Fly Fusion Forums

Poachers

I was out yesterday for a few hrs east of the highway 24 bridge crossing and on my way back to my vehicle I noticed 3 people on the north side of the river sitting along the bank very close to each other and only saw them cast about once every 10 minutes(bait), although my eyesight is not that great at 200 yds I did find it rather strange so I called the R A P number and made my report .

I did stay for about another 45 min and no officer and no phone call so I thought oh well at least I reported it. Today at about noon I get a call from the C.O. saying that my suspicions were right, he drove all the way from Drumheller and they were still siting there. Final outcome $1600.00 in fines and 8 charges between the 3 of them.

I was equally as stunned when I looked to the west and see someone fishing in the closed area between the weir and highway 24.

I guess the system does work.

DI

I was out yesterday for a few hrs east of the highway 24 bridge crossing and on my way back to my vehicle I noticed 3 people on the north side of the river sitting along the bank very close to each other and only saw them cast about once every 10 minutes(bait), although my eyesight is not that great at 200 yds I did find it rather strange so I called the R A P number and made my report .

I did stay for about another 45 min and no officer and no phone call so I thought oh well at least I reported it. Today at about noon I get a call from the C.O. saying that my suspicions were right, he drove all the way from Drumheller and they were still siting there. Final outcome $1600.00 in fines and 8 charges between the 3 of them.

I was equally as stunned when I looked to the west and see someone fishing in the closed area between the weir and highway 24.

I guess the system does work.

DI

Good Job!!..........We need to keep an eye and report the bad guys.......

Excellent work, and good to hear they got out there in time..the couple times I've called in the poachers were gone before a CO could show up. Considering how much money the Bow can generate economically, there should be at least someone closer than Drumheller to respond to calls.

Drifted down from Carseland on Saturday. I saw a group (family?) just downstream of the 24 bridge after we launched but couldn't clearly tell what they were using. When we got back that evening we saw a fisherman upstream of the bridge and a jet boat just rounding the furthest upstream corner. I told my friends I was going to phone RAP when we'd finished rigging out but didn't have much hope that anyone would be on duty late Saturday. Turns the fish cop was already there and had been busy with tickets in the area since 3pm that afternoon. He was waiting for the upstream wader to get out of the river but hadn't seen the boat upstream. Sounds like he picked off a few people fishing the closed area. Might have been your guy. Congrats on the reward money. Spend it well. The gov't runs multi billion$ surpluses so do not feel you need to leave it with them.

Just wondering why it closes from the weir to hwy 24 when the rest of the bow above and below stays open....

awesome job on the poachers ...this kind of action and consequences will hopefully deter future poachers....

Drifted down from Carseland on Saturday. I saw a group (family?) just downstream of the 24 bridge after we launched but couldn't clearly tell what they were using. When we got back that evening we saw a fisherman upstream of the bridge and a jet boat just rounding the furthest upstream corner. I told my friends I was going to phone RAP when we'd finished rigging out but didn't have much hope that anyone would be on duty late Saturday. Turns the fish cop was already there and had been busy with tickets in the area since 3pm that afternoon. He was waiting for the upstream wader to get out of the river but hadn't seen the boat upstream. Sounds like he picked off a few people fishing the closed area. Might have been your guy. Congrats on the reward money. Spend it well. The gov't runs multi billion$ surpluses so do not feel you need to leave it with them.

As far as I know, that section is closed for the fall spawners for 2 months, btw the fines were for fishing with bait, having over the limit in their possession, and having fish over the slot limit ( 35cm ), they had even docked the tails so it was harder to tell the length but the fish still measured 39 cms.

thanks for all the kudos, I just think its really our responsibility to report these things for the future of the watersheds we visit regularily.

ty

DI