Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Fishing Locations Between Banff-canmore

bigbrooktrout

Go West from Cochrane for a ways.

Go South a ways. Get out of car. Walk. When feet get wet, fish.

As JMasson said, get a Backroads mapbook. Or Barry Mitchell's Hwy 40 book. Your problem will be picking which river/stream to fish. Seriously.

But nobody is going to give detailed directions on line. If you give directions on line, you are guaranteed to make somebody very irritated.

Go West from Cochrane for a ways.

Go South a ways. Get out of car. Walk. When feet get wet, fish.

As JMasson said, get a Backroads mapbook. Or Barry Mitchell's Hwy 40 book. Your problem will be picking which river/stream to fish. Seriously.

But nobody is going to give detailed directions on line. If you give directions on line, you are guaranteed to make somebody very irritated.

nice reply Rick! i really like the first part. when feet get wet, fish. great stuff!

But remember Squatcher, I'll be fishing your spots this year since I planted that GPS in Humble's dog! Try not to pee upstream of me. Oh, and I bought some run flat tires, so that trick won't work either.

your a good guy rick, id never do that to you.

Hey, welcome to one of the most beautiful little towns(or what used to be a little town) in the world. I grew up in Cochrane and have been flyfishing those parts since I was about 7 years old so Ill throw yah some advice because I know access can seem really daunting on the cochrane-banff stretch, or at least the cochrane to ghost lake part.

Of course you have highway 40 not to far out of Cochrane on the way to Ghost lake, and if you look on a map of highway 40(The Forest Trunk Road) you will see a million little creeks that are fantastic fun, as someone earlier mentioned Barry Mitchells Trout Highway book is a good start.

But if you want to fish the Bow this is my suggestion....at the big 4 way intersection where highway 22 crossects with the road to ghost lake you will see a little dirt road turn off that runs along the right hand side of west valley and along the railroad tracks. Now if you drive down that little dirt road(best if you have a 4x4 and some good tires but my grandpa used to do it in his 1988 buick when he lent out his truck to my uncle, oh what we do for good fishing). So if you follow that road down you come to a bridge....this is as far as I can tell you, cant tell yah specific spots.....but if you walk over that railroad bridge it gives you access to the entire stretch between cochrane and ghost lake, just depends how far your willing to walk <--poke--<

Hope that helps a bit!

PS...make sure you listen for trains before you run across the bridge...when I was about 15 me and a buddy were in the middle when one came around the bend and lets see I made it by the hair of my nose from becoming a pancake. Good luck!

Would anyone have detailed intructions on places between banff-canmore that are decent for walking and wading fly-fishing?

I just moved to cochrane and looking for new palces to fish north on the bow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just get yourself a good map showing the rods in the area where you want to go. I doubt if there is anywhere on the bow that doe not hold fish. I fish that stretch at times and do well. Look for structure and seams. Do a search on this site and read old post there is a wealth of information here.

Hey Bigbrooktrout

I can give you detailed instructions on how you can go :$*%&: yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cochrane fishing is for real Men!!!! not whimpy :$*%&:

The nerve of some idiots coming on here and asking to have the world handed to them.

Andy we should head out on Sunday but you can lead with all your new info <--poke--<

PS I think you could have come up with a better handle then bigbrooktrout LOSER

Hey Bigbrooktrout,

Unfortunately the fishin' holes aren't as easy to find as the @$$ hole that posted the above. I am sure there are some decent folks that will try to help you out.....Try checking out the local flyfishing shops.

Signed,

BIG BOW BIKER(I came up with the handle about eight years ago)

Hey Bigbrooktrout,

Unfortunately the fishin' holes aren't as easy to find as the @$$ hole that posted the above. I am sure there are some decent folks that will try to help you out.....Try checking out the local flyfishing shops.

Signed,

BIG BOW BIKER(I came up with the handle about eight years ago)

well said BigBowbiker

Bigbrooktrout, another way is to post in the "Fishing Get Togethers" section. double bonus here find some new water make a new friend. at the very least your not exporing new water by yourself.

Tightlines

Teck