Fly Fusion Forums

Trip To Bc

Hello all,

So in August, I have about a week scheduled to get to port qocquitlam. I was hoping to do up some fishing/camping all allong the way, as well as fish pitt lake/river( which is where I'm ending up). According to resources, there is a Sockeye run then.

So I was hoping I could get some advice on places to camp/fish. I'lll be getting national parks and a BC license so I'll be able to hit the some points allong the way. Any advice would be appreciated.

I also would like some advice on any flies that I should have tied up for the sockeye/dolly varden. I imagine streamers is the way to go, but I'm willing to spend alot of time filling a box for the journey.

Don't have any advice because we usually fish lakes in the Kamloops area when in B.C., but one of the places I've always wanted to fish is the upper Pitt River, so let me know if you make it there and what it was like!

well that flossing doesn't seem to sporting, at all does it? I've read some articles on them but since they primarly feed on plankton, they are hard to fair angle for. I found a few sparsely tied flies with green. i'll have to give them a try, the consensus is green whatever for sockeye.

• 1 month later...

i dont know if you have made it to BC yet, but from what i have heard they have closed the fraser to fishing for sockeye, i missed why but they only expect about a million to reach the spawning grounds so no sport and commerical fishing and very limited native fishing and no sale of sockeye to the public.

as for camping and fishing along the way, i'm sorry to say, i don't really remember... mini and stoney lakes on the douglas lake ranch were good and so was knouff lakes outside of kamloops.

sorry i can't be of much help, it has been forever since i have camped and fished bc and when i had it was with my parents os i didnt really pay much attention to where i was.

if you hit the lower main land. the squamish. chehalus (spelling??) and chequimus rivers i have heard are all great. you could try the chilliwack/veder for dollies.

i'm heading out this weekend

I was up on the Skeena earlier this summer, and the preferred sockeye “fly” used for flossing was a red Gammy about a size 4 -6, with a thin piece of orange egg yarn tied above the eye and knot.

The guys would take the red Gammy, and tie it on to their leader. They’d then cut about a 2 inch piece of egg yarn, take a strand of that 2 inch piece that was about a quarter of the original diameter, then wet it with their mouth, roll it until it was quite thin, and then tie it just above the knot with an overhand knot, trim it to about the length of the shank and start casting.

The theory was that the yarn would get stuck in the sockeye’s teeth, to help hook up, but I met a guy using bare hooks that was just as successful. I did see quite a few fish hooked in the mouth, but there were also quite a few that were foul hooked

Not to pass judgment, on those who do it, but I never felt comfortable with the process, and decided to target other salmon instead.