Fly Fusion Forums

Where Did You Fish The Big Rods This Year?

alhuger

So this year for me was short on water time for me but that time I did get in was mostly with my two handed rods except where I was fishing in the salt or still water. My question all of you is, what water did you all use the big sticks on this year and which water gave you the most overall enjoyment (if you can distill down to simple terms like that).

For me, the water was (in no real order):

1. Adams River

2. Seymour River

3. Beaver River

4. Pitt River

5. Harrison River

6. Squamish River

7. Bow River

8. Shuswap Lake

For me I took the most away from the Bow because frankly it's where I learned the most this year. Admittedly I spent more time there than anywhere else. I also had the opportunity to fish the Bow allot with friends whereas most of the other water I mention was on my own (most of the time) or with a guide. The Bow though surrendered a few secrets to me this year and helped cement some good learning. It was the first year, for me, where I was more happy fishing in in AB over BC. I really love the Bow. If only it had bigger, meaner chrome! Oh well, you can't have it all.

al

I spent the majority of my year on the Bow, as usual and the fishing was sensational... I did get out too a couple of interesting waters on a few occassions, with trips too the Palmer Ranch, in Southern Alberta...private Trophy Lakes in the Cypress Hills of eastern Alberta and Bullshead Res., near Medicine Hat. I had to cancel planned Steelhead trips to the Bulkley River in Smithers, BC and a couple of trips back too my home town to fish the mighty Restigouche for Atlantics.

Being the single parent of two teenagers, sometimes sucks...well most of the time really...lol.

I think I took the most away from the Bow simply because it's where I did the majority of my fishing with the long rod, so it's where I got the most practice in. Spent all of my time casting either Scandi or Skagit and discovered I have a preference towards Scandi lines.

The water I used the long rod on was:

1. Bow River

2. Pitt River

3. Stauffer

you guys that fished the Pitt, did you fish the upper or lower. It's been a decade since i've been on the upper but if you've been there you know why it holds a special place in my heart. How did it fish for you guys.

On that note I've only had my spey rod on the bow this year. I am taking it to costa rica in 2 days, hopefully I will land some cool fish.

you guys that fished the Pitt, did you fish the upper or lower. It's been a decade since i've been on the upper but if you've been there you know why it holds a special place in my heart. How did it fish for you guys.

On that note I've only had my spey rod on the bow this year. I am taking it to costa rica in 2 days, hopefully I will land some cool fish.

Just a little ways upstream of the lake. There were salmon in the water but they weren't taking. The water was quite clear and it was a sunny day. Did catch a lot of bulls and a single steelhead smolt.

I am taking it to costa rica in 2 days, hopefully I will land some cool fish.

Rip it up jay, have an aweome trip! Remember you can always get blind drunk in Calgary... As for my spey fishing, ive only fished my beulah 6/7 on the bow. Love it

1 Spey

2 Ness

3 Tweed

4 Tay

5 Dee

6 Don

And was casting the double-hander on Loch Leven on Sunday, was looking at the past masters in the Scottish Championship on Loch Leven and i noticed PD Malloch was the champion in 1889, PD Malloch of Perth made some really cool Salmon and Trout Reels, i rate them almost as good as the old Hardy's.

Will be out casting a new rod tomorrow, its a hell of a job.

Gordo.

Will post some photo's of Loch Leven so you can see where the broonie's came from.

Hey Toolman,

Thats right, all being well i will be back for some fishin in the Spring, got some new toys and waiting for some new fly lines from Norway , short Scandy lines that are out in the Spring.

I bet its warm and sunny in Calgary right now.

Gordo.

Hmm, feels like this:

web.jpg

I took that about 30 mins ago when I was out running the dogs.

Jay, what line are you using on your Loop Spey rod?

i couldn't get a the line we tried due to the tight time constraints I have right now. so I lined the reel with 350yrds of 50lb power pro, 35lb Slick shooter, a 460gr Rio Spey AFS with the 37ft head and a Airflo Extra Super Fast Sinking Poly Leader.

So far so good but I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference it seems much easier to cast then the heavier line we tried on Jeremy's stick and on par with the line we tried on mine. If anything I'll have to get a new line, OH WELL.

When I get back home we'll have to head out Greg, I'll need to work on getting my tan back to Calgary pale.

Tight lines mates and have a great Christmas I won't be on line for a few weeks, but with fingers crossed I'll have some great pics of how not to handle fish.

Jay

i couldn't get a the line we tried due to the tight time constraints I have right now. so I lined the reel with 350yrds of 50lb power pro, 35lb Slick shooter, a 460gr Rio Spey AFS with the 37ft head and a Airflo Extra Super Fast Sinking Poly Leader.

So far so good but I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference it seems much easier to cast then the heavier line we tried on Jeremy's stick and on par with the line we tried on mine. If anything I'll have to get a new line, OH WELL.

