Fly Fusion Forums

U. S. Vs. Canadian Navies

Back when I was in the service, the Canadians had some pretty nice ships. Don't know how well they compare today......

THE USS RONALD REAGAN CVN 76

Seeing it next to the Arizona Memorial really puts its size into perspective...

USS REAGAN PASSING THE ARIZONA MEMORIAL

When the Bridge pipes 'Man the Rail' there is a lot of rail to man on this monster shoulder to shoulder, around 4.5 acres. Her displacement is about 100,000 tons with full complement.

Capability:

Top speed exceeds 30 knots (note from Rick: my bet is WAY over 30 kts.), powered by two nuclear reactors that can operate for more than 20 years without refueling (Note from Rick: I used to run the reactors when I was in the Navy. Bad ass pieces of gear!)

1. Expected to operate in the fleet for about 50 years

2. Carries over 80 combat aircraft?

3. Three arresting cables can stop a 28-ton aircraft going 150 miles per hour in less than 400 feet

Size:

Towers 20 stories above the waterline?

1. 1092 feet long; nearly as long as the Empire State Building is tall

2. Flight deck covers 4.5 acres

3. 4 bronze propellers, each 21 feet across, weighing 66,200 pounds

4. 2 rudders, each 29 by 22 feet and weighing 50 tons

5. 4 high speed aircraft elevators, each over 4,000 square feet

Capacity:

Home to about 6,000 Navy personnel

1. Carries enough food and supplies to operate for 90 days

2. 18,150 meals served daily

3. Distillation plants provide 400,000 gallons of fresh water from sea water daily, enough for 2000 homes

4. Nearly 30,000 light fixtures and 1,325 miles of cable and wiring, 1,400 telephones

5. 14,000 pillowcases and 28,000 sheets

6. Costs the Navy approximately $250,000 per day for pier side operation

7. Costs the Navy approximately $25 million per day for underway operations (Sailor's salaries included).

reaganmn4.jpg

CDN NAVY WELCOMES HMCS JEAN CHRETEIN

Sunday July 2nd 2006 leaving Vancouver, BC

The DND welcomed the latest member of its fleet today.

Pictured below:

The Jean Chretien (CVS1) set sail today from its home of Vancouver, BC.

The ship is the first of its kind in the Navy and is a standing legacy to Jean Chretien 'for his foresight in military budget cuts' and his conduct while prime minister.

The ship is constructed nearly entirely from recycled aluminum and is completely solar powered with a top speed of 5 knots. It boasts an arsenal comprised of one (unarmed) Sea King helicopter or one (unarmed) CF18 Hornet aircraft which, although they cannot be launched or captured on the 100 foot flight deck, form a very menacing presence.

As a standing order there are no firearms allowed on board. The 20-person crew is completely diversified, including members of all races, creeds, sex, and sexual orientation. Don't ask-don't tell. The crew aboard the HMCS Jean Chretien is specially trained to avoid conflicts and appease any and all enemies of Canada at all costs!

A Type One DNC Universal Translator can send messages of apology in any language to anyone who may find Canada offensive. The number of apologies are limitless and, though some may sound hollow and disingenuous, the Navy advises that all apologies will sound very sincere.

canadacarrierco6.jpg

Note: I got this from a Canadian and am just passing it along. Don't shoot the messenger!!

THE USS RONALD REAGAN CVN 76

Her displacement is about 100,000 tons with full complement.

Towers 20 stories above the waterline?

1. 1092 feet long; nearly as long as the Empire State Building is tall

2. Flight deck covers 4.5 acres

3. 4 bronze propellers, each 21 feet across, weighing 66,200 pounds

4. 2 rudders, each 29 by 22 feet and weighing 50 tons

5. 4 high speed aircraft elevators, each over 4,000 square feet

Capacity:

Home to about 6,000 Navy personnel

reaganmn4.jpg

Hmmm......makes for a nice BIG target!!!!

LOL! Awesome.

I remember my uncle telling me a story.. once when he was at a NHRA Drag Racing event down in the US.. a few of them were talking about the insane amount horsepower that Top Fuel dragsters make (usually in the 5000-7000HP range)..

A fella sitting behind them says "you think that's horsepower? How about a US Navy aircraft carrier?" and proceeds to talk about the sheer size.. AND how the "advertised top speed" and "actual top speed" are 2 completely different things.

Pretty crazy stuff.

Rickr - the US military is all about brute force. There's a book called "Blink" that has a true story within it about an American Admiral who was assigned to represent the "enemy" for a war games scenario. He devised a strategy, based on resources available to the middle eastern terrorist, that resulted in the disabling of nearly the entire on site US fleet in a surprise attack. The war game planners were flummoxed so they changed the rules to restrict his options and ran a successful scenario. This was done in preparation for the "successful" invasion of Iraq.

I would not argue with the brute force angle. But as someone who worked in the military for awhile, I can tell you that brute force is backed up by tons of high tech as well.

