Fly Fusion Forums

Why I Will Never Tent Again....

Looks like an Alaskan Brown Bear eh? Versus a Grizzly..

FYI, Alaskan Brown Bears or Kodiak's are Grizzly Bears...just very large ones. They get much larger then the Grizzly's around here because of diet. Here, a bears diet is 75-80% vegetation. There, they get a lot more protein from eating fish. They're different names between here and there is just what the locals started calling them.

I had a lot of questions about that doing some volunteer work last summer. We had a prop of a very large Grizzly skull. It raised a lot of questions about the bears around here.

is that the pics from that freakin story a few years back? either way it sucks too se it was killed but atht dude is doing the same pose people do with fish.. it is a large bear but not that freakin big. gimmie a break.. almost as bad as them hunters standing on teh back em of the moose shot wile teh rack is right up from looking 20 feet wide..

Ill never understand why people go out of their way to simply kill for the sake of killing. Wonder how they would feel if someone killed one of their family members for sport. Whats the difference?

It is one thing if you don't agree with hunting bears, but not seeing the difference with killing a human is warped!

Alot of the same people and organizations that are anti hunting also include fishing. "why would someone want to hook a fish in the mouth basically torture it just for personal pleasure?" It is a slippery slope...

I feel really bad on the very rare occasion I feel I've harmed a fish. I've just don't get the fun in killing for killing sake.

It makes you feel really bad yet you still do it? There is only one way to ensure you don't kill fish- sell your gear. If you are an avid fisherman it is not just a rare occasion that you kill fish.

Sorry guys but the hypocracy is thick on this thread.

It is one thing if you don't agree with hunting bears, but not seeing the difference with killing a human is warped!

Alot of the same people and organizations that are anti hunting also include fishing. "why would someone want to hook a fish in the mouth basically torture it just for personal pleasure?" It is a slippery slope...

It makes you feel really bad yet you still do it? There is only one way to ensure you don't kill fish- sell your gear. If you are an avid fisherman it is not just a rare occasion that you kill fish.

Sorry guys but the hypocracy is thick on this thread.

Uhh, maybe you can explain to me how one goes about C&R with a rifle or a bow? I suppose fishing and hunting are kissing cousins in the cruelty family but taking the life of something like that Grizzly is just more than I could stomach personally. I have nothing against subsistence or harvest hunting (where it is sustainable) but I see little to no value in hunting large predators unless they pose a problem. With that, I am off to renew my PETA membership.

PS - SJW if you know that guy can you please see if he will part with some of the fur? It would be awesome for streamers.

al

Uhh, maybe you can explain to me how one goes about C&R with a rifle or a bow? I suppose fishing and hunting are kissing cousins in the cruelty family but taking the life of something like that Grizzly is just more than I could stomach personally. I have nothing against subsistence or harvest hunting (where it is sustainable) but I see little to no value in hunting large predators unless they pose a problem. With that, I am off to renew my PETA membership.

PS - SJW if you know that guy can you please see if he will part with some of the fur? It would be awesome for streamers.

al

I wouldnt have the faintest idea who this guy is.

I don't hunt, never will.

I don't hunt alot because I don't feel the need. I hunt pheasants, etc., because I like to watch a good bird dog work,I like a good walk in the fall, and I don't mind eating them. I hunted deer as a kid, mainly because my dad wanted me to. I had zero desire to shoot one, though I've been able to shoot very well for a long time. My way around it was to shoot 10 feet behind a deer, and make an extremely half-assed effort to chamber the next round. Nowadays, hunting deer, elk, or moose wouldn't probably bother me as much. I really enjoy eating all of them. And for that I feel no guilt. I don't think an animal shot and eaten is a waste at all. Nor a fish. But for someone like myself it would be a bit impractical, and I'd have to find alot of people to give meat away to. Therefore, why bother? I may disagree with someone shooting a bear the same way someone else may disagree with my catch and release fishing. I may not see eye to eye with someone that feels the need to drive a car or motorbike 180 km/hr down a crowded road or highway, jump out of an airplane, etc. It's what they want to do, it's what they get a rush from. I'm sure the guy that got that bear felt close to the same way. The thrill of the hunt, I guess. I don't agree with it, (I'm pretty sure a bear isn't very palatable), it's not something I personally would do for sure. But it's not illegal, so who am I to argue? Remember someone might be looking at my hobbies in the same way. If that bear was attacking my fishing partner, or some random person, or myself, I would not so much as bat an eye. I'd do everything in my power to put it down, without hesitation. That may make me a bad person in some eyes, but whatever. I just wouldn't do it in any other circumstances I guess.

al

I have no problems with anyones views if they do not value hunting bears, fishing, or whatever else, I respect their views and however they got to that point. Where it becomes a problem is when someones views on an activity becomes a mission to stop said activity- or when they say that they see no difference between legally hunting bears and killing a human.

I am not here to debate the merits of hunting bears and I am not directly comparing hunting to fishing but they have a ton in common, yes even if you C&R fish as well as you are still impacting the resource albiet at a different level.

Lots have said its killing just for killing and that is a pretty simplistic view of it. Last I checked there is a whole industry that raises birds just to cape them and sell the feathers for us to make flies with. I would call that killing just to kill (or fish) as well using the same simplistic views that have been expressed by some on this topic.