Fly Fusion Forums

Try This "fly"

flyangler

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/burning-man/

I tied two of these on hooks instead of tubes and used the excellent coral snake rubber legs I got from Pacres. One is orange and the other is red. They both caught big brown trout in Minnesota last Friday. I was using them primarily as strike indicators with a heavy nymph tied to the bend of the hook. Once the fish, which had not previously been rising, jumped out of the water and landed on the Burning Man, I ditched the nymph and pitched the fly by itself the rest of the day.

thanks for the post flyangler. as you've tied this up already, is it necessary to have the tube or do you think you can eliminate that step and get the same performance?

definitely tying up some of those for the cuttie streams.

thanks!

Toolman- a PM to answer your question. Most places, the browns do not get Alberta "Big".

SJW- yes, Cleveland Browns are bigger and less pretty.

wongrs- I've only tried it on hooks. That works for me. I do have some acupuncture tubes but haven't quite put the motivation together with the hook rigging to give tube flies a try.

i've tied up some of these bad boys last night and will see what they are capable of on thursday. had some problems with the foam rotating around the hook so i dubbed the hook with ice dub (bright green and claret) to keep it from swinging around. i'm sure it will only help in attracting the fish.

i'm sure the fly will work (as i was getting hits swinging a chernobyl ant the other day) but will report back anyways.

Love that Ice Dub.

Before tying down the foam, I brush a layer of a super glue type of stuff over the thread base. Also, while tying the foam down, I pinch it a bit to cinch it down tight. Using a thread called "Big Fly" prevented me from cutting into the foam when pulling it tight.

i tried it out but the conditions were not favourable (high dirty water). no luck obviously. also tried it out on a private stocked pond and those rainbows wouldn't take either. hopefully will get to try it out again on the elk next week.

• 1 month later...

Chernobyl Ant

Dress the hook with tying thread, then slice a cut in the belly of the foam the length of the hook, apply super glue to the thread on the hook, fold the foam length ways to open the cut and place firmly onto the hook.

This way the foam will not move when your tying the fly, or fishing it. Works for me!!!

post-950-1188067586.jpg