Fly Fusion Forums

Speycasting Crazy

speyghillie

OK ladies, <--poke--

Its been a few years now since some of you guys got Speycrazy, i just wanted to know how bad you got it, do you find yourself practicing casts at work, do you look at all the new Spey stuff out there and think I NEED THAT, lets see who has it bad, i guess i should start and tell everybody i went into my garage and counted 27 rods and 13 reels, and i bought another two yesterday that i already don't like, ITS MADNESS but at least its work for me... whats your excuse.

Gordon.

I'm down to two DH rods - Loop Goran 9126 and a Decho 5122 with Scandi and Skagit heads for both. At the same time though, I only have two SH rods with plans to pick up a Loop Opti Creek 2 wt in the spring (buying an Islander IR1 reel for it tomorrow). I may not have a ton of rods, but I mainly spey cast the single hand rods instead of overhead casting them. I do check out all the new gear and I've been thinking about a 7 wt DH rod to fill the gap between my 5 wt and 9 wt, but I honestly wouldn't get much use out of it in Calgary compared to the 5 wt. At this point I'd rather concentrate on getting better with the two excellent rods that I already own. I'll be picking up one of the Loop Whistler lines for the Goran and one of the Airflo Deltas for the Decho when they're available.

I have the sickness as bad as anyone. Every night I wonder if I could skip work or leave early to go fishing instead. It doesn't help that I work with someone who has the sickness also. In fact, we had planned on skipping out early today to hit the water, but unfortunately work got in the way for both of us. Some days I'll even go out and just cast to get that euphoric feeling from a perfect cast that beats my personal best for distance. Funny how I can go out fishing and have a perfectly good time even if I don't catch a single fish that day.

O Headscan,

Already thinking of skipping work to go Speycast...... u got it bad alright,...... it will only get worse , winter coming on ect, the good thing is your not alone, i know one guy in Calgary that does his work at night so he can be on the river Speycasting as much as possible..... lets see who comes to confession. :laugh:

Gordon.

Hey, I'm getting better...I used to Spey cast 7 days a week (up untill the end of October)...Now, I hardly ever get out more than 6 days a week...See... I'm in control of my addiction...I like working at nights, anyways...Unless I'm going night fishing...And, I've got the Spey collection down to no more than 12 rods on the rack at any one time...perfectly normal.

Geez Gord, 27 rods...you sick man...get some help.

Toolman,

Good that you have it under control, :laugh: and have come to confession, anybody else practice casting without a rod, think about different casts , or any other form of Spey madness,

6 days...... i know thats true, you need help Toolman.

Gordo.

dont be scared to admit your addiction...... i know who you all are.

Bought the first rod this year, fished almost all fishing trips with it and forgot about my SH rods.

Keep practicing the underhand without a rod in hand during work, which results in funny looks.

Now looking to buy another DH rod, already arranged a testdrive.

When tying I only think of making speyflies, got friends crazy enough to try speycasting and into new rods.

Looking at Speypages all the time, searching Ebay.

I need a cure !!!!!

Hey Dutchdryfly ,

Its the worst type of addiction................... there is no cure, good to hear you are practicing the underhand at work, never mind what they say, , if you find they are getting used to the underhand at work without a rod in hand... throw in a perry poke or a long line cast... usually it keeps them wondering what your doing.

I feel this is a quality confession, but you should now have to do a snake roll cast in front of everybody at work, without a rod of course.and let us know how it goes.

Gordo.

Hi Gordon

You are right it can become (is) addictive. For me it is not so much the

catching of fish as it is such an efficient way to get the line out there. Not

to say it replaces SH casting but I look for ever opportunity to try a spey

instead. The tackle is another issue and I won't go there but to say I have

promised myself that a rod must be sold before acquiring another and I

never break a promise to myself....ever...ever.

Wtforward you say that now, and i hope you can stick to that.... lots have tried and failed to control the Spey addiction, you can see already how others are fighting a losing battle with it, and i know there are other to come forward and seek absolution for there sins.

I feel i had a small part to play in this , but surely there are other in and around Calgary that are not helping by showing Speycasting to others, and starting them on this road that never ends,..... SHOW NO ONE... SAY YOU NEVER HEARD OF IT.

Gordo

Well here is my laundry list

1) 11 1/2 6/7wt Belauha

2) 12 1/2 6wt TFO Pro

3) 12 1/2 7/8wt TFO Pro

4) Loop CLW Reel

5) Phleugher Prisedent Reel with extra spool

6) Lamson Velocity Reel

7) Hatch 9 Plus Reel

I have lines for every reel, and find as the more addictive I get to this the more higher end stuff I am buying and this is not good cause that means I spend more money.

Everyone at my works thinks I am crazy for fishing when weather is colder then plus 10 so me practicing my casts at work is nothing out of the ordinary for me.