Fly Fusion Forums

Southland Dog Park

I don't know what it is with that area, but from Carburn Park right down to the Douglasdale Bridge, it is just ripe with poachers. We even stopped to fish the run by the DD bridge one time and had a Chinese family scatter down the bank and beg us to give them the fish we caught....said they'd even whack it for us if we stayed and caught more for them. They had no idea what we caught or the size...they just wanted it. Talk about poaching by proxy!!!

No...but bring your cell to call RAP. I busted 5 poachers down there in the past week, plus my buddy ran two more off last night. Not many fish left on that stretch, but the war continues.

so that's why. I couldn't figure out why the fishing for me has slacked off a bit! That royally effin sucks.

How did you and Brett do?

some would consider poaching to be a good responsible financial decision. you can poach and get free fish each worth probably 10-20 bucks each for a nice 20"er at the grocery store. if you get caught 1 out of ten or fifteen times then you're golden. if all you care about is making/keeping your $$$, then poaching makes for a good plan.

in my mind, the only way to reduce the poaching is through increased policing and increased penalties.

I was at dewitts a while ago and this chinnese guy and his kid were catching fish, the first thing they did was throw it on the ground the 5 year old kid would grab a rock bash the fish about 5 times then throw in this pale they had, i never went over to see how many fish they had in their white 5 gallon pale. But it was ridiculous to watch.

till you get mercury posioning

Yeah, hopefully karma will get these guys! It's a bit like the illegal harvesting of shark fins for shark fin soup. I've heard that the toxins in the fins get concentrated many times over in the making of the soup, so the very people who are driving the market are probably killing themselves in the process. Go watch the movie Shark Water if you want to get really mad and depressed!

...tried looking on the city's website but found nothing. I think it stays open too. I was parked there last year and was fishing late-late and was the last vehicle in the lot (was worried I'd have to smash through the gates). Gates weren't locked and drove out. Phone 311, maybe they can confirm it. I don't think there is a sign driving in with times or anything.

Another spot you can park is outside of the Carburn Park gates and walk from there. It's probably about the same distance of walk to the bridge. So long as you are on the street you can stay till the wee hours if ya want.