Fly Fusion Forums

Bonefish Trip

Conor

I just booked a week in Islamorada for some flats fishing. I thought I might pick the brains of people who have done some flats fishing.

Other than the pretty obvious stuff, what should a guy bring on trip like this? And what to do to prepare? Thanks for any tips.

The most important piece of gear would be a good pair polarized sunglasses with Amber or Copper lenses as well as the individually packaged disposable lens cleaning cloths. The regular spray and cloth seems to get salt water on it and it will not clean very well. A bandanna or buff also adds good sun protection to the neck and face in conjunction with sunscreen. Sun gloves are also a must to prevent sunburn on the tops of your hands and more importantly line burns that you seem to get when hooking a 100 lb tarpon or a large bonefish. Pliers that can cut 60 lb-80 lb flurocarbon will also come in handy if you need to make up Tarpon leaders. If you are fishing mostly from a skiff, then I would bring a pair of thin white socks for casting from the boat. This will give your white Alberta feet some sun protection and also provide better feel for where the line is. Wearing wading boots or sandals sucks and you won't know if your standing on your line when a large fish is hooked which will almost always result in screaming, yelling and F-bombs when your hook gets spit or snapped off violently. A hip pack for flies, leaders, pliers etc is also a good option because you won't feel like wearing a vest in 35 deg weather. Also bring a light rain jacket because the odd squall can swoop in and chill you to the bone no matter what time of year. Other than the obvious stuff to bring such as rods and reels, these are some of the things you will wish you had if you leave them behind. I hope this helps.

I just booked a week in Islamorada for some flats fishing. I thought I might pick the brains of people who have done some flats fishing.

Other than the pretty obvious stuff, what should a guy bring on trip like this? And what to do to prepare? Thanks for any tips.

Conor,

What species will you target?

Dean

Guest Sundancefisher

I agree mostly with the above except I found when standing in the boat, bare feet were fine. I had the really thick sunscreen that worked well. The buff was great also. I found the gloves were a waste of money. I preferred the long sleeve fishing shirt that partly covered the hands. Then I was just careful to have sunscreen on the back of them. Did not get a burn. I had a pair of flats books I bought at Outdoor World. They were absolutely needed. You do not want rocks and coral and sand getting in your boots. If you are going fishing for bones, 2 eight weights minimum are needed. I broke one on my 5th cast though and wish I had 3. It is almost worth it to buy an extra tip if using a Temple Fork. For permit I was told 10 weight but I caught a nice one on my 8 weight. I also found the 8 good for smaller Jacks and cudas. I would recommend the 10 weight for larger jacks, cudas and large permit and smaller tarpon. 12 weight for tarpon over 80 pounds. Unlikely you will see any and you can still fight a 100 lber on an 10 weight.

Take lots of water and wear a hat with a neck shade (foreign legion style).

I had a great first time out in Belize. The guide said many times guys go fishing on the first day, figure they are okay for sunscreen or just not care and spend the rest of their trip in the hospital. Burning happens very, very fast.

I organized a trip for 10 people this past May and it went well. I am considering another for 2009 but kids, wife, house, work and salmon fishing is cutting into it.

Have a great time

Sun.

The most important piece of gear would be a good pair polarized sunglasses with Amber or Copper lenses as well as the individually packaged disposable lens cleaning cloths. The regular spray and cloth seems to get salt water on it and it will not clean very well. A bandanna or buff also adds good sun protection to the neck and face in conjunction with sunscreen. Sun gloves are also a must to prevent sunburn on the tops of your hands and more importantly line burns that you seem to get when hooking a 100 lb tarpon or a large bonefish. Pliers that can cut 60 lb-80 lb flurocarbon will also come in handy if you need to make up Tarpon leaders. If you are fishing mostly from a skiff, then I would bring a pair of thin white socks for casting from the boat. This will give your white Alberta feet some sun protection and also provide better feel for where the line is. Wearing wading boots or sandals sucks and you won't know if your standing on your line when a large fish is hooked which will almost always result in screaming, yelling and F-bombs when your hook gets spit or snapped off violently. A hip pack for flies, leaders, pliers etc is also a good option because you won't feel like wearing a vest in 35 deg weather. Also bring a light rain jacket because the odd squall can swoop in and chill you to the bone no matter what time of year. Other than the obvious stuff to bring such as rods and reels, these are some of the things you will wish you had if you leave them behind. I hope this helps.

