Fly Fusion Forums

Doc's The Great Thermose Situation

Funny thing I went into a Can Tire store last weekend and asked a young dude. "Hay man where are your thermoses"? Got this blanks stare back. "You know I said, for like putting hot coffee in". "Oh you mean a coffee pot, why didn't you say so". "No! No! I says "THERMOS". Another young guy walked over and scratched his head at the request staring at me like I was asking for some exotic foreign device beyond the reach of average intelligence. A third one descended to see what the hubbub was about. A young lady this time, the request again fell on new ears with the same blank stare returned my way like I had just arrived on foreign soil. I was suddenly surrounded by several customers all trying to describe the the exotic item to staff with multiple descriptions and hand gestures. "Everyone know what a thermos is" piped up a lady customer. The mood of the crown seemed tense. With Christmas approaching people where in no mood for misdirection but in typical Canadian fashion wanted to help. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a cope of employees running toward the situation. Determination was on their faces, perhaps this was some sort of terrorist situation. Or a customer gone mad in some sort of weird shopping related frenzy. Glancing up I noticed in the management cube faces looking down on the critical situation. Perhaps closing the store was in order. A fellow that smacked of security was elbowing toward me.

Finally surrounded by people of shallow experience and less drive to find answers an older sales type calmly approached the growing crowd of aimless clueless employees. Plus a throng of customers swelling numbers. The look in his eyes was immedietly of fear and hesitation, what was this guy trying to pull. Some sort of customer insurrection? A protest of some sort. "Thermos" I said sheepishly, almost embarrassed that I had tied up most of the stores merger staff on such an outlandish request. Oh S*#t, they're on isle bal bla he says rescuing me from the crowd and whisking me over the the right Isle. Looking back I could see the crowd slowly breaking up in smaller groups but still in discussion.

Thus ended the great thermos insurrection of /08. All was again well with the world.

LOL...hilarious..I love Canadian tire but...can totally relate to your situation Doc

been through 3 broken Thermos' this year finally got one named "The Rock" that held up to my destructive nature and I might add, stays as hot as the glass ones too. Definitely one of the best and simple inventions of all time..well depends who you ask I guess.. :D

Holy crap! It's HARD to find good help these days!

Especially in Calgary! Or maybe I should say.. "especially in the big city". Seems like good customer service can only be found in the small towns these days.

When I was in Castlegar this past weekend.. went through the drive thru at Timmy's and after they tell me my total, I always say "thank you", and then drive ahead. You know what this chick had the NERVE to do?!? She responds with "you're welcome sir!". My god man. I almost crashed into the barriers I was so shocked! :P

Guest KnottyGirl

Good lord! All I'm wondering is how in the hell did you get that many employees in one spot at the same time?? I can't even find ONE when I'm trying to find help!

Never did find a Thermos I liked. Have been using the one below since I bought it new when i was a lad. The wife made it clear she wanted me to get a new one. "You got your money out of that one your old fart" she says. One of my twin sons found out and scoped my old one. A new one will appear under the tree I've been sternly told. With a sigh I though it would have no where near the character or style of my old buddy I'm sure.

thermos2.jpg

I don't think you should have to take that kind of abuse from your family members.

A new thermos cannot come close to replacing the old one. It's your thermos and you should be able to do as you like with it. Your family needs to know this!

They're obviously quite jealous that you have such a prized possession.

I say we start a petition to put an end to this thermos abuse.

We may even have to form a coalition to put an end to this nonsense!!

Down with Thermos abuse!!!!

Awesome story. I'm sure the employees at CT are all heavily sedated before every shift. 9 out of every 10 times I go there I leave empty handed, I go because there is one really close to my house....convenient-not so much.

thanks for clarifying because i was jsut about too rib ya for having "spinning" rods in a flyfishermans thermos picture ;)<--poke--<:masterbaiter: but seriously.. them thermos's kick ass! love the vintage stuff!

HA HA

Hi Maxwell

When we lived in Wainwright, fished mostly lakes, NO running water after October so really needed to get out in the winter....

If you ever get down this way, ie Lethbridge, let me know I will show you the rest of the vintage stuff I have manged to acquire in the past 30 years of collecting...

I have posted some on FAOL, and other sites....

PS: I am not one of the vintage Items :peace::eek:

Absolutely true story...

When Silverdoctor got his first Thermos, he was so proud of it; in fact, he showed it off to the entire class in the one-room

log schoolhouse at show-and-tell that morning...

SilverDoctor: "This is a new-fangled gadget called a vacuum bottle; the salesman told me that it will keep hot things hot

and keep cold things cold!'

Teacher: "And what do you have in it today?

SilverDoctor: "Some HOT CHOCOLATE & A POPSICLE!"

;):P:D:D:P;)