Fly Fusion Forums

Speycasting

speyghillie

Hi guys

I really like what Toolman and Max have done for the Spey world in Calgary, they are both great guys and Spey has come along way in Calgary with there help..... it really is great fun and i know everybody will learn alot from them in the Spey world, why would'nt you they both understand Spey casting and for the Bow, i wouldn't know better guys for Speycasting, they really know there river.

But for me ..... this is where i jump off....... the Spey casting forum has become all about promoting one company and its not for me.

Have fun .

Gordo.

Gordon, don't be too concerned about the comments and interests of a few individuals promoting their buddies, favorite brand or flyshop. Everyone has their favorite fly shop or rod, brand etc...

I hope that you will continue to play an active role in our Spey community, as you have since it started a couple of years ago, as your contributions, comments, skills and experience are of value to all.

Greg

i think you summed it up with

LOOP LOOP. has anybody mentioned LOOP. :eek:

Gordo.

When you do a search for what you said above on the spey sub-forum, and out of the 7 pages of topics, at least 60%+ contain some reference to this company...it's getting more pushing product, then sharing beliefs...

As much as they make great products, they certainly aren't the spey company, and its sad that this forum starts to make beginners believe that (before they've been given the chance to try what else is available), and not fair to the fly shops in calgary that offer just as comparable, or perhaps even better products..but not given a chance

I'll echo Greg's sentiments here. As a newbie spey caster, I've enjoyed your comments and advice a great deal. I'm always saddened by the departure of one of the good guys.

Neil

Regardless of where you go, you will get folks that like to think that one brand is the end-all and be-all. Let the proponents of Loop, Sage, TFO ect. have their say, but lets make it our responsibility to talk about the Clan's, Beulah's, Snowbee's, CND's, TFO's, Burkhiemers, ect. that are out there for folks to try.

Don't give up so easily Gordon, that's not a very Scottish trait.

Colin

When you do a search for what you said above on the spey sub-forum, and out of the 7 pages of topics, at least 60%+ contain some reference to this company...it's getting more pushing product, then sharing beliefs...

This is an open forum, people are free to share their thoughts, experiences, preferences with out asking anyone for permission.

As much as they make great products, they certainly aren't the spey company, and its sad that this forum starts to make beginners believe that (before they've been given the chance to try what else is available), and not fair to the fly shops in calgary that offer just as comparable, or perhaps even better products..but not given a chance

The local fly shops have been publicly invited to participate in this Spey community and attend our regular Sunday Spey Gatherings...For some reason, none of them have shown up, nor contributed very much to our Spey community/forum...

It's the many members, both locally and from abroad, that are volunteering their time (for free), to help new casters get started, answering questions posted in the Spey Lounge, as well as donating their time, experiences at Spey gatherings, letting folks try their gear out, giving casting tips etc., and for this I extend a big thank you to all members...

We are all part of this exciting, growing Spey community...

So, maybe the local shops should get involved, rather than play the "it's unfair" card. I personally owe nothing to any flyshop, either locally or abroad and am not about to allow private interests to censor my opinions, preferences or comments.

ps.1... Loop rocks! hahahahaha...

ps. 2...And, I would again like to thank all members from outside of the Calgary area who contribute to this Spey community as well...We appreciate that you share your knowledge, experiences, advice, insights with us. Keep it coming!

From the Specail events thread about our Sunday Spey gathering a couple of weeks ago...

I quote...

"There will be a great selection of Spey rods to cast, including rods from Loop, CND, Beulah, TFO, Snowbee, Echo, and an assortment of line systems and shooting heads from Vision, Airflo, Rio, Loop, Snowbee, Beulah, CND...

The one brand we haven't seen much of at any of our Spey gatherings, are two handers from Sage. It sure would be nice if someone from one of the local shops showed up with a few of the Z-Axis and TCX models to cast. It would also be nice to cast some of the GLoomis models as well, such as the GLX, Dredger, Stinger series... We invite any of the local shops to feel free to bring down any Spey/Switch rods/lines to demo and let folks try out etc."

And, I have invited local shop owners/staff in person and via email as well...

It would be a loss to all, if Gord left the board, I for one enjoy the insights and comments.

On the matter of "one brand" maybe I've been around these types of public posting "Boards" for too long. I believe people speak best about what they know best and I've not found any of the posts regarding LOOP or other brands to be overly "promotional". If posters are "Pro-Staff" with any brand, they should acknowledge this in their signatures and readers can take what they want from it. Maybe this thread will cause some folks to moderate their posts, but I'm 100% with Toolman about censorship. Whether a "poster" has (or not) some vested interest in a product, this should not preclude them from sharing their knowledge, short of outright ADVERTISING by the manufacturer.

Hi guys

I really like what Toolman and Max have done for the Spey world in Calgary, they are both great guys and Spey has come along way in Calgary with there help..... it really is great fun and i know everybody will learn alot from them in the Spey world, why would'nt you they both understand Spey casting and for the Bow, i wouldn't know better guys for Speycasting, they really know there river.

But for me ..... this is where i jump off....... the Spey casting forum has become all about promoting one company and its not for me.

Have fun .

Gordo.

I certainly understand the comments here and respect all fly casters, at times it can be a bit OFFF because of the hype and special interests. For me it has always been the proof is in the pudding. Fishing well,casting well and playing it forward. It is always,for me,about the fly fishing experience and the associations made along the way. The Alberta Spey Casters community is growing and needs to grow simply because of the great waters you have.....and fish.

Now if only we can get the weather to co-operate....so we can fish

C

thanks gordy.. sad too hear ... i feel everyone who has bin contributing has given there own opinion on what brand or brands they own and like too fish.... only question i have is why dont you and others who believe and love other products speak up and recommend them two rather than not recommend anything too new speycasters? it wont hurt my feelings.. we all find products we respect and trust through use... so speak up and give your 2 cents

Please don't go Gordon, how about some input about your favorite rods, styles experience. I fish a middle of the road rod a Deer Creek. Hasn't stopped me form having a lot of fun with a great rod. Lots of companies making great gear now. Work on those great styles you taught me and catch the odd wee fishie in the process.

if you do decide not to post I just want to say thank you for your insight into teh world of Spey. If you do write again I will always look forward to your great posts.

Fat Boy is back.

Well i guess i will jump back in, i still think the way forward is to say of you work or support a company in anyway, but i guess its ok here, so i will just have to understand that (Gordie soon to be selling for 6 companies in Canada, so look out. :D for loads of ads)

I have a company really interested in doing some Spey stuff in Calgary... and they are going to pay my flights, :eek: look what happens when you spit the dummy out now and again... free flights and car hire.

Good suff.

Gordo.