Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone Know Where I Go To Fish In Castlegar??

The Columbia is right in front of my mom's place but it makes the Bow look like a little brook!

I'm going to stop in the fly shop tomorrow and ask for directions.. but thought you guys might have some insight as well??

I used to have a friend that lived in castlegar. 3 years ago, I stayed for a week. We hired a guide one day and floated the 3 times ourselves in pontoon boats. We fished for walleye during the day and the rainbows in the evening. They have a caddis hatch just like the bow. The guide took us to a place about 10 to 15 minutes downstream of castlegar. I think the locals call

it the sand bar. I believe you can park at the top of the hill and walk down the path. Lots of big fish rising in the current taking caddis. That was my first year fly fishing and i didn't do to well on the fly rod, but caught a few 5 or 6 pounders on the spin cast. I hope that helps. Good luck.

I used to have a friend that lived in castlegar. 3 years ago, I stayed for a week. We hired a guide one day and floated the 3 times ourselves in pontoon boats. We fished for walleye during the day and the rainbows in the evening. They have a caddis hatch just like the bow. The guide took us to a place about 10 to 15 minutes downstream of castlegar. I think the locals call

it the sand bar. I believe you can park at the top of the hill and walk down the path. Lots of big fish rising in the current taking caddis. That was my first year fly fishing and i didn't do to well on the fly rod, but caught a few 5 or 6 pounders on the spin cast. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Amen, you can do quite well on the that river from shore/wading. There are only a few places for access but it can be quite productive sometimes.

There was another good spot in Trail that was on the river near the car dealerships across the bridge. More caddis action there too!

Don't neglect that river out of hand due to a lack of a boat!

Talked to Rod at the Fly Shop today and he said it's all Caddis right now. So he set me up with a couple of each style that have been working. Also told me that I shouldn't have any problem at all fishing from shore on the Columbia right in front of my mom's place.

Just find some fish that are rising and try to cast in front of them.

When I first went in I told him I was visiting and wanted to get in to some Steelhead.. he proceeds to tell me "there are no steelhead around here" because the river is all dammed up in different places. Kind of weird since I was reading an article about Steelhead in the Columbia.

But then he said, but there's lots of rainbows around.. so that was a relief. I asked him what the "average" size was and he was like "ohh.. probably 4-6 pounds".. :o

Oh yeh boys and girls.. I'll be on the river in like T minus 10 minutes!

Went out tonight for about an hour and a half. Man it gets dark quick here in the middle of the mountains!!

Tried the dry flies at first because there were some fish rising.. but I couldn't cast out to them. Put my waders on but I was already up to my belly like 20 feet out! Couldn't cast to the fish without getting hooked in the trees behind me. Pretty frustrating.

Switched to a streamer and had one on my third cast.. but he came directly at me and I couldn't get the line tight quick enough and he got off. Felt like he was a decent size. I'll be back for sure. :)

You pretty much nailed it thefisherking.. the spot is called "D Bar D" and is just south of Castlegar in Ooteshenia. Very cool. Found it tonight and there was a couple drift boats out actually filming a fly fishing show! One guy nailed a 23" rainbow about 2 minutes after I arrived.. very cool!

LOTS of fish rising here and the hatch was insane.. I think I took it like a man though.. pretty crazy standing in the middle of literally thousands of bugs with probably 15-20 on you at any given time.

Bottom line.. I suck at casting dries. Didn't even get a hit.. (although there was a couple other dudes around me that didn't get anything either). And I'm pretty sure it's because I don't have a proper tapered leader.. AND was too lazy to tie one up while standing there watching everyone else fish. I'll have to start tying up some tapered leaders while I'm sitting around home.. guess I should get a leader wallet too.

I'll have to start tying up some tapered leaders while I'm sitting around home.. guess I should get a leader wallet too.

Well, you could always go out and buy a leader! But I agree that putting together your own leaders is a good thing to do. Sounds like you're having a bit of fun out there. Good luck and keep us posted.