Fly Fusion Forums

Dead Whitefish

I was fishing the crow this weekend and saw several dead whitefish along the banks. I saw only one dead trout, which was old as it was just bones and a bit of head. I have no clue whether this was a fish kill or just some stupid fishermen killing whitefish because they are a “lesser” fish. All the whitefish where a couple hours to a day (not sure but no decay) dead and had no smell (I didn’t try to smell them...) indicating a recent death. Despite this the river fished pretty good.

Does any one have an idea what could have killed all of these whitefish (saw maybe 10 in total) spread out throughout the river?

I have fished the crow for a while now and have never seen a dead fish before so I am curious to hear what you guys (and gals) think was the cause.

I know that natural deaths occur but nothing like this....

Any body marks?

A few years back we came upon a pool with several mergansers that flushed off. There were five of six dead trout in < one foot of water at the tail of the pool. Their bodies had "cut" marks which we presumed were the result of being caught by the mergansers. They have serrated bills ... sharp "lamellae" ... basically teeth .. for catching fish.

We thought it odd that there were several dead fish all very dead, yet fresh and with the same minor but fatal wounds. I am guessing what we saw was mum and her kids and they'd been getting a lesson. I am wondering the same thing here. Just a S.W.A.G.!

puzzling. the only thing i can think is perhaps these fish were caught and handled roughly by another angler?? whitefish seem to be pretty wimpy as far as catch and release goes. seem slike if you have any trouble getting a hook out and have to handle the fish for even 20-30 seconds they seem to have a really hard time recovering.

I have seen dead fish in the crow and they were mostly small rainbows that got trapped under ice that collapsed on them in early spring.

M

I agree. Whitefish do not handle the high temps as well as the trout do, especailly if taken out of the water for 15-20 secs. We see dead Whities on the Bow every July when the heat wave hits. Also, the whities are under a lot of stress and get pressured by the trout for feeding postitions, holding postitions in the deep slots and in the main river Thalwag etc.

Ok thanks Toolman that makes sense. It was the first real heat wave (30+) so I guess they where just poorly released. It always amazes me that such a small river like the crow (which is tiny in August) can handle so much pressure and it still seems like there's plenty of big fat rainbows just after run-off each year. In late summer you can pretty much see to the bottom of every pool and I pretty much seem to catch little guys... I guess the big fussy eaters wait until night to feed and are really spooky during the day.

Whitefish seem to be very fragile fish... they are the ones that seem to suffer the most stress during sampling and don't handle any exposure to air very well.

Like Toolman mentioned they are affected by the heat and like Clarki said, they are often handled rough by anglers because they are an undesirable catch.

My bet would be that some nympher was mis-handling them... bad catching, rough hook retreival, and no care on the release.

The white fish feed the trout... Treat them good.