Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone Float The Missouri In April?

Anyone float the Missouri in April? We are heading down to Great Falls mid April and want to include a day of fishing to start the season off. Any input would be great.

Thinking Spring will never arrive around Calgary this year- I have heard the Missouri Valley is a good 3 weeks ahead of us when it comes to spring, hatches, etc... I need to get some sun and warmth on my skin!

Be prepared for the weather. We were there last May and had rain, snow, sleet, high winds and beautiful sunshine. The BWO were out in force but nary a fish would take the dries. Small (and I do mean small!) size 22 and 24's were the key for nymphing. Drift boats can be rented out of Craig and guides too. The Miss is like a slow moving spring river with a couple of side channels from the dam down to Craig. Check out the website at headhuntersflyshop.com or The Trout Shop and you should be good to go. Nice places to stay in Craig as well. Nice size fish in the 18-20" range. "Bows, Browns and fat whitefish. Caught about 30 fish on our 7 hour drift from the dam to Craig. Drift boat rentals, nice flies and everything you need in the town of Craig at one of the three flyshops. Pm me for more info if you like.

Have fun.

FHD

Anyone float the Missouri in April? We are heading down to Great Falls mid April and want to include a day of fishing to start the season off. Any input would be great.

Thinking Spring will never arrive around Calgary this year- I have heard the Missouri Valley is a good 3 weeks ahead of us when it comes to spring, hatches, etc... I need to get some sun and warmth on my skin!

I floated the Miss last year on the Mothers Day weekend (9th May I think), and we hired a guide out of Craig (Headhunters Flyshop). The weather was certainly something we talked about as it snowed, blew, rained, then sunshine, then cold again. My partner got so wet, he ended up gettting all the signs of Hypothermia, so we phoned the flyshop and someone came out to pick him up. Luckily, he warmed up later that night, but it was scary. Anyhoo, the fishing was tp say the least spectacular! We fished tons of very very small nymphs and a few dries when we could. We brought over 30 to the boat. Other than it being so miserable outside, the trip was great. Fishing pressure was non existant and the town was very quiet with only the locals and a few fish bums who were camping at the river. If you haven't fished this river, I would highly recommend hiring a guide for one day. Speak to Mark Raisler at Headhunters Flyshop if your looking for a quality guy and guide. He certainly impressed me and I would recommend him to anyone. Hope this helps.....

Be prepared for the weather. We were there last May and had rain, snow, sleet, high winds and beautiful sunshine. The BWO were out in force but nary a fish would take the dries. Small (and I do mean small!) size 22 and 24's were the key for nymphing. Drift boats can be rented out of Craig and guides too. The Miss is like a slow moving spring river with a couple of side channels from the dam down to Craig. Check out the website at headhuntersflyshop.com or The Trout Shop and you should be good to go. Nice places to stay in Craig as well. Nice size fish in the 18-20" range. "Bows, Browns and fat whitefish. Caught about 30 fish on our 7 hour drift from the dam to Craig. Drift boat rentals, nice flies and everything you need in the town of Craig at one of the three flyshops. Pm me for more info if you like.

Have fun.

FHD

Hey FHD - 30 fish sounds like a lot for you! I was beside you in the other boat, and I only counted 3!!! LOL! Look forward to fishing the Elk with you this summer!

Cheers!

Have fun.

FHD

Hey FHD - 30 fish sounds like a lot for you! I was beside you in the other boat, and I only counted 3!!! LOL! Look forward to fishing the Elk with you this summer!

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies. I plan to hire a guide and let him do the rowing! Maybe later in the spring/early summer I will drag my boat down.

I drove past the river last year, sure is beautiful. I was kicking myself that I did not bring my rod. I meant to get down there last year- I will make the trip this year for sure.

I was there last summer for a few hours....stopped and fished on my way through....as far as I'm concerned it was a great little spot....not much else around but guys fishing....really well laid out for access to the river. It was my first day on a river with the fly rod and I managed to snag a 22" Brown on a Hopper.....scared the crap out of me when he slashed at it. He missed the first pass and took it on the next cast. I plan on getting down there again soon......Maybe even within the next month or so(not sure about their seasons down there). If I'll goes as planned I should be driving through there the last weekend in March....I guess we'll see what conditions are like. So many fly shops within 100' of each other......a really bad mix for the pocket book.

Just make sure if you have beer at Issak's that you find a Canadian Beer....I had some beer that the lady recommended from down there and it was like water.

Yeah, I've floated the Missouri in April. But it was in a canoe in Iowa. It was big, fast, muddy, laden with farm chemicals and packing plant effluent and fished like a box of chocolates. You never knew what you were gonna get; pike, gar, carp, sturgeon, catfish, bullhead, bass, redhorse, skipjack, dead guy, family pet, grain barge. . . .

I have fished the Missouri near Craig several times in the last couple of years, but the first time was late April and it was rainy & cold one day, but nice the next, but the fishing was awesome, we floated the river on 2 consecutive days on 2 seperate sections of the river caught many nice browns, rainbows & whitey's and even browns on drys. I also was guided by Mark then and once since and I highly recommend him, he works hard for you & it's a full day. I have also fished it in July and the Caddis hatch was amazing. Caddis everywhere and in my truck for weeks afterwards, but the trout were very selective so stop at the local shops to get the local patterns. Also have done it in January last year I needed to see open water and no snow the numbers werent the same but there was no ice then and it was a nice change. Goping back this year and I'm thinking it will be late April early May again. Also going to Dillon to do the Beaverhead again, then over to Livingston to try the Madison & Yellowstone. Good luck when you go & make sure you have a couple of Fat Tires at Izzaks