Fly Fusion Forums

Speycasting Masterclass With Scott Mackenzie In Calgary.

speyghillie

Hi Guys,

Thought i would try and do a little special event in May by bringing over my good buddy Scott Mackenzie for a Speycasting Masterclass on da Bow.

Not cast in Stone as yet, but we where talking about it yesterday.... and i think i got him hooked on the idea.

Scott for anybody that does'nt know is regarded by most Speycasting experts, as the best speycaster in the world right now, 3 times world champion AAPGAI Instructor ect, ect.

I hope to do a speycasting class for a couple of hrs one evening followed by dinner and bullshit :D , a kinda speycasters meeting...just a chillout chat about Speycasting, great chance to ask about anything Spey.

The following day myself and Scott will do a Speycasting clinic , this will be a one off clinic as Scott has to fly out of Calgary to the US and Japan to teach there.

Scott will demo and teach with his new range of rods... i say new but he has been working on them for over a year now. :eek:

Will post as soon as i know its on for sure.

Gordo.

Hey Toolman,

No Dates as yet, but looking at Mid May, still got to work out the detail but hopefully i will have the dates in a week or so, that way i can book the flights ect, just waiting for Scott to make sure he can make it, will post as soon as he says its a go.

Gordo.

Gordon,

The long weekend in May, 16th-17th and Monday the 18th (holiday), would be a great time for you guys to come over. Weathers usually good and the water levels should still be reasonalbe. After that weekend, run off usually floods the banks.

Hey Toolman,

That weekend we will be in Oregon at the Sandy River Speyclave where Scott will be doing a demo and letting guys try out the new rods he has been working on for around a year now.

I will know the date in the next day or two, Just waiting to see if Scott is flying straight from a show in London, or heading home for a few days.

Looks like it will have to be a week day and possibly a few hrs in the evening they way the flights are working out.

It's a pity Zoom airline went tits up.

Gordo.

Hi Guys, spoke with Scott last night to try and sort out a Spey MasterClass on the Bow, now have the detail.

MONDAY THE 11TH OF MAY, An evening clinic on the Bow with Scott and Myself, A free casting demo and chat about all things Spey, come for dinner and a few beers after if you can make it.

TUESDAY THE 12TH OF MAY.

A FULL DAY MASTERCLASS WITH SCOTT AND MYSELF.

This is a one time deal for a Masterclass with Scott and Myself, and the only day Scott will be in Calgary because of commitments around the world.

The cost of the Full day will be $200.00 per person, this will include again a free Masterclass DVD, again numbers will be limited to in sure everybody get quality Instruction throughout the full day.

While Scott is know around the world for being the 3 times world champion distance Speycaster, these clinic's will not be all about distance casting, Scott runs the most popular Spey clinics in the UK and for Speycasters of all levels.

Scott will also have his new range of Spey rods for everybody at the clinic's to try out.

If you would like to book a spot for either the evening or the Full day, please send me a PM, if you have never Speycast or been Speycasting for Years......this really is a chance not to be missed.

Gordo.

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.

Red Hackle that produce Scott's Masterclass DVD are paying for our accomodation, so i have decided to make the evening a free event, seen as they are going to Pay.

So Hope to see you guys on the Monday night for a few hours, and hopefully we will go for dinner, a few beers and talk Speycasting.

Already there are 4 guys booked for the Tuesday........dont miss out.......you wont be disappionted.

Gordo.

Hi Guys,

There are only three places left for the Clinic with Scott and Myself, i know its a weekday and its not the best day, but its worth throwing a sickie or taking the day off, you will never see a guy cast so easy, and to get the chance to learn from Scott is well worth taking the day off.

Here's a wee clip from Scott's Masterclass DVD.

Gordon.

Hi Guys,

There are only three places left for the Clinic with Scott and Myself, i know its a weekday and its not the best day, but its worth throwing a sickie or taking the day off, you will never see a guy cast so easy, and to get the chance to learn from Scott is well worth taking the day off.

Here's a wee clip from Scott's Masterclass DVD.

Gordon.

I really encourage everyone that owns a spey rod to try and make it out to one of these events as it will not be a waste of money.

At $200 this is a chance of a lifetime and should not be missed out on, and to get a free DVD with it diffently makes it worth your time and money.