When I get back home we'll have to head out Greg, I'll need to work on getting my tan back to Calgary pale.

Tight lines mates and have a great Christmas I won't be on line for a few weeks, but with fingers crossed I'll have some great pics of how not to handle fish.

Jay

Good luck out there. I am very interested in hearing how that line holds up in warm salt water.

al

mainly the bow... did some lake fishing too on a few spots and had a 60 40 opinion wiht it.. goo for bombing streamers FAR but thats about it and i was mainly surf casting, gave it a go on some bull streams (most of them its not worth it in tight spots, smaller streams etc.... too bulky! but theres a few spots i will fish it fow bulls n pike forsure! but u gotta test teh theory right! getting a 7'6" 9wt instead for the tight spots!)

I spent the majority of my year on the Bow, as usual and the fishing was sensational... I did get out too a couple of interesting waters on a few occassions, with trips too the Palmer Ranch, in Southern Alberta...private Trophy Lakes in the Cypress Hills of eastern Alberta and Bullshead Res., near Medicine Hat. I had to cancel planned Steelhead trips to the Bulkley River in Smithers, BC and a couple of trips back too my home town to fish the mighty Restigouche for Atlantics.

Being the single parent of two teenagers, sometimes sucks...well most of the time really...lol.

Toolman...are you a Cambellton boy?

Val and I are going back to the Miramichi this coming Summer for a few weeks...and maybe the Humber in Nfld...you never know whom you might meet on the water!

C

What the heel is with all the short river names Gord...some kind of SLANG>>!!!

1 Spey

2 Ness

3 Tweed

4 Tay

5 Dee

6 Don

And was casting the double-hander on Loch Leven on Sunday, was looking at the past masters in the Scottish Championship on Loch Leven and i noticed PD Malloch was the champion in 1889, PD Malloch of Perth made some really cool Salmon and Trout Reels, i rate them almost as good as the old Hardy's.

Will be out casting a new rod tomorrow, its a hell of a job.

Gordo.

Will post some photo's of Loch Leven so you can see where the broonie's came from.

Toolman...are you a Cambellton boy?

Val and I are going back to the Miramichi this coming Summer for a few weeks...and maybe the Humber in Nfld...you never know whom you might meet on the water!

C

Close, I'm from Dalhousie, but I did live in Campbellton for a couple of years as well. The Miramichi is an incredible river system and the next time I head back to the Maritimes, I'm going to try and fish it for a couple of days.

This year for me was somewhat of an abnormal year...I guided way too much,fished way too little and found my feet didn't like all the walking on the rocks along the beaches . However,with that said,I am now resting my poor feet! :ridemcowboy: a bit and prepareing for the winter Steelhead fishing ahead. They are here in small numbers at the moment,with snow forecast for this week-end we will see that change dramatically. I did use a long rod on may Rivers this year and the Ocean...and I have to say that the Ocean provided me with the best learning opportunities...Beulah's Surf Rods simply blew my mind with their feel and results...outstanding!

Gold River

Stamp River

Thompson River

Bulkley River

Morice River

Blackwater

Horsefly

Sproat

Ash

Nitinat

Nimpkish

Heber (switch Rod)

EVE

Adam(Island)

Sproat

Somass

Puntledge

Campbell River

Bow

Grand

Ganaraska

Island Beaches

And many I won't mention

I have to say that the waters that really left an impression with me this year were the Puntledge River and the Blackwater. The Blackwater is a world class Trout River,nothing large but always a very willing River,I used the Beulah 4/5 Switch rod and didn't realize just how rewarding these small outfits can be with 12-16" trout . Positioning a dry fly 80-100' away was unreal.

The Puntledge River in Courtenay BC is well known for it's Chum and Coho fishing but this year proved to be the Jewell of all jewells here on the Island. For 5 weeks we were blessed with incredible Bright Silver Chum Fishing...from the last few days of September unti very early November...no huge numbers of fish but always a strong daily entering of Silver Chum...2 a day retention..fish to 15;bs. Many rods were broken this year ...but they are good breaks!

We are talking big rods here... not the little wee lassies rods aren't we, never see me fishing a ladies rod.. ha ha , i have a plan to fish more rivers in Alberta and BC next spring, and will be looking for advice from some of the guys on this site... or maybe we could put together a fishin road trip . now that sounds like a plan...

Gordo

We are talking big rods here... not the little wee lassies rods aren't we, never see me fishing a ladies rod.. ha ha , i have a plan to fish more rivers in Alberta and BC next spring, and will be looking for advice from some of the guys on this site... or maybe we could put together a fishin road trip . now that sounds like a plan...

Gordo

Now if I'm not mistaken...you have been playing with some of these "Lassies rods' " of late...!some of the old farts around here are still casting 9' rods off the beaches and wonder why they only get the close in fish every so often!!

Fishing will be fun!

C