Fly Fusion Forums

Bow On Rainy Days

duanec

i have a drift planned this sunday.

the updated weather forecast goes from 25 on saturday to 70-90% pop, 5 mm accum. & 16 degrees sunday. winds calm.

in my past i have had fantastic days both in lakes & streams on rainy days. i have also days where it's turned into a forced march.

q: apart from the usual inconveniences, in your exp. has the bow fished well in similar conditions to what's expected?

is this dramtic swing going to put the fishing off?

should i tell the girls to stay in bed?

feedback appreciated.

just hope the front moves in overnight and is stable by then [wind/barometer], or comes in later.

i too am a 'foul weather' guy, agreed traffic is lower and it can be killer. i'll be looking for the pig's cousin, or any of it's relatives.

anyone who whines gets the oars to keep warm.

police-->mck or mck-->legacy?

Sooooooo, you're saying that I shouldn't waste my time, unless I want to catch a pig of a brown?

Fishing the "worm hatch" during runoff is a completely different thing then fishing in the rain when the water is in normal conditions...

Posting a picture of fishing an outflow that is pumping out worms during runoff is misleading for this time of year...20 lb test, bobbers and 10-20foot casts..a real challenge.

This time of year, the BWO's are just waiting for a shitty day to get started. So have your duns ready if it goes to crap

If I don't PM you by saturday it means im knees deep packing up my house gettin ready for yet another move.

You know no matter what the water condition is the fishing is 75% confidence and 25% skill, but usually it takes an hour of not catching for my confidence to approach 0. Either pack up or move.

BigBrown

Just because those were caught with sjw's whilst raining and runoff doesn't mean I can't catch em any time of year. Its just that my confidence for catching big fish is high. My second biggest was caught on a #14 weevil with 6lb test. Using 20 means I don't snap em off and leave a hook in their mouth. They're all released and caught again the next year. I've caught the same fish 3 years in a row now down at 22x.

The river's really clear right now and I don't think any fall rainshowers are going to dirty it up much if at all. Just took the boy for a stroll down by Fish Creek and counted 14 rainbows eating nymphs in 2-3' of water in one spot.

I would think you'll want to stick to small nymphs, or man up and fish dries. :D