Fly Fusion Forums

Calgary..a Scary Town!

The last few weeks within 2 blocks of my apartment there has been a murder and an attempted murder, Tuesday morning a Native woman was stabbed to death and a few weeks ago my friend was shot in the neck at the pub he owns.

I moved to the Beltline area 1 1/2 yrs ago and it is getting scary. I always travel on my bike so I get to scoot by all the crap I see. Thank God!

It was very unnerving watching the fire dept. power wash the blood off the sidewalk on Tuesday afternoon. I feel terrible about the woman who perhaps was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was stereotyped (perhaps) as an undesireable. No one deserves what she received. I would like to put a small tribute by the spot where she was murdered. What would be a proper way to show my respect in Native custom?

The last few weeks within 2 blocks of my apartment there has been a murder and an attempted murder, Tuesday morning a Native woman was stabbed to death and a few weeks ago my friend was shot in the neck at the pub he owns.

I moved to the Beltline area 1 1/2 yrs ago and it is getting scary. I always travel on my bike so I get to scoot by all the crap I see. Thank God!

It was very unnerving watching the fire dept. power wash the blood off the sidewalk on Tuesday afternoon. I feel terrible about the woman who perhaps was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was stereotyped (perhaps) as an undesireable. No one deserves what she received. I would like to put a small tribute by the spot where she was murdered. What would be a proper way to show my respect in Native custom?

I would leave a flower and some sweetgrass

Weengush, or Sweet grass is used to cleanse the mind, body and spirit. It is considered sacred because it is symbolic of purification. It represents the Northern direction and the body. The elders tell us that scent of these natural herbs is pleasing to the creator and will incline him to hear the ceremony with favor. The smoke is considered distasteful to all evil beings and thwarts their powers. This plant plays an important part in ceremonies of spiritual significance. When Weengush is used in ceremony, each person is to fan the sweet grass smoke, first to their heart, second to their mind, third around their body and lastly, return the smoke to their heart. The prayer said during this process is: "Great Mystery, please cleanse me of my negativity and fill me with the positive energies of love, so that, as I am healed so may I work for the healing of our Earth Mother."

Very interesting BBT....if I remember correctly, isn't your aunt native? I can't remember if you're the same guy I think you are or not.

And very nice Al - that's very thoughtful. You're right....things get scarier by the day around here.

OK...well since I'm not giving any secrets up then, who was the guy on Dave's board who was Ralph Klein's nephew?

I was Ralph Kleins Son-in-law and Colleen is 100% native so my ex is 50% and my little one is 25% Ralph is also an honorary chief of the Siksika nation so he has this very large and cool headdress at his house that is just beyond words.

I just read an article in the paper about this. A group of 4 men stabbed 5 people randomly in less than an hour. They have no idea why and no leads who they were. They don't think they intended to kill anyone just rob them. Brutal man. With big city populations comes big city crimes. Let's face it, we're a big city.

I would say that they did mean to kill people, as they could have robbed them easily with just a threat and a show of the knives. Instead, they killed one woman and then continued to rob and stab more victims. These guys were out showing each other how tough they were, kind of an initiation ceremony. Evil, coward, scum bags who deserve the looped end of a short rope...

I would say that they did mean to kill people, as they could have robbed them easily with just a threat and a show of the knives. Instead, they killed one woman and then continued to rob and stab more victims. These guys were out showing each other how tough they were, kind of an initiation ceremony. Evil, coward, scum bags who deserve the looped end of a short rope...

As I said they don't "think" they intended to kill (media spin on words to try not to alarm everyone I'm sure). I agree with you Toolman, they easily could have robbed them with a threat and no stabbing. I'm sure it is gang related. People just don't do random crimes. You get the rope and I'll gather up the posse.

From what I've heard (and this is all from the media, so take it for what it's worth), they're claiming that it's all about turf wars in the illicit drug trade. And that it's only the beginning.

I gotta stop reading the Sun.

BBT...Do you know the symbolism of tobacco?

I thought of the Sweetgrass since I know it’s a large part of almost every ceremony they have but taking some raw Tobacco and placing it at the site would be a great gesture.

I am definitely not an expert in this area but I do love there culture and history

THE FOUR SACRED MEDICINES

Tobacco is the first plant that the Creator gave to Native people. It is the main activator of all the plant spirits. Three other plants, sage, cedar and sweetgrass, follow tobacco, and together they are referred to as the four sacred medicines.

The four sacred medicines are used in everyday life and in ceremonies. All of them can be used to smudge with, though sage, cedar and sweetgrass also have many other uses.

It is said that tobacco sits in the eastern door, sweetgrass in the southern door, sage in the west and cedar in the north. Elders say that the spirits like the aroma produced when we burn tobacco and the other sacred medicines.

TOBACCO

Traditional people say that tobacco is always first. It is used as an offering for everything and in every ceremony. “Always through tobacco,” the saying goes.

Traditional tobacco was given to us so that we can communicate with the spirit world. It opens up the door to allow that communication to take place. When we make an offering of tobacco, we communicate our thoughts and feelings through the tobacco as we pray for ourselves, our family, relatives and others.

Tobacco has a special relationship to other plants: it is said to be the main activator of all the plant spirits. It is like the key to the ignition of a car. When you use it, all things begin to happen.

Tobacco is always offered before picking medicines. When you offer tobacco to a plant and explain why you are there, that plant will let all the plants in the area know why you are coming to pick them.

When you seek the help and advice of an Elder, Healer or Medicine Person, and give your offering of tobacco, they know that a request may be made as tobacco is so sacred.

We express our gratitude for the help the spirits give us through our offering of tobacco. It is put down as an offering of thanks to the First Family, the natural world, after a fast. Traditional people make an offering of tobacco each day when the sun comes up. Traditional tobacco is still grown in some communities. For example, the Mohawk people use a traditional tobacco that they grow themselves and that is very sacred to them.

SAGE

Sage is used to prepare people for ceremonies and teachings. Because it is more medicinal and stronger than sweetgrass , it tends to be used more often in ceremonies. Sage is used for releasing what is troubling the mind and for removing negative energy. It is also used for cleansing homes and sacred items. It also has other medicinal uses. There is male sage and female sage. The female sage is used by women.

CEDAR

Like sage and sweetgrass, cedar is used to purify the home. It also has many restorative medicinal uses. Cedar baths are healing. When cedar is put in the fire with tobacco, it crackles. When it does this, it is calling the attention of the spirits to the offering that is being made. Cedar is used in fasting and sweat lodge ceremonies as a form of protection: cedar branches cover the floor of the sweat lodge and a circle of cedar surrounds the faster’s lodge.

St Pauls University of Waterloo