Just borrowed Scott's DvD from a friend and watched it last night and man was I blowen away. The opening scene alone is worth taking a look at (the link gordy provided)

My fav part in the bigging is either scott walking acropss the bridge with the ominous music playin in the background, or the airal veiw with the big massive loops scott is doing.

Can't wait for the class I feel like a crack addict needing his fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Toolman,

Sorry for the late reply, been crazy busy, got 400,000 rainbows to deal with at work this week.

There is still a couple of places left for the full day class, but only a couple, i will be advertising the Tuesday class in a Calgary fishing store in the next week or so, or thats the plan if i get round to it this week.

So if the guys that where interested want to be sure of a spot please ask them to drop me a PM.

This is a chance to learn from a guy regarded by AAPGAI MASTER INSTRUCTORS as the best Speycaster in the world, not only that you will be the first guys in North America to get to cast Scott's new Range of rods.

Please remember the Monday night DEMO,DINNER AND DBEER.

Gordo.

Hey gord,

I think having a beer night might on the demo night might be asking for trouble, don't forget you, scott need to be functional for the clinc.

LOL, j/k

Looking forward to this and having dreams about it.

Hey Bhurt,

Dont worry about us we are well trained in the art of drinking beer and teaching, Spoke with Scott this morning he flies in at 3pm Monday afternoon as he is in London doing a demo for a large fishing tackle store then its something to eat and then to the river for a wee demo and chat with anyone interested in Speycasting.

The demo as the full day will be at Southland dog Park (can use the bridge for river right and left) .

Both Myself and Scott are members of the Scottish Angling National Assocation, which expects us both to adhear to a code of conduct as Instructors, we must both have first aid, a child protection certificate , a health and safety certificate have done a written exam and presentation, we even have to attend a talk on appearance, clothing and behaviour.

So a beer or two is alright but thats all it will be on the Monday night.

If anybody know a good place for dinner and Speycasting Bullsh** after the demo, fire away and lets pick a place.

Thanks Gordo.

Got some new Spey stuff coming this week, and will bring my wee ladies 6wt and 7wt 2 handers. :D

Gord,

Just a suggestion but by my place about 5 or so mintues from where the clinic is (even nearer if you doing the demo in Fish Creek) is Brewsters Pub. Not a bad place, decent food too..........

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on the Free Monday night demo on Monday the 11th of MAY, the demo with Scott and myself will be at Southland dog park, for 5.30pm that way we can do a bit of Left and Right Bank, everyone is more than welcome to come along and watch and ask questions , try out a rod ect.

We will be going out for dinner after the demo and again everyone is more than welcome to come along and talk Spey, have dinner...............or just a beer.

Guys don't miss out on having the chance to watch and Chat and get some tips from Scott, a guy descibed by Way Yin of Scott Rods and many others as the best Speycaster in world.

Its a one time deal , be the first in North America to try out Scott's new range of rods and lines.

I would have to count the numbers, but pretty sure the class with Scott and Myself the following day is full.

Thanks fae Gordo.

I know I can't wait for both events (demo night and clinic) it should be a fun time and a chance to spemnd some time and talk to a world clss Master Caster is well worth it, even took a whole week off work so I can make it to this event.

The dinner should also be a good time as well.

EVERYONE THAT USES A TWO HANDER SHOULD TRY TO MAKE IT OUT TO ONE OF THESE EVENTS. I have found that diffrent perspectives on this love affair with the two handed rods has made me a better and wiser fisher.

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on the free demo and clinic myself and Scott Mackenzie are doing, both the Free demo and Clinic the following day will be at southland dog park, the demo at 5pm which will go on for a couple of hrs and same spot at 9am for the full day clinic, for the guys at the clinic please bring some lunch and suitable clothing.

I am also very happy to be doing a clinic on Sunday the 10th for Country Pleasures, really looking forward to meeting everyone and having, as always a great time in Calgary, i am looking forward to meeting everyone at the store for 8.30 on Sunday the 10th, and will be at the same spot........sounds like i should pitch a tent at the dog park, but if anybody is in the area please drop by for a chat, and a big thank you to Mike for letting me do a class for his fine store.

May is looking like a great month for all Calgary speycasters, and anyone interested in Speycasting, so please try to make it to one of the great demo's or Clinic's , i know Brian , Ed Ward, Myself and Scott are looking forward to meeting everyone, hopefully we can make the Spey community in Calgary get bigger every year.

Thanks and see you soon.

Gordon.