Fly Fusion Forums

Where Have You Been Hooked?

ok fly fishing

a #6 clouser in the back of the head

a #6 white wooly bugger in the ass (wish2fish laughed his ass off at that)

Spin fishing

a giant muskie crank 3 trebles 2 hooks on 2 of three trebles in my hand after triping on my boat 45 min drive in boat (son yaking over the side from the blood) then 1hr drive in car after loading boat on trailer, to the hospital ( since then every hook in my box get debarbed)

Once in the ear standing too close to a friend of mine, fingers a zillion times and once in the scalp that ended in the emergency room. I was bass fishing with a shad rap and snagged some weeds. Rather than taking the weeds off by hand, I slapped the lure down a few times on the surface. Unfortunately I didn't notice the line getting longer and on the third slap I hooked myself. My buddy tried minor surgery to get me free but no luck. So after a few more hours of fishing and the lure hanging off my head we went to the ER. If any one could free me it would be them right? Nope, well not on the first try. Doctor #1 hooked himself on the front treble hooks and it took doctor #2 to unhook both of us. But not until he had fully documented the situation on film and entered it into the ER's book of weird stuff.

Once in the ear standing too close to a friend of mine, fingers a zillion times and once in the scalp that ended in the emergency room. I was bass fishing with a shad rap and snagged some weeds. Rather than taking the weeds off by hand, I slapped the lure down a few times on the surface. Unfortunately I didn't notice the line getting longer and on the third slap I hooked myself. My buddy tried minor surgery to get me free but no luck. So after a few more hours of fishing and the lure hanging off my head we went to the ER. If any one could free me it would be them right? Nope, well not on the first try. Doctor #1 hooked himself on the front treble hooks and it took doctor #2 to unhook both of us. But not until he had fully documented the situation on film and entered it into the ER's book of weird stuff.

Good to know they made a mockery of you before they actually helped you....lol

I've had a few in the hands and back. Buried a #6 black wolly bugger into the meat of my hand. Buried as in I couldn't see the curve of the hook. My brother also hit me square in the eye this summer on my boat. Thank god I was wearing sunglasses.

Less than impressed.

My worst was a 3/0 treble directly into my index finger knuckle. We were 3 hours from shore with just a 1/4 day's pay behind us. We tried to pull it out, but it was too far in. I was afraid I would break my finger. I went down-deck and cut it out with a fillet knife.

Went to the clinic the next day and the doctor actually yelled at me. The nerve.

I hooked my very understanding buddy right through his nose. To top it off I had neglected to pinch my barb...which is not my style, just a mistake on this instance. We would pull it and his nose would just stretch down. I finally just had to giver gears with my pliers! very understanding buddy!

One time a bully spat a huge cone head double bunny at me. It brought to mind the time a trout spat a tiny bwo and hit me in that little space in my sunglasses right over the bridge of my nose. So when the double bunny of death came whistling my name I nearly hit the dirt!

It's much better to get hooked with a barbless size 18 bwo than almost anything else.

Sadly, it seems that I have to be reminded that hooks are sharp every time I tie. That's the only explanation for the blood and swearing.

casting what seemed to be a wet sock on my pike rig -a really soft flex 8 wt with an attitude and mind of its own. the wind picked up and changed directions just as the fly was going forward, somehow it made an abrupt left hand 90 degree turn and rung one off my back/neck. nearly knocked me out. thankfully it was not barbed and hit me in just the right way that it only made me leak a little bit. no major damage and popped right out. i've bled more from deer flies on the river

the other time was in the bottom of my ear lobe, i have no idea how i did it

In 20+ years of fishing I have only done it once. It was last year and out of pure stupidity I was fishing in a crosswind and took a popper (barb not squished down) in the back of the head. There was a lot of blood, but somehow I got it out myself. Pure stupidity on my part in all my years of flyfishing I should now better than fishing with a cross wind with a barbed hook.