Fly Fusion Forums

This Time It's Ike

See the bay dead center in the highest of the tides (click the below link, click storm surge, scroll down)? That would be my home water. My mom lives on the water. 18 ft tides, if they happen, will wipe her out. The house sits about 14 feet or so above water. The grade up to the house from the water is about 6 ft, and the pilings she sits on are 8, I think (though maybe they are 10. I can't remember). Whatever, shes up 14-16 ft.

And before some of you say "how could you live there?", the last time they were hit with one anything like this (and if this one decreases in projected strength, the house will survive this one too) was like 1962.

Hope it diminishes, or continues to veer North.

Ike's Tides

Info is still sketchy. Most of the family made it fine. Some big trees down, and power may be out for a LONG time, but nothing too severe. My mother's house is a bigger unknown. The picture below is taken less than 1 mile from my mom's house. The houses you see on the right are all on stilts, about 8 ft high. As of 5 pm tonite, they were still not letting people in. As you can see, the roads need to be cleared a bit. I did read a short statement from the mayor of her town that said anything on the ground floor (and nobody has anything of value on the ground floor, it cannot be insured), but the main floors, on the stilts, appear to be ok. But until people get in, we won't know what the damage actually is. But the prelim reports are encouraging.

600xpopupgallery7196581hg0.jpg

No one still has been able to get to mom's house. My brother tried to go when he heard they had opened it up, but when he got their they wouldn't let him in becuase he wasn't a resident. We did hear from a neighbor that she lost a wall on the ground floor (below the level of the stilts, so non-structural). And there will be a BIG mess to clean up at a minimum. May be an unscheduled trip to the tropics for me for a bit of sweat equity!

Galveston Damage

I found the above on a fishing web site in Texas. It is a long series of shots taken on I-45 going into Galveston, to the beach, down to the west end of the Island and back to the seawall. The houses on stilts are just like my mom's. For those of you who make it through (it is very long), think about the sheer volume of stuff that has to be cleaned up. Staggering. Also, look at the boats. Any boat that was on the road was bulldozed off. Some of these boats are well into the 6 figures. Many of the shots taken into the water are where big fishing piers used to be. No longer!

My brother was working in Santa Fe, Texas (between Houston and Galveston). Haven't heard yet if the shop they were trying to set up got damaged or destroyed. Minimal communications from my bro that's for sure.... all we got was a short e-mail "im going back to houston stop worrying"... lol :)

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

its go great weather for 364 days a year but when mother nature is on her heavy flow get the F out the way (as Ludacris would say).

Hope your family and friends are all ok