Fly Fusion Forums

Swinging Flies On Da Bow

speyghillie

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i have been tossing lots but the fish have not wanted anything to do with my stuff. Right now im just working on casting really good for BC and Costa Rice. How has it been for you?

i have 10-12 days on the Bow in January and every day so far this month....weather has been very decent and the fish not so bad either

all spey but i'm rarely flickin more then the skagit head,makes light work of it with the 12'6

been playing with the sink tip and the streamers,shooting a cpl rods lengths at a 45 down river,need some work in that area but it's doable if i get in the rythm

I have done a little bit of swinnging flies haven't had alot of success a few bumbs here and there, mostly just practicing my casting so not really fishin.

Hey gord when you come over you better bring me some good scottish whiskey then I will show you how to drink, lol

Well we are getting Snow like you guys would be proud of, still snowing, England has ground to a halt.. Ha ha.. and more forecast for the weekend. so no castin for me.. got loads of study work so thats good.. well sorta good.

Will be on the Spey no matter what the weather next week.

Hey gord when you come over you better bring me some good scottish whiskey then I will show you how to drink, lol

Will bring some of the good stuff for sure, not the tourist stuff ,and we will see how you get on bhurt .. see if you can walk the walk. :D

Gordo.

Well we are getting Snow like you guys would be proud of, still snowing, England has ground to a halt.. Ha ha.. and more forecast for the weekend. so no castin for me.. got loads of study work so thats good.. well sorta good.

Will be on the Spey no matter what the weather next week.

Will bring some of the good stuff for sure, not the tourist stuff ,and we will see how you get on bhurt .. see if you can walk the walk. :D

Gordo.

Hehhehehehehe, I know I can keep up the only thing is can you keep up with me!

Also when you get up here I will teach you (LOL) how to use the so called Ladies stick and how to hunt the elusive bow river browns!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Guys,

Whaaaaats Up, is the weather any better, is anybody out fishing the Bow or other rivers ? , i am sure Toolman will be out no matter the weather, so was just checking to see if Calgary is baskin in sunshine and the fishing are jumping all over the place ?

The snow is all gone here, apart from a little on the mountains so its looking good for the Spey for the next while anyway.

I really hope i can get back sometime and see all you ladies castin <--poke--<

I have a couple of flies i want to try on the Bow that are so deadly i have to tie them on behind a tree . :D

Gordo.

Hey Gordon, weathers been reasonable so far in 09'...The fishin's been easy, as always and of course our girls are much prettier than those bowed legged, Highland lassie's you've been courtin' all winter...

ps. You've got tree's in those hills?...We've got mountains...real ones...hahaha!

Hey Toolman,

Nothing wrong with the girls in Calgary, and yes they are pretty, but i do feel sorry for them because all the good lookin guys are in Scotland. <--poke--<

I wish i had time to come over and show you guys how to do some nymph fishin on the Bow. <--poke--< Scottish style Nymphing, its called guddling.

Toolman is true you have mountains and we have little hills, and you do have lovely girls in Canada... well some anyway, but to my amazement i just found out that, and i know you won't believe it.................................. ICE HOCKEY was invented in SCOTLAND.

Gordo da Poka.

Hey Toolman,

Nothing wrong with the girls in Calgary, and yes they are pretty, but i do feel sorry for them because all the good lookin guys are in Scotland. <--poke--<

I wish i had time to come over and show you guys how to do some nymph fishin on the Bow. <--poke--< Scottish style Nymphing, its called guddling.

Toolman is true you have mountains and we have little hills, and you do have lovely girls in Canada... well some anyway, but to my amazement i just found out that, and i know you won't believe it.................................. ICE HOCKEY was invented in SCOTLAND.

Gordo da Poka.

Then why aren't the Scot's any good at it? LOL

Hey Toolman,

Gordo da Poka.

Now Gord///you must be talking about Scotland or should we say New Scotland/Nova Scotia!

And the girls might be pretty even there.....!!??a lass at last!

• 1 month later...

When Swinging flies there is typically a mend move initially in the cast. If you are able to Stack Mend you can also put extra line into the swing allowing the fly to creep along very naturally without too much influence from the moving water impact on the line. When fishing for Steelhead I am a firm believer in letting my fly stay in the ZONE for as long as possible...this is also true for Trout of kinds. Many times I will swing my fly well into the backing as I would if I were using gear. The change in fly speed encountered during the change of Direction at the end of the swing many times encourages a strike . This particularly holds true when using a larger minnow pattern...

Something more important to a swing is the time it takes to get the fly down into the Zone,whatever that may be depending on Species. having worked with weighted Tube flies over the past 3 to 4 years has opened my eyes to the need to get the fly down "NOW"! More hook-ups

C