Fly Fusion Forums

Latest Project

flyangler

Thanks fellas. I just hope they make a nice display. I've made a color photocopy of the page and plan to display that in a frame near a shadowbox for the flies. My first qualm is that the page has such stylized wings (they must have been a template that the graphic artist colored in with the appropriate colors for each fly) that my flies won't look at all the same.

Thanks fellas. I just hope they make a nice display. I've made a color photocopy of the page and plan to display that in a frame near a shadowbox for the flies. My first qualm is that the page has such stylized wings (they must have been a template that the graphic artist colored in with the appropriate colors for each fly) that my flies won't look at all the same.

Some of the old wet patterns where tied with variety of feathers. Often with primary or secondary feathers for different looks. They where usually duck, turkey, or goose sometimes married of different colors to achieve a pattern. They also used the flank feathers of duck, teal, mallard, and wood duck from various parts of the body. Old plates are usually pretty accurate, photo reproduction was in it's infancy in those days and didn't get good color reproduciton. Give me a shout if you need more info.

The colorplate is tucked into the center of an old book on fly tying so I have the recipes. The images of each fly are not photos, but some kind of artwork, which is where I got the template idea.

Probably just have to let go of my perfectionism long enough to tie the dang flies without worrying so much about the outcome. This is a process, after all, and the lessons I learn may be unexpected.

Very nice flies and tied well.

Im also a big fan of those old flies,on the English forum we just finished a swap with such flies.

http://ukflydressing.proboards47.com/index...amp;thread=2860

I also have a nice website from a member there and he has lots of old patterns,who knows you can do somthing with it.

Its Donald Nicolsons site http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/ .

Klaas

Very nice flies and tied well.

Im also a big fan of those old flies,on the English forum we just finished a swap with such flies.

http://ukflydressing.proboards47.com/index...amp;thread=2860

I also have a nice website from a member there and he has lots of old patterns,who knows you can do somthing with it.

Its Donald Nicolsons site http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/ .

Klaas

Thanks for the resources, Klaas.

I've seen quite a few of Donald's flies on FAOL over the past few years.

• 3 weeks later...

i remember when my gramps passed, his old fly box ended up in my vest. much like the ones youre tyin, these flies produced awesome trout throughout southern Ab. is old skool becoming the new skool? i never did master the wings, either got mangled or fell off during cast. nice flies man, id like to see more of these patterns end up in the shops! you use a tool for the wings or freehand?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm reinventing the wheel. I've been storing these mallard wings for at least a decade and this project used up the first matching primaries. That's how often I use winged wet flies. I'm getting comfortable with the idea that they don't all turn out like this dry fly. They're all free hand, as you say.

35n5ws6.jpg

The "new" tying desk I picked up at the thrift store has been inspirational for both tying and tidying up- I finally got all my tying mess off the dining room table. We can eat without blowing feathers out of our food. It closes up nicely when cats or guests appear.

2h2gx84.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the first collection in a shadow box. The lid has a glass insert and closes with magnetic clasps. It will be donated to a local (Minnesota) TU chapter for their fundraising auction. I have begun a second collection and will have a carpenter build me a box, an artist cut a mat, and hope this will improve things.

2ni6yom.jpg