Fly Fusion Forums

Building A Drift Boat

I started this thread back on the AFF board looking for some initial help. Thought I would show my progress and how the boat turned out. The boat is not the perfect specimen, but performs well. Having trouble locating 9 foot oars in Calgary. More than happy to share my experience if anyone has any questions.

Hope you enjoy.

Pipes

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

That is of course if I don't go absolutely nuts before winter arrives....... I think the tourism industry is all over for me.... seriously I may be a professional unemployed fish bum by the end of the week.....

But anyways back on topic I would be very interested in knowing what sort of specialized cutting, fastening, molding (shaping) tools you needed for this project. Also I would really like to know which areas of the construction you ran into problems with. I have access to various carpentry tools and saws and stuff and I have a small amount of experience myself and a wealth in others so I think such a project would be doable...... maybe. None the less you did a beautiful job with the boat

I didn't have any plans. I just drew up some diagrams and used the slide show from Greg Tatman (gregboats.com) to follow.

Tools used:

Table saw

Skill saw

Jig saw

cordless screwdriver/drill

palm and belt sanders (the most important tools as I hate the sanding)

Lots of hand clamps

I used the West System epoxy resin which is available at Lee Valley and Glenmore Sailboats.

Nick - Boat is both screwed and glued. The epoxy is used for sealing seams and screws. It is also used the glue together sheets of plywood.

Dryfly - Your boat should be done soon. I just need to know color and if you want left or right hand drive.

Bob - Cost of materials was about $850. That's for douglas fir hull and birch cabinets. Your big ticket items are wood and epoxy.