Fly Fusion Forums

The New Fly Tying Bench!! Homemade

acurrie

Had the day off today, so I went to Home Depot and picked up some materials to attempt construction on a fly tying bench. Stole a few idea's I had seen on the internet and what i thought might work. After about 4-5 hours, 1 extra trip to Totem and a few swear words... this is the pseudo finished product (still needs to be sanded better and I have to fill in a few spots where the screws are):

First the Blueprints...lol

IMG_0033-2.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027-2.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029-2.jpg

The Aftermath!!!!

IMG_0030-2.jpg

IMG_0031-2.jpg

I'll have to giver a go tomorrow night...Flames are playin!

Look pretty good. Nice job on the whole. :)

A couple additions I would suggest. Add a place to dry flies, either a bead chain strung up or a piece of foam. Add a magnet strip for holding hooks / flies.

The hole under the vise, I would make an insert for there and then put a hole in the table top to use as a place to store the waste.

I actually was looking for a magnetic strip, but couldn't find one at HD or Totem, but i'm sure a craft store would have one. I totally agree with the place to dry flies and the waste area... I'll fine tune it as soon as I get a chance. thanks for the input.

You just gave me an awesome idea. I am reconfiguring my office from furniture type bookshelves and desks, to a built in all around the walls type scenario this year, and I will HAVE to add something like this!! Looks great, nice work! Care to post your sources for the plans? Or e-mail me the plans / materials list? Thanks man!

You just gave me an awesome idea. I am reconfiguring my office from furniture type bookshelves and desks, to a built in all around the walls type scenario this year, and I will HAVE to add something like this!! Looks great, nice work! Care to post your sources for the plans? Or e-mail me the plans / materials list? Thanks man!

Hawgstoppah,

In terms of plans, I Kinda just winged it, but I used the measurement from this website: http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/tying_bench/ and I also took some of the materials list as well. Mine Measures 45cm deep, and 55 cm wide and is about 10 cm tall.

Here is the list of materials (as best i can remember):

1- 24x48 sheet 3/8 inch ply

1-24x24 sheet 3/8 inch ply

2 small dowels (for spools)

1 1 inch dowel for tool racks

1- 1 inch circular piece of plywood (pre-made at home Depot)

4- 1x4 shelving wood (they come in lengths of about 4-5 feet)

1 set of drawer tracks -14 inches

wood glue

1 1/2 inch screws

Drawer handle

Magnetic strips (not shown in pic, got at Micheal's)

Foam Patch (Micheal's)

Cork pads of under the bench (so now scratches)

I'm probably missing something, but hopefully not to much. If anybody else puts something together make sure to post pics!

take care,

Drew