Fly Fusion Forums

Steel On The Torridge With Eumer Tube Fly

ogilvie

Woke up this morning after a great day Steelhead fishing only to find more than 6" of fresh snow on the ground...however,these magnificant fish make up for all the crap we have to deal with...Like so many other fly fishers I am finding efficient ways to get to the fish without having to throw lead....so,this day the fly was a Eumer weighted tube fly body tied in a bright white/Pink and red with a slight amount of flash...After experimenting last year with these flies on a floating line it was a pleasant surprise to see the depth it was getting to ...especially on the faster and larger systems...a great way to go.Will be on the Skeena Tribs in March to further this method...

And no I wasn't using a Skagit set-up...I was using the 7/8 Elixir Spey line with a Intermediate Poly tip and about 5 feet of Snowbee Magic line(14lb) ...the Magic line assist in getting down by it's thin diameter to strength quality. The two hander was the Snowbee 12' 6/7 Torridge...sweet little rod

C

More Snow....brrrrrrr, i no like, nice fishy Mr C , hope to see you and the wee boss woman when you get over to my backyard, we can nip up and see Harry and fish da Spey river if you have time.

Gordo.

Pick up a couple of those guys in Calgary and take them with you.

Thats actually a good plan Gordo..we unfortunately had a foot of snow ...what a year..! ANd to add frusration to this winter we are about to have heavy rains on Sunday..meaning floods...so much for my days off.

Jmasson..glad you like that big stick(ZR2)...it should be a fantastic Skagit rod for those big Skeena rivers...on another note;Val has had the Torridge for several years now and never let me fish it so this fall we were fishing for Coho on One of the North Island Rivers and she had a floating line on her rod...but couldn't get down to the fish..so,me being the wise guy,I suggested she use my rod and I would play with the Torridge...she hooked a fish,I dropped her rod(on the rocks),helped her land the fish,went back to playing with her rod and snapped the tip about 6" from the top.The other people with us saw this but I put my finger to my lips before they could say a thing..She never found out,replaced the tip in a sneaky way and ordered a rod for myself...very light in hand,fast,powerful and a delight to use. And at 12' is a great stick to travel down rivers in my kickboats with.

C

Nice fish Courtney! And a nicer looking fly to boot.

Now Scirroco....only from a good fly tyer would you hear that...these tube flies are fast becoming the way to fish Steelhead and big trout...will definitely target big Lakers this coming Summer in the Yukon with them and of course Steelhead from now to then... What I really like is the way they can work the water columns effectively without having to cast tons of T14...By using small diameter leaders/tippets off a good floating or Elixir line we can get these small weighted flies well down if necessary...the key here is we have the ability to almost select the depths we want to work at..

even in faster water there is less impact on the fly and line from mending and loose line tactics...

C