Fly Fusion Forums

Olympus 770sw Initial Review

reevesr1

Got the new camera today. Here are some observations:

Bought directly from Olympus via eBay. Camera is a return, fully QCd, fully warrantied.

Purchased on Tuesday, received Friday (!) from Olympus in California. Paid GST, no duty. $6.00 shipping.

Because of the camera being waterproof, there are a few issues:

Only 3X optical zoom (no moving lens parts outside the camera because of difficulty in sealing)

No viewfinder, screen only. (doesn't seem to be an issue though)

No standard batteries. Rechargable battery pack. Not sure of charge time.

That's it for problems, here is the good stuff

From off to picture, very fast. Like 3 seconds? Maybe less.

Very little latency. See rodeo pics below.

Multiple underwater modes. Have not used, but Underwater macro may be interesting to try.

Rapid fire mode. Very useful when trying underwater shots.

I used the screen with polarized sunglasses, no problems. I was under cover at rodeo.

Menu items make sense, very easy to use.

So far, thrilled. Can't wait to try underwater. I have already dunked it pretty good (see the I am stupid post) with no issues.

Unfortunately, I am living the new camera jinyx. Didn't catch any today for the first time in awhile. My son did hook a big bow, but got hung up and broke off. 1st pic is him coming to shore to chase. The rest are from Rodeo today

benap2.jpg

rodeo1hd8.jpg

rodeo2kn3.jpg

rodeo3eg3.jpg

rodeo5le7.jpg

rodeo6qc1.jpg

What a weenie. Can you believe he couldn't ride this bull?

rodeo7yq4.jpg

rodeo9xr4.jpg

No optical zoom, digital only.

Thanks for the review of the camera. No Optical Zoom is a big deal. I doubt I would buy the camera beacuse of that. Even a 3x is better than none. lol

No viewfinder, screen only.

Most new camera's now do not have a viewfinder, except the DSLR's. I went to pick up a camera for my mom at christmas and noticed this new trend.

Thanks for the review of the camera. No Optical Zoom is a big deal. I doubt I would buy the camera beacuse of that. Even a 3x is better than none. lol

It has a 3X optical zoom. My mistake. I will edit the original review as well. I just saw it also has a 10X digital zoom in playback mode.

Thanks rickr. Looks good. Having a smaller waterproof digital is great for fishing. (Lugging a 3-pound DSLR is not fun.) Show us some underwater images when you get some. They are a tad tricky. I've found the best way is to put the camera on max wide angle--remember you can't see where you are shooting when holding the camera u/w. Need good light and clear (clear) water.

Question. What is the "digital delay" time? When you took the rodeo pix, did you push the shutter and hope for the best? (Good rodeo pix, BTW!) Or is the shutter nearly instantaneous like a DSLR. (I've a new Pentax Optio W20 and it has least one second delay--maybe two. ZZzzz.)

Good luck with the new camera.

Clive

Thanks rickr. Looks good. Having a smaller waterproof digital is great for fishing. (Lugging a 3-pound DSLR is not fun.) Show us some underwater images when you get some. They are a tad tricky. I've found the best way is to put the camera on max wide angle--remember you can't see where you are shooting when holding the camera u/w. Need good light and clear (clear) water.

Question. What is the "digital delay" time? When you took the rodeo pix, did you push the shutter and hope for the best? (Good rodeo pix, BTW!) Or is the shutter nearly instantaneous like a DSLR. (I've a new Pentax Optio W20 and it has least one second delay--maybe two. ZZzzz.)

Good luck with the new camera.

Clive

Hey Clive,

Not very often I get to converse with a fly fishing legend!

The digital delay is the fastest I have ever dealt with in a digital camera. I did have good seats at the rodeo, and could somewhat anticipate the shot and "lead" it, but it was a pleasure compared to my old Fuji. I certainly did not get every shot, but neither do I with a SLR.

If you take the time to allow the camera to focus (with the button slightly held down), the picture is pretty instantaneous.

If you just hit the button, I would say around .2 to .5 of digital delay, most of that is focusing? From cold start up to picture is about 2 seconds.

(Prologue: Thanks for the comment. Oh geez, now I am in doo...your comment will elicit some wild and crazy responses. :) Taco?? I'm just a guy who likes to fish now and then ... Had you seen me break of two rainbows the other day ... I think the blue echos are still reverberating down the valley... :) )

I tested the Optio out the front window and it is only about ½ second too--if that. The delay is with the flash..that is painfully slow. (My old Nikon digital is 2 seconds!!) My beef with the Optio is the difficulty seeing the screen under bright sun ... it's "okay" but I'd prefer the viewfinder.

Thanks again for the pix. Try it underwater. Fun stuff.

Cheers!

Clive

if the camera is anything like mine (720w)you can turn that digital zoom on when taking pics as well not only in playback mode....... But you have to find the option in the menus somewhere and it seems to default back to the optical zoom on its own when you shut it off...... I could be wrong but I bet you can turn that digital zoom on on yours as well...... only problem is you start to get fuzzy pics when you use it..... I usually leave mine off

Guest rusty

Gents - digital zoom simply blows up one part of the photo. It doesn't actually add any more information to the shot. As such, you can easily do it postprocess with Photoshop or any other software. It's simply a gimmick and really a worthless feature.

