Fly Fusion Forums

Tying Challenge #1

Flytyer

For the first challenge we'll start with 2 mandatory materials. The fly can be any style you like dry, nymph, emerger etc. The mandatory materials will be philoplume/aftershaft feathers (feathers from behind the base of larger feathers) and natural dubbing- non synthetic.

Deadline will be Fri. Nov. 28 @9PM

Just photograph and post your creation to this thread to enter.

This is not a contest but a method to exchange ideas.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i just tried my first it was a scud with the feather as the legs and hair dubbing for the body. It isnt good enough to post but i will try a few more things.

does it have to be practical or just for looks?

Ok I would like to play but I am still a little confused by that feather. Is it a specific species pheasant, duck, etc.? or is it common on all species? What type of feather is that one LK?

You'll find these feathers on the body feathers of most birds, even hackle saddles and necks

i just tried my first it was a scud with the feather as the legs and hair dubbing for the body. It isnt good enough to post but i will try a few more things.

does it have to be practical or just for looks?

Ideally it should be both but it can be either, if you are happy with the results you achieve then the goal of this exercise has been accomplished. "Thinking outside the box" so to speak is the real goal here; trying different things.....who knows you may even develop your own hot go to fly.

Guys/Gals,

Jack Garside has used this type of feather for a host of flies.

Here is his take on the feather in an article from Blue Ribbon Flies entitled " What To Do With A Pheasant Skin" by Jack Gartside:

The Aftershaft

Underneath just about every body feather we've considered, you'll find another feather, a downy, usually grayish and very soft feather. This is the aftershaft feather (hypor hachis) or insulating feather. This feather is sometimes misidentified as a "philo" or "filo" feather or plume. There is such a feather as the "filoplume," but believe me this is NOT it. True filoplumes are those hair-like (filo means hair in Greek) single-strands with a tuft (or plume) on them. Filoplumes are visible only when you've plucked the skin almost bare and are of little use to the practical flytyer.

The aftershaft feather has many uses: as very soft hackle for tying soft hackle flies or traditional wet flies, as wing cases on nymphs, as bodies (when wound on) for dragonfly nymphs, or for collars on my Sparrow nymph. One of my favorite aftershaft-bodied flies is the Wet Mouse, which can also be fished as a dragonfly nymph

catch ya'

Don

well lets get teh party started....

"aftershaft gray drake nymph"

hook-mustad egg hook

tail-aftershaft

back-brown thin sking

rib- copper wire

body-wound aftershaft

legs/antenna-rubber legs barred black/tan

thorax and head- aftershaft for dubbing and thinskin

novvv048.jpg

novvv052.jpg

well lets get teh party started....

"aftershaft gray drake nymph"

hook-mustad egg hook

tail-aftershaft

back-brown thin sking

rib- copper wire

body-wound aftershaft

legs/antenna-rubber legs barred black/tan

thorax and head- aftershaft for dubbing and thinskin

novvv048.jpg

novvv052.jpg

I like it. If fact I might scam it....

So after playing with the feathers a bit I figured they would work for a leech pattern so I came up with this. It is pretty rough cause I ran out of material.

Hook: Nymph 2x #14

Bead: Gold 1/8"

Thread: Tan uni 6/0

Tail: philoplume tips

Body: Natural deer dubbing, palmered philoplume

Dry

IMGP0964.JPG

Wet

IMGP0966.JPG

It has an action similar to marabou when stripped.