Fly Fusion Forums

Lower Cnd $ = Higher Tackle Prices ???

CrisD

My understanding from when things were going the other way around is that the retailers negotiate their prices/exchange rate with their suppliers once a year. That's the reason I was told that the gear prices didn't immediately come down. So if that's the case, I guess it all depends on when they last negotiated and when the next time will be. It may be that they only negotiate this with certain distributors and not others. It may also depend on if they pay their suppliers in US or CDN $. If they pay their bills in USD, then the retailer may choose to include some markup to compensate for the unfavourable exchange rate.

This information was given to me by a local shop owner (who I trust) so take it with as many grains of salt as you want.

I went into a shop today looking at a set of Simms waders. They were marked as $399, but I was told that the price was in americian and the actual price was $429. So yes some guys are already gacking prices eventhough I am sure that the waders were purchased when the dollar was at par.

Like the gas stations they are quick to gack the price but slow to lower it.

My understanding from when things were going the other way around is that the retailers negotiate their prices/exchange rate with their suppliers once a year. That's the reason I was told that the gear prices didn't immediately come down. So if that's the case, I guess it all depends on when they last negotiated and when the next time will be. It may be that they only negotiate this with certain distributors and not others. It may also depend on if they pay their suppliers in US or CDN $. If they pay their bills in USD, then the retailer may choose to include some markup to compensate for the unfavourable exchange rate.

This information was given to me by a local shop owner (who I trust) so take it with as many grains of salt as you want.

Well you can almost be 100% assured that prices will go up alot faster than they went down...

They sure have.

I've been in the market for a new salmon rod 8100-4 Z-Axis for some time decided it was time to pull the trigger. Dropped in to my local dealer and he didn't have one on the rack, so I asked him to order me one, said he would this weekend. After a day or two I started thinking on the exchange rate and decided to call another out of province dealer to see if he had one in stock and he didn't and could not honour his listed price due to the exchange rate and that sage has upped there prices. ($45 MSRP on the launch 4 piece I know for sure) and the new price would be around $890 plus taxes instead of the listed $695.

Looking like I wouldn't be getting the new rod I called back the guy who was ordering me the z-axis to get a final price and thinking of cancelling the order, he said he found one in the back and the price was $689 based on the old price and the strength of the cdn when he bought it in.

Can't wait to get off of work and try this thing...................to bad the season is over..............oh well there is always the salt.