Now I don't doubt that a Admiral came up with a plan to disable a fleet. Hopefully, his ability to think is why we made him an admiral. That said, I don't think many terrorists (or countries for that matter) possess the intimate knowledge he did. So while he restricted himself to resources available to a middle eastern country, I would think that his knowledge would be un-reproduceable by a middle eastern enemy. But I will look for the book, I like that kind of stuff.

Another suggestion:

Blind Man's Bluff about the nuclear submarine service is an excellent read.

That almost sounds a little to true. the HMCS Bonaventure was decommissioned because the Seafire planes were so heavy they were warping the deck...LMAO

All kidding aside, when I was in the Canadian Naval Reserves, I heard it said that the best navy in the world would consist of American ships, because they spend the most $$ on them, with Canadian sailors & British officers, because their better trained.

All kidding aside, when I was in the Canadian Naval Reserves, I heard it said that the best navy in the world would consist of American ships, because they spend the most $ on them, with Canadian sailors & British officers, because their better trained.

I'd believe it for sure, my dad was a radar tech in the RCAF back in the late 60's and went to Biloxi for a "training" seminar that was suppose to be three weeks long, after a month, he moved my mother down there and stayed for 4 more years as the instructor. He was actually employed by the USAF and had to ask for a discharge in '74 when my mom became pregnant with my sister. not to bad for a crazy canuck .. ("stupid" Newfie at that) .. but hands down the best military EQUIPMENT

What's funny is that if you look on the front facing of the deck. It says "US NAVY"

:ridemcowboy:

Good eye!

As for the phalanx, it didn't stop those #@!*^$s from hurting the Cole and her crew.

As Stanley Baldwin said 'the bombers will always get thru'.

The Canadian frigate is still a very capable weapon platform.

Have seen the next thing for the Mericans...reminds me of the Minator (old iron clad)

http://www.ddg1000.com/

Don't know what the training is in the Canadian Navy, I'm sure it's impressive (I say that in true sincerity).

Here is the training I had to qualify to operate a nuclear power plant on a warship:

6 months of Electronics School

6 months of Nuclear Theory

6 months of Nuclear Prototype Training

Drop rate for the above 3: 75%. That's after passing a pretty rigorous entrance test to even get into the nuclear program.

6 months of advanced electronics school.

So 2 years of schooling, 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week. No spring break, no summer vacation. And once the instructors determined what they thought you were capable of, they would accept nothing less. So you could never coast.

University was a joke after this.

I also have been involved in war games with different navies. NOTHING can stop a modern fast attack sub. NOTHING!! When we played games, we had all sorts of restrictions on what we could do. Essentially, we couldn't go deep, and we couldn't run "quiet". We had to run equipment specifically to try to make enough noise for us to be detected to make the surface boys feel good!

There is nothing in the world that can break the defensive threshold of the Phalanx cannons

Except the approach of two supersonic weapons from different quarters.

Except a malfunction of the weapon, guidance system, or radar tracking (not at all unusual).

Our Navy isn't built to compete with any other Navy in the world. Since Midway, surface engagements have been dominated by air power and we can't compete with any Navy that has geared it's battle force around the stand-off benefits of air strikes.

Thats not to say that some of our gear isn't top notch, some of it is - but our strategy has never been built around facing down any other Naval power. Its been designed to be integrated into US battle/carrier groups and for domestic paroling as deterrence to smuggling (human/contraband) and unauthorized landing/transit.

At the end of the Second World War Canada had the third largest Navy in the world. We have a proud Naval tradition that lives on despite the jokes of the uninformed ass who started this thread. The role of any Navy is force projection... and force projection is what determines power amongst nation states... control the seas, control the world. That's a fact since Athens held the crown. Why is the US dominant? Because they have the best Navy. Canada's Navy may not monitor all the sea lanes of the world, but the ones we do patrol, we do so with authority.

At the end of the Second World War Canada had the third largest Navy in the world. We have a proud Naval tradition that lives on despite the jokes of the uninformed ass who started this thread.

As the uniformed ass in question...

It was a joke, sent to me by a canadian as a joke. And while I have never stepped foot on a Canadian vessel, I have gotten drunk with some Canadian sailors in Hawaii. Seemed like good guys with good gear, but this was in the mid 80s.

As the uniformed ass in question...

It was a joke, sent to me by a canadian as a joke. And while I have never stepped foot on a Canadian vessel, I have gotten drunk with some Canadian sailors in Hawaii. Seemed like good guys with good gear, but this was in the mid 80s.

As an aside...I found myself in Virgina Beach after the end of the first Gulf War...or was it just intermission....anyhoo...Was in a bar with my buddie having a few and there was a rowdy table behind us loaded with angry young men...one of these guys comes up to me and says 'where are you from?" gotta say I was a little afraid...told him I was a Canadian....he breaks into a big smile and yells to his buds that I was Canadian....seems the Canuks had been able to get the odd beer to them while on tour...let me tell you for the next x hours I met dozens (hundreds?) of sailors...they took me to 'their' bar and I had at least 3' of bar infront of me filled with beers...someone new would come into the bar and would be introduced to me and they would say something like "I owe you a beer"...I got hammered...even at the end they piled me into a cab and paid the fair....was a great day.