What he said.

If you're heading out on a skiff, it's very likely that you'll get soaked on the way to and back from your fishing area so the rain jacket's a good idea just to have for the ride there and back. Lens cleaning cloths are also a very good idea because like I said, you'll get soaked. If you're looking for a pair of flat's boots, Patagonia has them on for around 50.00 online. The socks are also a good idea for casting from the skiff, and to keep the grit in your boots from irritating your feet if you end up wading.

Sunscreen, a buff, sunscreen, long brimmed hat, sunscreen, long sleeved shirt and sunscreen, are probably the most important things to bring with

Talk to Gord at Westwinds he's put together a good checklist for anyone heading south, Westwinds, or Country Pleasures can supply you with all the gear, and can take a look at it to make sure it's good to go. And if you're not familiar with them already get them to show you some of the knots you'll need.

Make sure to take the rod that you'll be using out and do some casting practice, especially on windy days. Chances are you'll be casting further and into significantly more windy conditions than you've had to up here.

Every time I see a picture of someone on long sleeves, hat, zinc oxide on the nose, SPF 1,000,000 I wonder why I'm not dead.

Shorts, no shirt (at least when I was younger) and coconut oil! Might as well get a tan while you are fishing, the girls seem to like it.

Seriously, while I almost never wear long sleeves, I would certainly recommend it. Nothing will ruin your trip faster than a good sunburn. The feet are another, as stated above. The worst two sunburns I've ever had were on my feet and on the top of my bald head (stupidity in both cases). If the burn is bad enough, you will not want to fish. It is miserable. So cover up. You'll look like a geek, and women will laugh at you, but you'll get to keep fishing!

If you hook Tarpon you will be thankful you have Sun Gloves. I've been to Cuba/Belize? Coszumel salt water fly fishing 7 years in a row and you would be

stupid not to bring them if you were running into Tarpon. Buy the Sungloves! I'm sure your interested in catching a Tarpon if you see one!

Some great tips, guys. Exactly what I was looking for. Cheers.

I'll be down there the first week of November, so sun won't be a huge issue. I'll still be on the safe side, but I don't think I'll be decked out Michael Jackson style. :lol:

We'll be targeting bones, mainly. But, if the cold fronts move in early, we'll probably end up in the back-country for tarpon, snook, reds etc. We'll be fishing with a local guide who has taken the week off for vacation (buddy of a buddy), so we will pretty much just be tagging along in respect to species. Paying in fuel and beer :beer:

Some casting instruction is in the works. Very much needed.

Russ- cheers for that. I actually asked another buddy to borrow his 10 wt, but he is a bit scetchy, so I may hit you up. I've heard you can't trust people from Cape Breton :P

So very pumped :kicks:

If you hook Tarpon you will be thankful you have Sun Gloves. I've been to Cuba/Belize? Coszumel salt water fly fishing 7 years in a row and you would be

stupid not to bring them if you were running into Tarpon. Buy the Sungloves! I'm sure your interested in catching a Tarpon if you see one!

7 years in a row, eh? Once a year? So roughly seven times. Anyone's that fished for tarpon once will have some good advice to offer...you certainly did (mudkid) so did Sundance. I would never wear socks on a boat just because I don't think I'd be able to stand wet socks on my feet all day but it would help to keep the sun off your feet for sure.

Not to brag but I've probably caught more tarpon on a fly than anyone on this board. I lived in a spot (for 10 years) where there are known to be dozens of world record tarpon swimming in the rivers and estuaries...Homosassa/ Crystal River, FL and I fished at least 3 times a week. I never put on a pair of gloves. You need an anti-reverse reel such as a Billy Pate and some very light touches on the rim otherwise you'll bust your leader. I'm not defending Sundance...I wouldn't know him from a hole in the ground but there's no need for the "sundickhead" comment.

