Fly Fusion Forums

Beaded Vs Non Beaded Flys

Unless I'm tying them for someone else, I almost never use beads and if I do it most likely will betied using glass beads. Bead heads tend to dive unnaturally I find and not great for swimming. Just becauseI don't use beads often doesn't mean I don't weight my flies

Just depends I have some in my box not a lot, but I prefer non brass bead variety for most flies. There are some exceptions like Chironomids and other flies and bead headed buggers. where I like to include glass beads in various colors. So I guess it's a cross section depending on the type. With nymphs I like to weight them instead of using a bead head, though I have a few with beads on the body..

There are also times where a bead can be used to simulate the bubble some nymphs use to rise to the surface so I guess it's a variety.

Edited by SilverDoctor

I like my brass beadheads and tie 75% of my nymphs with them (except stones) simply because in my experience they work well. I used to use tungsten but find they sink too fast so now use a standard bead head. With so much wieght they don't have a natural motion.

I'm a bead body fly fanatic. 10/0 glass czech seed beads are the greatest thing since hooks. Not so much a metal bead head guy, but use single glass beads as nymph heads also. Mostly stillwaters where rocks and flow don't come into play, however, I do use 6/0 glass beads behind a steel bead for salmon flies.

Bead-bodied micro leeches are my "thing".

Bhead_Bbodied_Micro_Leeches.jpg

Couple of Brian Chan's killers:

Brian_s_Ruby_eyed_Leech.jpg

and stages of stillwater caddis:

Boo_Caddis_Stages.jpg

j