Fly Fusion Forums

Vest Vs. Pack

darrinhurst

I've been thinking about getting a vest as my next purchase for this wonderful sport of fly fishing as I think that it would be easier to carry my crap around in than my tackle kit I won in a hockey tournament some years back. But, I have noticed as well a number of you wear packs instead. Do you find them more comfortable? Easier to use? Better access to your gear?

Where would be a better place for me to invest my money?

Neither. Get a backpack and a shirt with a couple of big chest pockets. Leave the pack on the shore where you stop to fish and keep a fly box, tippet spool, and nippers in the shirt pockets. Vests and chest packs are just too hot to wear all the time in warm weather. If I didn't need a way to carry my lunch, water bottle, and rain jacket I don't know if I'd even bother with the back pack any more either.

That's kinda what I have been doing to date, but it's a fleece vest that I wear. Gets pretty damn hot I tell ya, but it holds my stuff. I just need something to hold my gear in full time, then I just grab it throw it in the car, and then throw it on when I get to the river.

You make some very good points though. Thanks.

I wear a lanyard with forceps on a zipper, clippers, a hook sharpener, a tie-fast, a bottle of gink, and tippet in 2X-6X.

I wear my vest if I'm doing a full day because I can throw lots of stuff in it. If I'm bombing down for a few hours or fishing where I know I won't have to change it up, I throw a fishing shirt on and toss a box in it. If I'm in my boat I throw a few boxes in the pockets and I'm good to go.

I like the idea of a pack because you can throw a sweater and a thermos in it for the late fall/winter.

I switched from a vest to a chest pack this year. I find the chest pack much cooler in the heat. The unexpected bonus of the chest pack is that the size (how it fits) can be adjusted easily with the straps, allowing for more layers in winter without any restrictions. On the down side, it's tough to pack lunch into it and if the front is overloaded, it’s tough to see your feet. I find fishing with a backpack on smaller streams tough, lots of putting down and picking up, on bigger water it's alright because you can kind of set up camp. All said I'm happy with the chest pack.

agreed....most of the crap people carry in a vest they only use on certain streams. back pack w/ shirt pockets all the way. i use the shoulder pads to dry my hooks. used a lanyard till my girlfriend laughed at me.....so ....

I use a vest in summer on floats where I switch between dry/streamer/nymph and want to have options. In the winter it's strictly nymphing, so I prefer to go light and carry only a small chest pack. By the way, I love Fish Ponds packs and vests. They are a bit pricey, but worth it in my opinion....

Cabelas online is having a pack sale

Watermark Caddis Chest Pack $69.00 marked down to $29.00

Watermark Drake Chest Pack 79.00 down to 29.99

William Joseph Watermark Midge Chest Pack 49.00 to 25.00

if your in the market worth a look

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...sp?id=cat603536

now where did the wifey hide that dang Visa

I've been looking at that too. Anyone here have one?

So I took a look at it over at Fish Tales this morning and tried it on. Love it. They have it priced at $129.00 retail. Including shipping and exchange through Cabella's, it's only $89.00. It would be crazy to spend an extra $50 just to get it locally wouldn't it? I love Fish Tales, but I love my money more......

So I took a look at it over at Fish Tales this morning and tried it on. Love it. They have it priced at $129.00 retail. Including shipping and exchange through Cabella's, it's only $89.00. It would be crazy to spend an extra $50 just to get it locally wouldn't it? I love Fish Tales, but I love my money more......

As always, you'll find some items waaaaaaay cheaper over the internet and always on that range $50 - $60. To get small stuff like flies, tippet, etc.. I go to the local store but for special things like rods, reel, packs..I don't hesitate to get it from the internet, you can save a looooot of money.

Guest RedWiggler

Started off with a vest, vests are good. Ended up 2 winters ago using a backpack, backpacks are good. I fing backpacks good in the winter/fall but lately or shall I say this summer. I have found the backpack to much work, everytime you need to change a fly you need to back out of the water take it off and then find what you need to do the job - in the dark its a bit of a hassle, especially when you are changing flies every 5/6 casts to try and match the hatch. Or you can leave it on shore and then you have to go back for it or exit the water anyways, they are little more work than vests. So I just bought a Fishpond Wildhorse Teck Pack as it has the backpack function and I can access everything else I need from the front without having to take anything off or get out of the water. So what are my thoughts on Vest VS. Pack, well I think they are both great I just feel that vests are little easier to use you just cant get as much stuff in them.