Fly Fusion Forums

Tiger Trout Hatchery Wanted

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Hi.

I am looking to find a supplier of Tiger Trout for a private community lake in Calgary.

Tiger trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) are a hybrid species that occur when a brown and brook trout mate. These trout get their name because of their tiger-like markings. You can see a really good photo of a Tiger trout by clicking here.

Tiger aggressive predators who like to eat smaller fish. And since they're known for putting up a good fight, anglers enjoy catching them.

Many fish hatcheries have started breeding Tiger trout in an effort to help control some of the competition (like chubs) faced by some game fish. Due to their aggressive nature and willingness to hunt prey in shallow waters, it's thought that Tiger trout might survive better than other species.

However, Tiger trout are sterile and unable to reproduce. Thus it's up to hatcheries to keep reproducing them.

...but where is there a hatchery????

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher
Sun,

You realize that if you work this out you're going to have to start inviting more of us to come along right? :)

You help me get them and no problem having guests!

:-)

Saskatchewan also stocks Tiger trout. You could check with a hatchery there to see if you could purchase. I have fished for them in sask and they are a beautiful fish. Have caught them on buggers, evil weevil and caddis dries. I question whether or not the province would allow them to be stocked. You never know though. Worth a try.

LOL! :goodvsevil():

Hey Sundance. Amazing how you can get two different stories. Even move amazing that both published lists come from the same source - Agriculture and Rural Development.

Anyways, I believe the post on the AO board is bang on - they are not allowed in Alberta anymore. However, I would recommend contacting Jack Stewart. His information is at the bottom of the link from the AO board. That guy is extremely knowledgable about fish stocking both past and present. Great guy too.

Guest Sundancefisher
LOL

We need permission from the lake. We are hoping the person responsible will end up paying for the problems caused by the perch.

Now to find the egg supplier... That is the tough one.

LOL! :goodvsevil():

Hey Sundance. Amazing how you can get two different stories. Even move amazing that both published lists come from the same source - Agriculture and Rural Development.

Anyways, I believe the post on the AO board is bang on - they are not allowed in Alberta anymore. However, I would recommend contacting Jack Stewart. His information is at the bottom of the link from the AO board. That guy is extremely knowledgable about fish stocking both past and present. Great guy too.

just very recently got a recreational trout culture license ..Im not 100% sure but I believe the only species on my license are Triploid Grass carp, Rainbows,Brookies, Browns and Arctic Char .. I'll ask the better half to have a look at the license when I talk to her, Im on the east coast working ..

just very recently got a recreational trout culture license ..Im not 100% sure but I believe the only species on my license are Triploid Grass carp, Rainbows,Brookies, Browns and Arctic Char .. I'll ask the better half to have a look at the license when I talk to her, Im on the east coast working ..

Same species that are listed on mine. It was issued 3 years ago. The previous one I had did list Tigers, which have now been delisted.

Not sure why they would have been removed. They are a hybrid and as far as I know, they can't reproduce.

I poked around SRD's site today, this is all I found.

I also checked all of the earlier annual reports listed on the SRD site and could not find any reference as to why the Tiger Trout was being considered for removal from the list of approved species.

The Alberta Fisheries Act makes no mention of Tiger Trout at all.

From page 22 of http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/archives/pdf/2006...nual_Report.pdf

The following legislative changes were made in 2006‑07:

• Amendments to the Forest Recreation Regulation to create a new Forest

Land Use Zone and trails network for the Ghost‑Waiparous area. The

trails will be managed in a way that creates new and enhanced trail

opportunities, while addressing environmental considerations, public

safety and user needs.

• Amendments to the Fisheries (Ministerial) Regulation to:

• Support a special fish harvest licence for walleye.

• Support mandatory licensing of competitive fishing events (derbies

and tournaments).

Remove reference to prohibited areas, as well as remove tiger trout

from the list of approved species.

This article gives some more info .

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/aquacultu.../Code2003_e.pdf

See page 13

1.6.1.12 The use of hybrid organisms has previously occurred. Hybrids are obtained by

crossing different species and, rarely, different genera. For example, brook trout (Salvelinus

fontinalis) and lake trout were crossed to create "splake" (S. fontinalis x namaycush) in Ontario.

The hybrid had desirable characteristics of both the brook and lake trout. Another common

hybrid tested by fisheries management agencies for the recreational fishery is the tiger trout, an

inter-generic cross between brown trout and brook trout. The concern with hybrids is that if they

backcross with either of the original species, there could be a transfer of foreign genetic material

into the indigenous population. This has raised concerns about the changes to genetic diversity

in the indigenous populations and the potential to reduce the ability of individuals to survive in

the wild.

Make what you want of the info. I suspect that SRD is probably playing it safe and finally realizing that effing around with nature doesn't always produce the most desired results.

Make what you want of the info. I suspect that SRD is probably playing it safe and finally realizing that effing around with nature doesn't always produce the most desired results.

no *hit

no Tiger Trout listed on my license issued in October.

We need permission from the lake. We are hoping the person responsible will end up paying for the problems caused by the perch.

Now to find the egg supplier... That is the tough one.

Ya, I'm sure the 8 year old kids who brought a bucket of perch from midnapore to sundance 15 years ago will be energetic about that idea. lol...

Best thing that could happen now is poision the lake and start all over, which will never be given the go ahead.