Fly Fusion Forums

Coming To Calgary...need Advice

Hey boys Pheasantnut here from Edmonton, well took Max and Toolmans nymphing course a couple of months back and fiiiinally get to come to calgary to fish the bow.....so I'm only in for a day and was looking for direction on what flies have been working.....any advice is appreciated.....Cheers Andrian

I will be coming up to Strathmore on Thursday night and would like to go fishing in Calgary on Friday. Where would be an easy place to drive to as I have an old car that can't handle to much. Is it worth trying in town or am I better off staying out of town. Strathmore is right by the Carseland Weir is there any good fishing around there? Anybody wanting to meet up and go for a walk and wade maybe?

Excellent. Is there any maps of the area that show the trails leading to the water?

Edit: I looked at Google Earth and Google Maps and found the weir. Are you allowed to fish in the zoo? On the Google Map there is a park called the "Bow River Park" right by the Crowchild Trail NW Bridge. Looks like there is some parking there. Would that be a good place to start and walk upstream?

Thanks guys :) :)

I was referring to the Carseland weir by Strathmore, just turn south from #24 at the thriving metropolis of Carseland. There is all kinds of parking and access at the Bow River Park, but if you only have a day, the more southern portion of the Bow in Calgary might be kinder to you. I often fish right by the Crowchild bridge and typically just catch a few whities.

Thanks a lot much appreciated. I have to go in to Okotoks now in the morning to drop off my gf I was thinking coming back on the 22X and it looks like there is a little road leading to the river by the golf course. Then I can just drive down the 22X further till I hit the 24 then turn down towards Carseland. That could be a good day :)