Fly Fusion Forums

Nor-vise

Tungsten

Love mine, will also have mine at the show on Sunday. Seems like people either love em or hate them depending on your tying style. The vice itself is only part of the system. To take advantage of the vice you should also have an auto bobbin, comes with some nor sets, separate in others. Either the Nor version of teh auto bobbin or the Ekich which I hear is very good. Always try before you buy.

Are the small inline jaws ok for everthing,#16 princes or14 elk hairs or do you need the fine point conversion?

That is a matter of preference....I use both for those sizes......I'll have all 4 heads there at the show and you can check the the small in line and fine point set for yourself. I'll also have both types of auto bobbins there as well; the norlander and the ekich

I have only the fine point conversion and tie #20 through #1/0 spey flies on it. You can special order the Norvise with only the jaw(s) you want. The fine point jaws need counterbalance if you want it to spin smoothly.

I use the hub off the large in line set for the fine point and that balances it just fine. I have talked with Norm on this issue and he believes the larger hub is the best option for trying to balance the system with the fine points.

it is a great vise for sure, being able to tie flies uber fast, but when i was going to to get the nor-vise the only thing that stopped me was not the price tag the fact that you need a speacial bobbin. for this you cannot change your thread on one bobbin but since i have 15 threads i tie with i would have to get 15 bobbins. i would find this a pain in the arse and costly just for bobbins.

Hope this helps

Kyle

it is a great vise for sure, being able to tie flies uber fast, but when i was going to to get the nor-vise the only thing that stopped me was not the price tag the fact that you need a speacial bobbin. for this you cannot change your thread on one bobbin but since i have 15 threads i tie with i would have to get 15 bobbins. i would find this a pain in the arse and costly just for bobbins.

Hope this helps

Kyle

Kyle you don't need to have that many bobbins, what you would need is extra spools that fit the bobbin. You can get them in packs of 3 or packs of 10. Also you don't have to have the auto bobbins for this vise, regular bobbins can be used but it's slower is all. The biggest advantage of the auto bobbin is the fact that the thread retracts its self which is a huge time saver.

The Norlander bobbin is a complete piece of crap compared to the Ekich. I own both and haven't touched the Norlander since the Ekich showed up. Faruk is an absolute wealth of information on thread too - when I called him to place my order we chatted about thread for over an hour.

The spooling thing is not the end of the world, but it's still a pain in the butt when your spool runs out in the middle of a fly. However, as Faruk pointed out when I talked to him, there's no way that you can respool the thread with the same constant tension that the manufacturer uses. Plus, the biggest pain with the Norlander is that you have to wrap the thread around the frame to balance the weight of the bobbin. The Ekich is balanced perfectly and the spring tension is a lot better.

I use a few dozen different thread spools and some of them only on occasion. The Ekich is the perfect bobbin for a recreational tier as far as I'm concerned.

The only slight drawback is that the Ekich occasionally needs to be reset by pulling the thread spool free of the drive pin. It takes less than half a second and is really easy to get used to.

The Norlander bobbin is a complete piece of crap compared to the Ekich. I own both and haven't touched the Norlander since the Ekich showed up. Faruk is an absolute wealth of information on thread too - when I called him to place my order we chatted about thread for over an hour.

The spooling thing is not the end of the world, but it's still a pain in the butt when your spool runs out in the middle of a fly. However, as Faruk pointed out when I talked to him, there's no way that you can respool the thread with the same constant tension that the manufacturer uses. Plus, the biggest pain with the Norlander is that you have to wrap the thread around the frame to balance the weight of the bobbin. The Ekich is balanced perfectly and the spring tension is a lot better.

I use a few dozen different thread spools and some of them only on occasion. The Ekich is the perfect bobbin for a recreational tier as far as I'm concerned.

The only slight drawback is that the Ekich occasionally needs to be reset by pulling the thread spool free of the drive pin. It takes less than half a second and is really easy to get used to.

thanks that is great info I will have to check it out...

The Norlander bobbin is a complete piece of crap compared to the Ekich.

Just to qualify that and put in perspective for those not familiar with auto bobbins, I would rather use my Nor auto bobbin than a standard bobbin. It is extremely well made. Though I often use a non auto for Salmon flies and special uses. Will most likely pick up a Ekich at some point this year but the nor auto is a great bobbin for the price. I have two nor autos and six spools and it serves me well.

Well after some thought 300$ is just a little to much for me right now so i thought i would try and build my own .I had some bearings and scrap metal laying around ,took apart my old vise and came up with this .Ugly as hell but it works,just need to add some counter balance weight.At least it gives me an idea what its like to tie with a rotary

That is a cool rig. I saw some pics of a guy who turned his own version of th Norvise in a lathe. It is really a pretty simple idea/mechanism, when you think about it. Probabaly why it works so well.

I use the Norlander bobbin because he offered a lifetime warrentee on the bobbin. Ekitch only said he would offer a 1 year. A one year warrantee on a $100 bobbin? I think he should have more confidence in his product if he is charging that much. Norlander said that if anything went wrong with his bobbin, ever, he would repair or replace it.

If you like the rig you did up, keep your eye out for a used Norvise. The vise is not to some people's taste, and some people with more money than sense buy it without trying it. I found one in very good shape with the standard jaws and fine point jaws for $175.