Fly Fusion Forums

Size Matters

Bigtoad

Uliwon I think your size/wt estimates are very close to the real thing. There are not many fish over 26" in the Bow. The big browns I've caught were strangely caught in the early spring (29" in March, 32" in April). The 29" fish was thin and not too heavy. The 32" fish must have missed the spawn the fall before because she was a pig of about 12-13lb. I've caught 4 browns at 27" and they would be about 7lb. Biggest rainbow for me was 27.5".

Fly gear probably decreases the chances of catching huge fish eaters as well. Rapalas would be more effective. I've heard of browns over 12lb being caught on gear (and bait in the old days) below Carsland. The number of big old browns seems to be increasing with the decreasing number of bait fishers in the city during the fall. Perhaps Dave and Max will get a bunch of 29"+ fish this year.

well if I was armed with a two hander and could swing 8" streamers through those city runs in October I'm sure I would see some impressive fish chasing them down...

Below Carsland weir too...fish like that would pull down a spey nicely too...instead of skipping across the surface like a turbo dynk.

yea the big fish in teh bow seem too stop in teh mid 20s i do find a few exceptions lastyear with halfdozen over 26 lastyear.. best time for me too get em seems too be in april and may before she gets too murkey and again in september.......... hard too find a big bow tho usually somewere along teh banks after runoff! hard sightfishing em tho with shaky hands! i did a few float a year or two ago were we tossed large flies in teh 6-8inch range in august and moved a goofy amount of large trout didnt get many takers btu they were interested! every year the fishing seems too eb on the up and up tho and hopefully down teh road we will see more fish over 26 and even 30......... might take a decade or more tho.. specially with the new water treatment plant being put in.. if it is going too work like they say it will with minimal nutrients being pumped(most ebing trucked out) in and jsut warm water tehre will be even more open water and more open water means better wintering habitat for alot mroe fish too grow faster through teh winter!

• 1 month later...