Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Or Pontoon??

Jayhad

So a buddy and I are looking at this http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/b...e.cfm?boatid=26

are we going just screwing around and should we look at a drift boat?

WE like the pontoon idea as we don't both need trailers, the cost is considearbly less then a drfit boat, and easy of storage are all high points.

I have never seen one on the Bow, but that doesn't mean people don't use them.

Your thoughts?

Jay

drift boats float so much slower than a pontoon and easy to row .ad to that dry storage ,room for three, no fear of getting a hole in it .also depends on where you are going to fish ,i agree that the pontoon is very light easy to load unload dont even need a boat launch,easy storage .if you add an electric motor to the pontoon would make rowing easyer .if your fishing bow all the time then drift boat .spend the money 3-4 years from now you will be glad you did .if you fish other streams ,lakes where accsess is limited then the pontoon is a great choice .or you could buy a drift boat and each buy your own pontoon .i think you might be able to rent something like that pontoon and try it out.my .02 happy shopping ...

I believe there are pros and cons for each decision. Personally, I like the idea of the pontoon boat. You have already mentioned a couple of the pros, let me add a few more.

First off, your day on the water is not tied to wether or not your partner can make it. If you decide to go for a float, simply load up your boat and go. I have been disappointed far too many times in the past waiting for someone else that says yes and then doesn't show up. Now, I just say I'm going and you can join me if you like.

Next thing is the cost. A pontoon is very affordable and it fits in my car. No trailer to tow.

Third, pretty much any small lake is good to go with a pontoon, even if you have to pack it in on a trail. It may be difficult to pack it up to a 1/4 mile or so but not impossible.

As far as drifting faster than a drift boat, that is probably true but you can control it with the oars

There are a couple of negatives as well. For instance, if you catch a bigger fish, the fish heads north as you are going south. It can be exciting as a lot of things are happening all at once. IE: guide the boat to shore,reel in the extra line,dont drop your rod or oars and dont lose the fish.

any how, these are just my thoughts.

Murray

I never tried a pontoon boat so I can only comment about drift boat side of things. I went on guided float a couple years ago and fell in love with that type of fly fishing. I'm lucky to have a friend who is just as crazy about fly fishing so it has worked well buying a drift boat together. With a drift boat you need a minimum of two people and that means fishing half the time. With 3 you get to fish 2/3 the time. I'm not sure on a pontoon what the ratio of rowing to fishing is. The shuttle service has been great and splitting the cost makes it a great deal. The drift boat is super stable and it can take a ton of gear. It nice to have a few rods rigged up to switch back and forth at a moments notice. It's normally easy to stop in the river and cast to rising fish.

Try both and see which one you like more.

I have the boat you posted. Actually a little different as it is Sportsman Wharehouse branded. Only real differences are that the pontoons are forest Green and Oars are Yellow. (It saved me a bunch buying it in Montana)(??-$1299) I have added a Standing platform for the Oarsman($100), Two Rod holders($8 each), Two Seat Caddies($10 each), Two seat saddle bags(??-$30 each), Motor Mount (??-$60), Electric Pump ($100), Manual Pump ($30). The Accessories start to add up. I really enjoy it, it is super stable, easy to row. Just floated Glenmore to Fishcreek on Saturday.

You should know it is fairly large so assembly takes some time. I have started to leave it together when using is and just strap it to a utility trailer I have. Makes launching so much quicker. But I like the option of breaking it down to take it inside a different vehicle. I don't think that even apart it would fit well in any car, but a truck/SUV/Van works well. Inflated it is about 13' by 5'. Floats in a maybe 3-4" of water. If you have other more specific questions feel free to ask and I will try to answer them best i can.

Guy

Guest Outcasts

Im not the richest guy in the world and would have loved to buy a hyde specifically for the bow and maybe the elk if I could make the trip but thats where my love for them stopped. My PAC1200 (exact same as what your lookin at but tougher vinyl) is one sweet unit, bought it used with a custom mahogany deck that runs from front to back and a motor mount for electric 55lbs thrust. Its amazing what kind of shallows you can run through, the movability is awesome and i can only ever find 1 other guy to go fishing with me anyways (im sure its nothing against me) so the hyde would have been a empty feeling boat. Also i keep it fully inflated year round and have a utility trailer for it, all i do for storage is lean it against the wall of my garage and strap it to the wall with one strap (its elevated to keep water from trapping and molding). But the best part is its fishability on electric only lakes and ponds and with the added storage with the floor it lacks nothing, if you do end up buying the fishcat and want a template for the floor im more than willing to show you mine. Just pm me but i think the bottom line is if its for the bow ONLY and you have a lake boat go with the hyde, if its going to be your only boat go with the pontoon, you can load and unload it yourself for solo trips and its alot of fun on the bow I even get away with two of us standing and casting (im rowing) while floating the slower parts, actually just landed my first fish while floating and rowing and fishing yesterday!!!

But just remember to take this with a grain of salt as you can tell by my name im a little bias :)

If a drift boat is within your budget and you have a place to park it then get one. Teach all your fishing buddies how to row/ splitt the shuttle costs and you will have many years of fun. IMO a pontoon is best used for transportation when drifing, I don't enjoy fishing from one when I am drifting. Once you fish from a drift boat the pontoon does not compare.

It really depends on how much you would like to spend. Drift boats are costly but if you look around you can find a used top of the line Clacka or Hyde for under 6 G's or cheaper if older. Most drift boats are unbeatable to fish out of and the fiberglass ones are very low maintenance (virtually none), and last a long time. It all depends on what you want to spend. Pontoons are great and less costly. Go in with a buddy and you won't regret a drift boat. Go in with a buddy on a double pontoon and you will have more dough to blow on rods, reels and everything else we tend to spend our money on. If your Andy you get to buy more bow hunting gear!