Fly Fusion Forums

European Nymphing Clinic

I’m considering offering a introductory level European Nymphing clinic.

I would teach leader construction, balancing different rigs with flies no split shot, tying demonstration, theory and history of these techniques and of course teaching the basics of Czech, Polish, and Spanish nymphing.

These are all tactics which have proven deadly for me in previous competitions and fishing our western trout streams each has its own place and time which I would expand upon during the course.

The course would run for a full day, most likely on the crowsnest river in September and/or October, depending on the interest I would be willing to accommodate a couple of Sundays in the pass for this course. I have used these techniques extensively in Alberta and around the world with great success and would like to pass it on.

I have worked passionately on refining these skills and would like to offer up my knowledge at a basic level for Alberta’s fishing community.

I would be charging 150 dollars per person, in groups of five per clinic.

So if anyone is interested speek up and i'll start putting this plan into action.

Here is a link to my report from the 2007 youth world fly fishing championships giving you an idea how these techniques have worked out for me.

http://www.flyfishingcanada.net/fly-fishing-canada-youth.php

John Bransfield

Member of 2006, 2007, and 2008 Canadian Youth National Fly Fishing Team

Are you also planning to go into the negative impact this type of fishing has on the river and the fishstock?

Don't get me wrong, I also use those methods but I am wondering why you need those in Alberta?

It works fine when fishing a river where the fish are educated, like Belgium and French waters, but I do not see why you need it in Alberta.

Hi John, good luck and I hope you have a successfull clinic. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I hope you don't mind a bit of discussion on the subject. I use these methods here in S. Alberta on a regular basis and they are indeed very effective nymphing techniques.

As for negative impacts on the fishery, would you care to elaborate a bit DutchDryfly?

Guest RedWiggler
Are you also planning to go into the negative impact this type of fishing has on the river and the fishstock?

Don't get me wrong, I also use those methods but I am wondering why you need those in Alberta?

It works fine when fishing a river where the fish are educated, like Belgium and French waters, but I do not see why you need it in Alberta.

Jesus, you cant say anything around here..........whats up????? :peesout:

Some discussion would be great, on the subject of negative impact?

How dozech nymphing and its sister nymphing techniques have a negative effect on fisheries? Why would you limit yourself to an indicator in January on Stauffer where the brown trout get spookier, defiantly not as spookier as fario browns which Spanish nymphing was developed for but they can be tricky none the less. Even in the summer when I’m fishing a stream that has been pounded or already fished that day I’ll quit often switch over to this style of nymphing. If you’re worried about fish getting foul hooked, well i plan to explain the proper separation length on your dropper in the clinics bit on rigging up a leader. If i sound to defensive speak up I’m just trying to cover the areas on this that you might find negative.

I mean your catch rates go way up when these methods are used in their proper environment and if you are using barbless hooks like you are supposed to in all of Alberta you really shouldn’t be doing much damage.

If you are referring to the Czech Republic’s fishery and why their water are mostly stocked, we’ll the Czech Republic is a pretty big meat fishery and the rivers like the Vltava get pounded and the locals don’t throw back to many fish.

I’m open to opinions so speak up on how this technique is more damaging than any other??

John,

I think it is great for flyfishermen to learn new skills. So please understand this is not directed against you personally.

As I said before, I use those methods myself, but am also aware of the negative impact it can have.

That is why I asked if you also plan on explaining those, because if someone is aware of the damage they can do, they can take measures to have the littlest impact and still enjoy the fishing.

One of the major impacts is the disturbance of the riverbed. As CN is all about systematicaly fishing every inch of the river, an angler will have a huge impact on the riverbed. Which is why those methods are more and more forbidden to use on streams across Europe. This can be solved to fish only small stretches. Another issue is that you catch every fish that is holding in that particular spot. I agree barbless is the way to fish, but to get deep the hooks used are often big to hold enough lead. This in turn will damage small fish, as the hooks will penetrate eyes and even skulls of the small fish. This can be prevented by using smaller hooks and using tungsten instead of lead as weight and stop fishing that particular spot when you start catching smaller fish.

So please take the time in your clinic to point out that CN, PN and SN can be very effective, but they can also have a negative impact.

Rob

Rob im very sorry to hear your loss.

I also want you to know i appreciate your opinion, I will try to adress some of the concerns you have brought up. In terms of big hooks the biggest I usually go with this is a size six worm, my biggest cz nymph hook being size 8. I personally have never had much trouble with hooking in the eye ect..

On the river bed note I understand what your getting at but, i have a hard time believing that it disruptes the sedment, vegetation, ect because in the grand sceme of things a rig that of three nymphs that probally doesn't weight much more then 4-5 grams in total will not distrupt much. Plus if you have corectly tied your czech nymph it shouldn't be extremly heavy just hydrodynamic. Although I do have a few rows in my box of my "Bombs" to get down in the current.

If fished correctly your nymphs should be suspended in the water collum, about a foot above the bottom in the fishes feeding lane.

In terms of catching lots of fish, taking them from their lies ect I agree with you one-hundred-percent, if you have a clear pool where you can see every fish it is quiet easy to systimatically pick off each fish which is disruptive of course, but how much more then if fishing an indicator, spooking those other fish out of their feeding lane, ect.

You bring up some good point but I still believe that it is no worse then fishing a BAW infact the way I fish them a lot better then a size 3 BAW.

I guess thanks for bringing up these points but i believe if done properly which i hope to show in this clinic how to do, CN SN and PN have no more damage then indie nymphing.

I appreciate your opinion and understand this isn't personally against me.

Although after having seen two world championships where the river bed and fish were no worse for wear just a little wiser after being fished over five three hour sessions by the best youth fly fishermen in the world. I don't personally believe it causes alot of damage, the rivers around state college are fishing just aswell this year as last year.

Anyways this is just what I have observed take it or leave it I guess. Maybe this dicussion will intrigue a few people to get interested in my clinic hahah :blush:

John

John,

In terms of disturbing the riverbed I am actually not implying the flies are, but the feet of the angler.

As you know, you fish a short line and after one or two drifts, you should take one step upstream and do another drift or two.

This causes a lot of disturbance, much more then fishing longer lines where you present your flies at different lengths.

With longlining you can fish up to 15 meters and then move on. So this will have less impact.

As for the big hooks, I also fish with size 8 and 6 for te CN, but will move on after catching two "normal" sized fish. I have had to many small fish that were damaged to completely fish a spot empty.

Note that this not only occuring during CN, I also noticed that this occured when fishing last summer in Norway with a light spey for trout.

I could not get the small trout to leave my speyflies (size 6) alone, which resulted in a few trout having to be put out of their misery.

I changed to a size 10 and the problem was solved.

I hope your clinic goes well, as CN, SN and PN are great tools when you are in desperate need of catching fish. ;)

Needless to say I can not attend, unless you want to give your clinic in Europe. :D

ALright so the first five people to have signed up have priorety if the date doesn't work for you then stacks and his girlfriend would be willing to take your spot.

first five people to sign up are alhuger, johnnyboy8, rickr, JFO, and Hammertime08. Planning on running this sunday the 21st of september on the crowsnest river. If I can get four more people I will look at doig a second clinic in october.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Brunsie it was a team effort from day one and we came out on top. It was a pretty stiff competition with USA's finest and of course Equipe airflo and double hauls had us untill the last session, we had no blanks and two first places in our group which made us seconde in the competition and first in canada. When full results come out i'll post them here.