Fly Fusion Forums

How Many Species Of Trout In The Bow

caught a piece on the local news a few evenings ago about the trout along the glenmore trail underpass costing $400,000 to make and install. the city mouthpiece was talking about the bow river and stated that there are 5 species of trout in the bow. i immediately thought bullshit but later wondered if perhaps she's right.

personally have seen rainbow, brown and bull trout. are there in fact 2 others present?

Guest rusty
caught a piece on the local news a few evenings ago about the trout along the glenmore trail underpass costing $400,000 to make and install. the city mouthpiece was talking about the bow river and stated that there are 5 species of trout in the bow. i immediately thought bullshit but later wondered if perhaps she's right.

personally have seen rainbow, brown and bull trout. are there in fact 2 others present?

I've caught or seen caught 6 species: rainbow, brown, bull, cutty, laker, and brookie.

I'm a little bored, so why not.....

Technically, there are Rainbow, Brown and Cutthroat Trout.

Brookies, Bullies and Lakers are called trout, but are actually char, which is a different species all together.

Although they are all part of the Salmonidae family, so are chinook, Koho, etc. and we wouldn't call them Trout, would we.

So, technically, I'd say there are only three species of "Trout" in the Bow. :P

Seriously though. A few years ago, a few strange species made their way into the Bow, but haven't been seen for awhile, so I assume they didn't thrive.

They were Splake and Actual Dolly Varden that somehow ended up in the river. Either by illegal transport, or natural migration.

I know everybody knows this, but the Rainbows in the Bow have been confirmed as True Steelhead that were accidently stocked years ago....Thank goodness for that train wreck.

same here, caught a nice Brookie 2-3 lbs by the Highwood confluence a couple years ago.. check this out, blurred the face cause I don;t really know the guy, got this from a friend..was taken in 2005..and I'd say everybody will reconize the location..

laker2.jpg

Yep Rainbow,Brown, Bull, Cutty, Laker, and Brookies have all come to my hook at one point on the Bow. I know that spot and another one where I end up with lakers every now and again. I seem to nail the odd pike in a certain slow section a couple times a year.

There are a few in the Bow. Sometimes when you get a strike and loose your rig it might be a toothy critter not a bad knot.

Newbie question MTB: what are splake?

A hybrid Brookie and Laker. There's a lake in Alberta where they were stocked. I don't know if they are still there and I never fished for them.

If I remember correctly, it was a 19 KM hike in. I don't have my AFG to check, so I could be wrong on the distance.

Don't forget the Arctic Char that were accidently dumped into the Elbow by a hatchery truck, and may have made it into the Bow. They haven't been seen since, but how many guys would be able to tell the difference between an arctic char and a brookie if they caught it on the Bow. I used to fish for splake in Lake Minnewanka in Banff as a boy. Good times...

If we also include Cut-Bows and Tiger Trout that may have ended up in the Bow and you have about 10 species of trout!!!

Personally landed: rainbow, brown, brookie, bull, cutthroat...

Have not seen a laker myself in the Bow but do beleive they exist. Heck, have seen them in the Oldman below the damn, so why not the bow? :lol:

So that's 6....

Now as far as other species are concerned... I have landed: walleye, goldeye, mountain whitefish, lake whitefish, burbot (ling cod), suckers (probably about 4 or 5 species of them), sturgeon, goldfish, koi, northern pike, perch.... probably some others I just cant remember right now!

those arctic char escaped from the hatchery, not dumped. a remediation crew was out there electrofishng to get the char out of the elbow but surely not every one was captured and therefore could be anywhere in the elbow.

M

those arctic char escaped from the hatchery, not dumped. a remediation crew was out there electrofishng to get the char out of the elbow but surely not every one was captured and therefore could be anywhere in the elbow.

M

Allen's Trout Farm on Lott Ck is where the arctic char escaped from.

http://www.troutchar.ca/index.htm