Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Nymphing

headscan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When ever i fish the bow i usually have my two hander. I like the ease of getting it right back out there . Im sure this could be done with a number of rods, single or double. Also, i think i land more fish with the two hander because i think the extra length gives me more control. As for nymphing close up... it gives me that little extra reach and i can keep more line offf the water. I have never fished a two hander anywhere but the bow, if i were fishing a stream where fish were visible i like the single hander because i have better line control,much more delicate cast, and its usually no more then 40 feet across.

Rebuttal, sure...

I think Bob Meiser sum's it up best...Check out his comments about the appropriate applications for his Highlander

"Trouter" Series Two handers...

And I quote... "They are first and foremost: Superb fishing tools..."

"Trouting with an extremely lightweight two handed rod is as lethally effective as it is fun to do. When balanced too proper lines, all classic Trouting techniques can be applied: Wet fly and soft hackle swing, dead drift dry fly presentations, streamer fishing, high stick nymphing and indicator nymphing, are all suitable techniques for the lightweight two hander"... R.B. Meiser

http://www.meiserflyrods.com/highlander.html

I guess Boy Wonder and his pals (clients), should be emailing him with their theories (bs), too notify Mr. Meiser and his thousands of satisfied customers from around the world, that they have got it all wrong.

The Spey Revolution is here...

Greg

I guess Boy Wonder and his pals (clients), should be emailing him with their theories (bs), too notify Mr. Meiser and his thousands of satisfied customers from around the world, that they have got it all wrong

Sounds like somebody is a little jealous.......

dude is just trying to sell rods.

Of course rod mfg.'s try and sell their rods...duh...So are you suggesting that the statements I quoted from the RB Meiser web site about the applications that are suitable for these lightweight Spey rods, are false?

why havent the line companies come up with a "nymphing line" spey rods.

There are many excellent Spey/Switch, rods/lines on the market allready, that are excellent for all nymphing methods/tactics, including rods by Meiser, Anderson, Beulah, Loop, Winston, Sage ect, ect...

a good speycast with a single hand rod is very effective.

In the hands of a skilled Spey caster/fisher, absolutely true...

PK

dude u jstu dont get it.. and it seems u dont want too take my challenge eh? lightweight speys are still HEAVIER than single handed rods and in teh right applications will outproduce spey rods no problemo!! that is how i feel and so do otehrs. like i said before u think spey is the end all of flyfishing whatever.. jsut dotn preach too people who are experienced or experienceing tehre own views that are different from yours.. you look so hell bent on ur the best when in fact ur not even close! and like i said before how about making your own science experiments and thesting a theory rather htan cutting and copying someone elses without even taking teh chance too test or try anything.. ignorance is bliss dude!

toolman , easy does it. you might have misunderstood. yes there are a lot of lines for switch rods, but you would think that if nymphing with a speyrod/switch rod was the "best" then they would come out with a line that they actually call a "nymphing" line and properly market it. for some reason I dont think that will ever happen. dont get so worked up its Xmas. PK

pkk, I think we will eventually see line manufactures develop/market nymph and other specailty lines for these light Switch/Spey rods at some point, as we are now seeing with Skagit and Scandi Compact heads in the lighter line weights etc. The use of these types of two handed rods has been growing rapidly and it's only a matter of time in my view.

There once was a time when nymph specific lines did not exist for single hand rods either.... And no worries, I have no problem discussing Spey/Fly fishing with anyone, as long as they leave the childish, character bashing, chest thumpin', mine's bigger than yours ego's, out of it and stick to the topic of discussion...

And no worries, I have no problem discussing Spey/Fly fishing with anyone, as long as they leave the childish, character bashing, chest thumpin', mine's bigger than yours ego's, out of it and stick to the topic of discussion...

you are also guilty:

Of course rod mfg.'s try and sell their rods...duh...

White flag eh...Well I usually pull the trigger, but I'll make an exception in this case and accept your appology and plea of insanity, for this one time...I'll scratch your name off the list...grin.

Cheers...

So does this mean we can call you "Anonymous Guy" from now on and not be put on your stalk and methodical rampage list? <--poke--<