Fly Fusion Forums

Vehicle Safety

I would think things like, tires, brakes, ball joints ect., windshield, all the lights and any recalls are going to get checked for sure. If I remember correct, if the vehicle is less than 10 years old, you wouldn't need an inspection.

"The safety check program requires a certified technician to inspect the fuel and exhaust systems, engine controls, steering, suspension and braking systems, wiring and lamps, tires, glass, wipers, defrosters, as well as the overall body condition. All components must be within manufacturer's standards or wear tolerances to pass the inspection."

MMMMM CAKE!!!!

Its any vehicle over 12 years. Watch for Cracks in the Windshield that interfere with the drivers view, brakes are a big one (worn rotors/ pads), and i would guess no leaks in the exhaust system. Obviously this isn't everything, but easy things to watch out for.

orrrrrrrr, you could just slip the mechanic $100 bucks....lol

Just wanted to pass along a negative experience I had with Change Auto down near Chinook Mall. He claims to be the cheapest inspection guy in the city but he's a crook. Myself, as well as a friend, have caught him red handed trying to rip us off. He'll tell you that you have all these problems and want a huge chunk of cash, he did it to both of us. It didn't feel right so we went elsewhere and were passed with having to deal with considerably less issues.

Thinking a Project truck for my son, He is apprentice Mech. but don't want get him to many issues, before he can have it on the road. buddy up north has an '86 k-blazer he is willing to part with.

Hi Teck

Had a few experiences with used vehicles. Watch out where you take it to get it inspected. Example: I took a vehicle to a place that specialized in brakes and tires. The tires were fine, but not new. The brake pads and shoes had many months left on them. They failed the inspection based on 1 tire having some kind of blemish and they measured the rear shoes in the wrong place - again, finding a spot where it was the most worn and saying they were all worn. Along with the inspection form they provided a estimate for the 'necessary' work. They would also re-issue the inspection for free. They didn't say squat about small cracks in the windshield.

Contacted the insurance company for some documentation on what constituted a pass or fail. Had some whiney-voiced prune tell me that brakes and tires were very important safety features on a vehicles. It was entirely up to the mechanic.

Advice - buy or get new tires and put them on for the inspection. Also put in new brake shoes and pads. If the mechanic sees these things, he's less likely to be so critical of other things. I'm not saying you're trying to get him to overlook things, but he may be less tempted to rip you off.

Cheers