Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River

Hello everybody,

I just moved to the city a couple of weeks ago from Hinton. I'm looking at doing some fishing on the Bow this winter and was wondering if anyone could recomend some general areas within the city limits that are worth checking out in the winter. Just kinda lookin to get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks.

Most if not all the good fly shops in town will have a little map of all the accesses for a few bucks. That'd be the best place to get yourself started. Or head south on deerfoot, then take bow bottom trail south, and stay on bow bottom trail south till it enters fish creek park and gets really, really small ... and keep going till you get to the boat launch and go up or down from there. good fishing, and you'll probably run into some people from this message board who you can ask some questions of and get some good solid info... if you have trouble catching fish on the bow take the time to sit and watch what those who are catching fish, are doing. Try and follow maxwell around and hide in the bushes behind him and study :):)

Flyster,

Contact our trusty moderator and guide Maxwell. I'm 1,000% sure if you took a guided trip with him you will save yourself days if not weeks or months of frustration. Maxwell was born not with a pacifier, but a flyrod in his mouth "as you can see from most of his photos its still there".

One trip with Maxwell and you will learn more than you could even imagaine about the Bow River. I think he has been fishing the Bow since he was 5.

Tight lines and sharp hooks,

Capt Rob

definately book max for a walk and wade,he's all about getting people catching fish,casting better and over all a better grasp on the sport, ...money well spent to say the least

in the mean time get out to the fly shops,read back into the forums here for set-up tips tricks etc.

then just pound the river...do some walking and driving around

some advice i can give you is that even tho the bow is a big river to look at it breaks down into small sections quite easy....compare those sections to a small mountain stream,if it looks like it should hold fish it probably does.oh i have another piece of advice,learn the regs,respect the areas and the fish,catch and release promotes more fish for you and others to catch again.so handling of fish is very important too

most people won't lead you to their favorite spots but they will post/tell you what's been working ...that gives you a lot to play off ...the rest is just foot work

good luck and welcome to your new addiction

Big thanks for all of the responses. I look forward to participating on this board once I get my feet wet and a few fish to the net. I'll definately have to consider getting in touch with Maxwell, I've seen a bunch of his photos in the photo section and its pretty clear he knows what he's doing.

Cheers!

Max is easy to find...just look for his "unique" set up

Robsfavorite.jpg

were can i order that fancy stick i need more parts for my last one.. lost it while yelling at a feesh! flyster i will be giving spring and fall walk and wade specials again too board members this year so in the mean time do what others have mentioned and get in touch if u wish down teh road. do a search and look up nymphing, bow river fishing, bow nymphing, streamers etc. and u will find youself tons of info !