Fly Fusion Forums

Some Nz Fishing

bigbowtrout

I spent my first 3 days in New Zealand fishing for trout. The first two days were unguided on the Tongariro river as we were staying only steps away. All I can say is I will never complain about crowds again and from what I was told this is the slow time of year.It was pool after pool with at least one or two guys in every run. I was skunked my first day but my GF's Dad managed a nice one further up in another pool on a streamer. Day two we headed out at 7am to beat the crowds and ended up being the third group in line to fish upstream :$*%&: after talking to the last guy he was saying it was really slow and the guys before him didn't have any luck eather. I noticed that everyone was sticking to the middle and back end of the pools so I moved up to the faster water at the top and above since the last few days the temps were in the high 20's. I was rewarded with a nice Bow that spit the hook after it's forth jump. So I got right back at it and landed two more within 20min then we moved on to a few other pools where we had luck.

010.jpg

012.jpg

022.jpg

015.jpg

020.jpg

So Day three and it was off on a guided trip up to a less travelled trout stream with our guide Marcel. We drove for about a hour until we hit this little river with lots of overgrown tree's and such so Marcel said this was it and lets gear up. The Waipunga River was like nothing I have ever seen before. It was so thick with trees and plants that you could only stay in the river and some spots were really hard to wade in but within our first 100m Curt was into his first Waipunga River Rainbow.

046.jpg

Every pool and every run held fish and we caught a few but lost a lot more. This fishing was fairly hard and everytime I hooked into a larger fish they headed straight down stream and into the bolders and trees. I lost a lot of huge fish this way but in the end I did manage a few really nice sized trout.

040.jpg

055.jpg

077.jpg

067.jpg

This might be the last ofthe Trout fishing while I am here since I am staying way up North in Russel but from what I here there are a few little trout streams up this way and lots of ocean fishing to be had so stay tuned.

Here are few more pics

025.jpg

PC300081.jpg

PC300082.jpg

This pic I really like and it's not cuz of the nice falls. This was taken after we had fished with our guide for 8 hours and we stoped on or way back. He said we should stop and look at the falls that were above where we were fishing then he told me that above the falls there are only large browns up to 11lbs up there but they only have 3 fish for every Km. I'm like why the :$*%&: did we not start there first??? LOL

078.jpg

Nice pics.. A few questions.. I was in NZ a few years ago, I think since they've brought in GST? (I know Aus. has). What are fuel prices, etc?

Peak times as far as fishing, (I've heard Feb.-Mar. or so?) That sort of thing.. I know exchange is favourable (1 CAD= 1.40 NZ?)

Nice pics.. A few questions.. I was in NZ a few years ago, I think since they've brought in GST? (I know Aus. has). What are fuel prices, etc?

Peak times as far as fishing, (I've heard Feb.-Mar. or so?) That sort of thing.. I know exchange is favourable (1 CAD= 1.40 NZ?)

I think GST is at 15% but its built in but the $2.90 coke I had was WOW and it was only a 500ml bottle. The last fuel I saw was at a $1.34 and the exchange is at $1.40 but the $600.00 walk and wade is still hurting my wallet.

The Tongariro river from what I am told fishes better in there fall to winter as a lot of there fish move up from lake Taupo but hey it's +26 and I was catching fish, maybe not monster magazine cover Browns but some good sized Bows.

I think GST is at 15% but its built in but the $2.90 coke I had was WOW and it was only a 500ml bottle. The last fuel I saw was at a $1.34 and the exchange is at $1.40 but the $600.00 walk and wade is still hurting my wallet.

The Tongariro river from what I am told fishes better in there fall to winter as a lot of there fish move up from lake Taupo but hey it's +26 and I was catching fish, maybe not monster magazine cover Browns but some good sized Bows.

Thanks man. Been doing a bit of research, I kind of prefer firsthand info. Looks you guys are having a good trip..

Good report and pics. Best thing about trout is they live in the most beautiful places. Glad you had the chance to fish NZ. So many places so little money! Guess I should check my lottery tickets

Awesome Chris! Totally jealous. Very nice job bucking the trend on day one and fishing the fast water.

Did you get out in Hawaii?

I never made it out. After what I had to go through to get my gear into NZ I didn't want to risk using it in Hawaii. Also before I arrived they had tonnes of rain and the lakes where full and brown. So what I did instead was sit near the beach and checked out the sights B)

I had to declare all of my gear when I arrived in NZ and then the Biosecurity folks took my gear into a back room to go over it. 30 min later I got it all back and they thanked me for having the cleanest kit they have seen but my waders where in a plastic bag all wet and soaking in some cleaner. I spent hours cleaning all of my stuff but they still had to dip the waders as its the rules.

I had to declare all of my gear when I arrived in NZ and then the Biosecurity folks took my gear into a back room to go over it. 30 min later I got it all back and they thanked me for having the cleanest kit they have seen but my waders where in a plastic bag all wet and soaking in some cleaner. I spent hours cleaning all of my stuff but they still had to dip the waders as its the rules.

I wish our gov'ts took watershed health as seriously here in Canada/Alberta

Glad you had a great time, Chris!!