Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Virgin

Teck71

Hey all,

new here and Have not actually touched a flyrod before but for 95 bucks the nice Lads down at Fish Tales are willin to try to teach me, and m'boy. the first Question I have Is more around expectations, to properly out fit for the year. what would I expect to fork out (conservativly) I'm Figurin about 1000 should set us both up not to bad, with a beginner rig.

Also A list of "your an idoit if you don't get this for fishing these rivers with" would be helpful.

Thanks for any advice you give.

Teck

I recently purchased the wife a rod kit from wholesale sports. its made by St. Croix. 9' 6wt, 4 piece rod. it came with rod, reel, line and backing. total cost was 164ish plus tax. it is not as nice as the sage i use ( entry level - sage launch 9' 5wt, 4 piece for $220 + reel, line and backing ) but i have fished with it and it was worth the money. I must say that i would like a better reel and line on it, but its great for a starter rod.

You dont need all the fancy toys a lot of people have. a large net would be good for the bow, a cheap metal one will work as you dont need the expensive wooden ones. they both hold fish. i have seen tons of guys that dont use a vest at all. they just use a backpack to carry their stuff, but if you want a vest, you dont need the most expensive one either, they all hold stuff.

I would however say get breathable waders as opposed to the rubber ones you can get for really cheap from various places. in rubber waders, you will discover a whole new meaning for sweating your ass off.

I am however no where near an expert as i am just getting back into fly fishing after a several year absence. Most of the guys on the forum will give opinions, but its easy to spend other peoples money.

also go into one of the fly shops in town ( fish tales for example ) and talk to the guys working there. they are all very helpful and will give your more personalized service.

Steven.

Polarized sunglasses both for protection and for the way they let you see into the water. Most people will tell you these are the most imortant piece of fly fishing equipment and I would tend to agree with them.

A net is very helpful for new fly fishers as tailing and controling a fish does take a bit of experience a net will help you land and release the fish as quickly and delicately as possible..... one added note though cheap nets suck and break buy a decent net.

2 setups for a grand...... should be doable if you are talking rods, fly lines, sunglasses leaders, a decent selection of flys.... might push your budget if you want to get waders and felt soled boots in for under 1000 as well but you can start without them and you might even get them with your budget. Perhaps check out Temple Fork Outfitter rods as they are a decent product at a good price with a lifetime warranty...... Some people quite like em some don't but thats true for all companies. Make sure you get a decent fly line if its not a Weight forward or double taper line worth 30 plus bucks chances are it sucks perhaps do some google searchs on choosing a fly line to get more info or ask a shop guy to explain what a fly line does and what the better lines are actually going to do for you. Go to the fly fish calgary archives section which takes you to the old fly fish calgary forum which is due to be locked in a couple weeks and do a search for choosing rods, or lines, or waders, or ect ect and you will likely find some info that applies to your situation. In my opinion you are better off to spend money on gear and terminal tackle then to waste it on fly vests...... they are nice but a backpack is cheap holds more and basically accomplishs the same job I actually prefer a backpack but thats me. Do some reading on tapered leaders and tippit materials try to get an understanding for the reasons and uses for the different products and weights. You will be happy that you took a lesson and further lessons might also be reccomended if you can get em they will shorten the learningt curve. Last take some grammar, spelling and punctuation courses so that in a few years when you answer this question it makes sense unlike mine.

As a flyfish of one year what I would recommened is that you get yourself a TFO rod, sure they are not the top qualility but Springbrook (the distrubtor for TFO) is located here in the city and for whatever reason if you break your rod it only cost you $25 per piece broken and they will replace it that way you are back on the river the next day. If you ask some of the hardcore guys here mst of them use the TFO rods. But try out a bunch and pick the one that you like.

As for reels I bought a Tioga and lets just say I abuse the reel so bad that it never made it inside the house all winter and still works very nice, I paied $155 for it. The mayfly reels are also a great beginner reel and to boot when you buy it it also comes with a extra reel.

I also recommened that you get yourself a pair of waders, and felted wader boats. Once again the Springbrook boots are very nice and with the felted bottoms it makes it alot easier to walk on those slippery rocks, but watch out for wet grass. I am very much enjoying my Wardell waders (once again a springbrook product) and I belive they are roughly about $220. Whatever you do make sure you get a pair of breathable waders as you will sweat like a pig in the summertime.

Some odds and ends are the following, Poliorized sunglass or any type of eye protection, the other weekend I had snagged up on bottom and when I pulled out my hooks they came fling out and hit me square in the sunglasses, thanks god I had them on or I might of only been seen a #4 SJW.