What does a small waterproof digital cost these days? I have a real nasty habit of dunking cameras and have lately been using disposable waterproof ones with generally poor results.

What does a small waterproof digital cost these days? I have a real nasty habit of dunking cameras and have lately been using disposable waterproof ones with generally poor results.

With GST and shipping, just under 4 bills. I saw one at a camera shop in Calgary for $425, so $450 or so with GST.

Gents - digital zoom simply blows up one part of the photo. It doesn't actually add any more information to the shot. As such, you can easily do it postprocess with Photoshop or any other software. It's simply a gimmick and really a worthless feature.

I know. But it is sometimes handy when you can see on screen what it is you are shooting. I know they would start to pixelate with my old 3 MP, but with 7.1 MP? Not sure. I doubt it would on the computer monitor, but I have no idea what the print would look like.

I'm liking the 770sw so far. I had a Canon before and it started eating memory cards. It'll take some getting used to. I used to alternate between shutter and aperature preferred with my old film SLR. The 770 doesn't allow this. You have to figure out which of the pre-set options approximates what you want.

I also have an issue with the camera re-setting itself every time it shuts off. The Canon was the same. I'd prefer that it remembers to start in motion compensation mode.

I'm looking forward to using the underwater feature next week at the Shuswap.

I'm liking the 770sw so far. I had a Canon before and it started eating memory cards. It'll take some getting used to. I used to alternate between shutter and aperature preferred with my old film SLR. The 770 doesn't allow this. You have to figure out which of the pre-set options approximates what you want.

I also have an issue with the camera re-setting itself every time it shuts off. The Canon was the same. I'd prefer that it remembers to start in motion compensation mode.

I did not use motion compensation when I took the rodeo pics. Is the motion compensation more for the person holding the camera, or the subject?

Hey Clive,

Not very often I get to converse with a fly fishing legend!

Oh Christ don't tell him that Rick.......he's hyper enough as it is :P :P :P :P

. Actually Rick he's a pretty good guy for an ex gubbermint man :D :D

Well Rick, Great minds do think alike!

I bought the exact same camera last week, (even after the problems I had with my last Olypus).

I have taken about 300 pictures of different scenarios and I am so happy with it, I can't even put it into words.

I took some under water pics of my kids in our pool and they are amazing. I can't wait to take some underwater pics of fish.

Funny story already.

I took a buddy out on the Lower Bow last week and caught a nice big Rainbow. It's colors were beautiful and it was nice and fat and healthy, would have been a great picture.

I am so used to the piece of *#it I usually have in my vest, I completely forgot I had the new camera and didn't get a picture.

I had problems with the old camera, (which was only 2 years old and cost a bundle), taking close up pictures, so I tried the new one. Unbelievable quality.

Cost a total of $407 tax in, so not too bad.

Well Rick, Great minds do think alike!

I bought the exact same camera last week, (even after the problems I had with my last Olypus).

I have taken about 300 pictures of different scenarios and I am so happy with it, I can't even put it into words.

I took some under water pics of my kids in our pool and they are amazing. I can't wait to take some underwater pics of fish.

Funny story already.

I took a buddy out on the Lower Bow last week and caught a nice big Rainbow. It's colors were beautiful and it was nice and fat and healthy, would have been a great picture.

I am so used to the piece of *#it I usually have in my vest, I completely forgot I had the new camera and didn't get a picture.

I had problems with the old camera, (which was only 2 years old and cost a bundle), taking close up pictures, so I tried the new one. Unbelievable quality.

Cost a total of $407 tax in, so not too bad.

Hey Brett,

Sure agree on the great minds part. Pretty big of us to recognize each other's brilliance.

$407.00 is a good deal. Less than anywhere I found.

On the underwater pics, did u use the underwater mode or just leave it in auto? Try underwater macro yet?

I am going to either the crow, castle, oldman, livinstone or some small creek down there tomorrow. Will definitely take some underwater shots. Going with Max, and he is pretty good at setting up shots. I'll give him his reigns on underwater photography and post pictures probably Wed.

I happen to have a good friend who is the Western Canada Regional Manager the Future shop, so I got a pretty good deal.

That price included a case and a 2 gig card.

I think the price was $449, but he said it will drop soon since it is still fairly new.

Even at $449 it's a steal IMO.

Rick, I just used Auto for the under water shots and they turned out pretty good. Can't wait to get some underwater Fish pics though.

Now I just need an underwater Video cam for this fall..... ;)

Video of Big Bulls and Big Steelies under water, Can't wait.

Guest rusty

I have a 4 year old 43WR and you can change what it remembers and what it forgets in the settings. The Pentax interface might be different though.

Here's a couple of under water shots with the new camera from the weekend. I had to try it out and this was my only option.

I only used the "Auto" setting and they turned out okay IMO.

Can't wait to try it out on some fish.

These are in our pool at home and the water is a little cloudy, but not bad. The kids think the camera is pretty cool.

I see what Clive is talking about in regards to getting the target in the frame where you want it. I think I will practice on some items in the pool, so I can get some good shots on the Rivers or Lakes.

P1010233.jpg

P1010228.jpg

A couple of my earliest shots were a bit blurry but worked when I turned on the motion compensation. It was likely because of low light conditions. One problem with fully auto is you don't know what the camera is picking for settings and have to do trial and error until you find which "scene" works for what you want.