Fly Fusion Forums

Top Swing Fly's 2008

toolman

What were your best swing fly's for 2008? This can be for Trout, Steelhead, Salmon etc.

These are some of the most productive swing flies of the many dozens that I tried and used this year on the Bow river.

Early in 08', through the winter, a #2 White Bow Bugger, #6 Olive Wooly Buggers.

Later in the Spring, I was having a lot of success with #6 Lead eyed Gartside Leeches in olive and in black, #8 Clousers in black and white, #8 Rabbit Leeches in black, with a #10 Riffle Diver being a very productive fly for a few days in early high water.

In July, # 8 C.H. Electric Leeches in black, #2 Bow River Buggers in black, # 8 Peacock Leeches in black, #6 Gartside Leeches in Olive, #4 Rubber Leg Stoneflys in orange chenille, #12-#14 Caddis Emergers in amber and in green, #10-#14 Prince Nymphs in green and in black. For skaters/wakers, #12-#14 EHC Caddis in green, tan and #8-#10 Skid bitches produced when the trout were in the mood.

Later in August, when the water flows dropped and cleared, B.H. Princes, Hares Ears and Caddis Emergers produced consistently and #8 Clousers in black and white started getting attention again as the Fall fishing progressed. In September, I had a few excellent days swinging B.H. Peacock Boatman/Princes during the Backswimmer/Boatman fall.

One of the most productive swing flys in October, was a #12 Snowcone in blood red, with white beedhead. Prince nymphs were a close second.

I used 10' - 14' Floating/Sinking tips, most often Type 6 through the early part of the year, during the cold waters of winter and high water during spring run off. Type 3, Intermediates and Floating tips through July/August/September, occassionally using a hybrid Floating Poly/Fluro Carbon leader in the clear, slow waters of the tail spills and back channels. Then Intermediate, Type 3 and Type 6 tips in October, with an occassional productive day using floating tips/small drys.

no tall of these were fished on the double handed rod but my favorites for swingin this year have bin

bloody tampon

dna clouser minnow

steelie popcicle

bow buggers and varients

trout truder

rabbit strip leech

robinstone

softhackle caddis pupae

float and sinking boatman

oct. caddis pupae

chernobyl ants

triple decker

elk hair caddis

For my double handed on the bow. Sink tips in spring and winter type 4 to 6. Floating the rest of the time. Windcutter and Scandia heads. As for flies this has been my selection.

Caught flies on there on a regular basis

Caddis Emergers green

Prince Nymphs and Hares Ears

Skid bitches

Boatman Backswimmers

October caddis pupae

elk hair caddis (skidded)

White and olive Bow River Bugger

Gartside Leeches

Clousers in black and white

Rubber Leg Stoneflys in verigated orange chenille and white lege

Caddis Emergers green

Prince Nymphs and Hares Ears

Skid bitches

Boatman Backswimmers

October caddis pupae

chernobyl ant

elk hair caddis (skidded)

My very top producers and favorites through summer and fall though, where winged wet flies and flymphs.

March brown

Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

The Black Gnat

Black and Orange

Leadwing Coachman

Breadcrust

Leisenring Spider and Partridge flymphs aka (James E. Leisenring style)

Partridge and Orange (very big producer in broken water)

Little Olive Dun

Fish Hawk

I do have to add that all are of my own tie, so lots of variations, I also have a couple of nice small minnow patterns that I've done well on.

This is a great idea for a post, good going guys.

Been swinging some old Scottish Patterns for the last few months of the season.

Bloody Butchers

Peter Ross

Black pennell

Grouse and Claret

Kate McClaren

That sort of stuff and loads more.

I know you guys know you flies ...... and i have always wanted to spend some time swinging the old Scottish Patterns, see how they do, has anybody tried these flies on the Bow for the Boonies, i fished them in some lakes in BC and did pretty good, but they were Rainbows and not Broon Troot.

I will fish them one day, let me know if you have tried them or old style Dries on da Bow.

Gordo.

Hay I'm no expert but there in my humble opinion.

Bloody Butchers - this one should work as a super mayfly emerger. It has to work just because. I remember my uncle fishing this one as always his last fly of the day. He always said he fished the Bloody Butcher to get one more bloody fish.

Peter Ross - want to tie some up this winter, I think these would make an really great early minnow imitation.

Black Pernell - should make a good black stone imitation, or black mayfly in small sizes, should work great year round, the Pernell always reminds me of a wingless Blae & Black, also a good little number.

Grouse and Claret - summer to fall, would be a good emerger pattern in smaller sizes

Kate McClaren - Spring high water swinger.

As you can tell I love soft hackles and wets.

Hey we must have more swingers out there, post your patterns.

While waiting to see what everyone else swings, i thought i would post the description given to the Bloody Butcher.

"The most deadly loch fly ever invented, dressed with split wings well laid back, used on the bob and made to trip across the waves, it is an exceedingly reliable fly on every loch that I have fished. If winged in the ordinary way it is quite a good tail fly and used by many in this position with considerable effect". So said R. C. Bridgett. Credit for the Butcher is accorded to Messrs Moon and Jewhurst. Originally known as Moon's Fly, around 1838 the name changed to "Butcher", the trade of its inventors. The name is apt in other ways.

While most are fished here on the Lochs for wild broon troot, i use them on the Spey , really good fly for night fishing for Sea-Trout too.

The Black Pennell was named after H Cholmondeley Pennell, now thats a name. :eek:

Gordo.

Hey we must have more swingers out there, post your patterns.

So I was lame this year and stuck to a single pattern for swinging. This is it:

web.jpg

I tied it for practicing casting large flies (this thing is 6 inches long) on sinktips. As it turns out it works really well so I fished it all late summer and fall. I have better luck on it (on the swing) than the bow river bugger. This is the first one I tied and I tied it lazy (like tying in the amherst in clumps) but it worked well enough that this one is now on my tying bench with the 20 lb test I looped for it's stinger worn right through. It has no name really but I refer to it as the 'practice run' just because that's what it was tied for.

al

How long is that pattern when it's wet?

Hi AL....

it's only about 4"...the water during that period was very clear and no need to fish big...

was out yesterday swing a few flies and landed Two Steelhead(this was before the snow really fell heavy)...kept this nice hen of about 10 lbs,she was a clipped fish-hatchery fish. The other was much larger,a wild buck that took my hook at the shoreline...now we have 2' of snow...POOP!

This fisah took a tube with a clear plastic extension on the back end...this fly is also about 4"

C

[image removed by admin - http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=6266 ]

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to ask why Courtney's picture was removed? It was a hatchery fish and perfectly legal to keep. He even said that in his post. Would've liked to have seen it but I guess it offended someone and it had to be removed.