Fly Fusion Forums

Backing Question

ÜberFly

Gang,

I have an Orvis Battenkill LA III and the booklet states that while running a WF6F line I should be able to get 50 (no unit of measure given, but I presume it's yards) of 20# dacron backing. No way! I had 25 yards and the line still catches on the reel with WF6F GPX... I want to put some gelspun (or equivalent) on, but can't find instructions on what knot to use to connect the backing to the line (standard nail knot is not reco'd from what I read). What is reco'd is a "coaxial splice" (http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/gear/cutchin_gelspun.aspx). Anyone know where I can find instructions on how to tie a coaxial splice, I can't seem to find any, or have another reco to connect gelspun to line.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Peter

I'd reccomend not doing anything with Gel yourself (at home anyway). Go to a fly shop and get it done for you.

Gel needs to be put on the spool with a certain amount of tension, which is most easily done by a line-winding machine. If you don't have the tension, you will have the gel cut into itself on the first big pull that takes you into the backing.

Are you sure its a III?

http://www.orvis.com/intro_newwindow.asp?p...mp;subject=3550

they give u a ton more capacity then that. You should easily get 100 yds of 20 lb dac

Jay, as Din mentioned, it's the older model (2 seasons ago) and no way, absolutely not could I even get close to 100 yards on it (though on my other spool with SA - Streamer Express, I have no problem)!! As I mentioned, 25 yards seemed to be too much! If you can get more, I'll buy beer for an entire year!! The less expensive option (obviously) is to get gel put on at a shop...

Cheers,

P

P.S. Before anyone says anything SA - Streamer Express is a smaller diameter line!

I'd reccomend not doing anything with Gel yourself (at home anyway). Go to a fly shop and get it done for you.

Gel needs to be put on the spool with a certain amount of tension, which is most easily done by a line-winding machine. If you don't have the tension, you will have the gel cut into itself on the first big pull that takes you into the backing.

Are you sure its a III?

http://www.orvis.com/intro_newwindow.asp?p...mp;subject=3550

they give u a ton more capacity then that. You should easily get 100 yds of 20 lb dac

GPX lines are a half weight higher- might explain some of the yardage lost.

I connected some kelvar braid to my fly lines myself last winter. I just nail knotted a piece of heavy dacron (60lb?) to the fly line and then used an albright knot with the kevlar braid doubled. Shoe-goo on all the knots. I could not break it without fear of damaging my fly line. If you aren't planning on using super heavy tippets, this method should work.

I believe a coaxial splice is similar to how a braided loop is connected- just inch worm it on, a whip and some glue. I could not accomplish this with the braid I had, so I went the route described above.