60-80 lb. for a shock tippet...for tarpon? You'll want at least 80 lb. You need to be able to set the hook like you're setting into a whale and that will strain 80lb. to its' max.

Conor,

Bones and permit are probably going to be your best bet at that time of the year. It's starting to push the tarpon season. You might get lucky and catch a cuda too...lots of fun just watch the teeth.

You will need to learn to cast about 80 feet into the wind and lay the line down like you're casting to a rising brown. Bonefish will spook faster than any trout I have ever seen. Just practice and you'll get it down quick. Everyone has given some awesome advice and I don't really think I can add too much more.

7 years in a row, eh? Once a year? So roughly seven times. Anyone's that fished for tarpon once will have some good advice to offer...you certainly did (mudkid) so did Sundance. I would never wear socks on a boat just because I don't think I'd be able to stand wet socks on my feet all day but it would help to keep the sun off your feet for sure.

Not to brag but I've probably caught more tarpon on a fly than anyone on this board. I lived in a spot (for 10 years) where there are known to be dozens of world record tarpon swimming in the rivers and estuaries...Homosassa/ Crystal River, FL and I fished at least 3 times a week. I never put on a pair of gloves. You need an anti-reverse reel such as a Billy Pate and some very light touches on the rim otherwise you'll bust your leader. I'm not defending Sundance...I wouldn't know him from a hole in the ground but there's no need for the "sundickhead" comment.

60-80 lb. for a shock tippet...for tarpon? You'll want at least 80 lb. You need to be able to set the hook like you're setting into a whale and that will strain 80lb. to its' max.

Conor,

Bones and permit are probably going to be your best bet at that time of the year. It's starting to push the tarpon season. You might get lucky and catch a cuda too...lots of fun just watch the teeth.

You will need to learn to cast about 80 feet into the wind and lay the line down like you're casting to a rising brown. Bonefish will spook faster than any trout I have ever seen. Just practice and you'll get it down quick. Everyone has given some awesome advice and I don't really think I can add too much more.

Anyone who has caught more Tarpon than anyone on the board doesn't need advise. I think you might need to cast 83 .5 feet into the wind or no mabey 78 feet. Sungloves are a gimmick and useless. Make sure you follow Einstien's instructions since she lived there for 10 years. We cannot wait for the book and video. Your feet don't get wet on a skiff.

Holy cow! I didn't know that people could take differences of opinions on gloves or boots so personally.

Conor, Early November can surprise you. While it ain't August, it can still get pretty darn hot between the fronts. The advise here has been sound, and sometimes passionately defended. I don't think you need to go Michael Jackson, but it wouldn't be a mistake to err on the safe side.

oh! so you lived in texas and so your a freakin expert on the effects of the sun in november in an area you lived close to!!! And what the hell do you have against michael Jackson! are you making fun of him having a skin problem?! cuz his problem has nothing to do with the sun! Can't wait for your book on sun safety rick

Russ- cheers for that. I actually asked another buddy to borrow his 10 wt, but he is a bit scetchy, so I may hit you up. I've heard you can't trust people from Cape Breton

That's just wrong! Your buddy from Cape Breton is likely nothing but an outstanding fella. If your going for Bonefish a 10wt would be a little overkill, I was fine with an 8wt. My 8,9, or 10 are all at your disposable if needed. Also if your doing any wading I have flats boots you can use. Definitely learn to double haul.

The guys in the keys (Andy Mills) is sometimes using 40 lb shock with a 1/0 since the tarpon are getting so spooky....

oh! so you lived in texas and so your a freakin expert on the effects of the sun in november in an area you lived close to!!! And what the hell do you have against michael Jackson! are you making fun of him having a skin problem?! cuz his problem has nothing to do with the sun! Can't wait for your book on sun safety rick

Atta-boy, Jared! Keep that Texican in line! :wave_smile: