Fly Fusion Forums

Speycasting Clinic

speyghillie

Hi Guys,

I now have set a couple of dates for my Fall Speycasting Clinic (no snow please), i will be in Calgary for a few days before and after the weekend if anybody would like a one to one Speycasting Day, please send me a PM.

The Weekend Clinic will be on the Saturday the 13th September and Sunday the 14th of September.

The cost will be $150.00 Per student per day .

I will cover different Speycasts including Traditional short and long belly casting and there applications, as well as fishing sink tips, full sunk lines.

Each Student will recieve a signed copy of Scott Mackenzie's Speycasting Masterclass DVD at a discounted price, as well as a few other products i will have with me.

Please send me pm if you would like to join one of the classes or like a One to One day on the River.

Thanks Gordon.

good too see your heading back dude but i wont be able too make it... have a week of outta town starting on teh 11th.... should be a dope clinic tho... anyone who wishes too learn how too toss the long lines needs too eb in teh clinic. gordy is a great guy with tons of knowledge!

Thanks for the kind words Max, i am sure we will get some fishing done, i will be in BC for a month after Calgary, got a place to stay if you want to come fish some of the Lakes in the Okanagan.

Just got back from the west coast of Scotland and the weather was beautiful, i had forgotten just how beautiful the west coast is.

As for the Speycasting Clinic i only have three spots left for the Saturday day.

Thanks Gordon.

Hey Speycasters,

Still got two spots left for the Saturday Clinic, if you have never Speycast before and would like to try, or if you have done quite a bit of Speycasting , i feel i will be able to help improve your casting style as well as make it a fun day on the river .

Thanks Gordon.

Hi jksnijders,

No Problem with a outfit for the day if you need one, i will have a few rods and lines for anybody to try out or use on the day.

I only have a couple of Places left for the Saturday Clinic but feel i will be able to help on the day whether you are just learning to Speycast or have been speycasting for a while,..... or at least i hope so after 22 yrs of Teaching on the River Spey .

Just let me know if the Saturday is suitable for you.

Thanks Gordon.

Hi jksnijders,

We will be meeting at Southland Dog Park at 9am on Saturday morning, in the car park.

I will have plenty rods all set up for the clinic and if anybody need a shot of one, just bring your waders if you have them and some lunch.

Still a couple of places left for the Saturday. :D

Thanks Gordon.

Was a excellent day out.

Really enjoyed using the long line.

Was a blessing to excerinced it with Bob and Dan

I must say it was pretty wild to pick up Gordy's Bruce and Walker and bomb out a 100Foot Plus cast.

For once I didn't take many photo's cause I was diggin casting the Long Line, but here are a couple of photo's

Dan001.jpg

Gordy001copy.jpg

BobandGordy001.jpg

Hey Gordon,

What's up with putting a line with a 110' belly, on that B&W Norway 10150 and not warning me?...C'mon man, that is one heck of a long line to cast on a 15' rod. Of course, I was able to get the whole line out there, but what a surprise when I first tried to lift it out of the water for a single spey cast and my anchor landed 30' downstream!!!..... Yikes! I've been set up! :o

I bet you were having a good chuckle watching me struggle with those first few casts... :lol:

Hey Toolman,

Not one chuckle :cheers: , it takes a few casts to get used to a guys fishing rod :D , was a great couple of days and when you and all the guys got going there was no stopping the big casts flying out past the drift boats, when you cast and transfer that much line.... the rest is easy.

Will need to bring back a longer line next time.

Hope to get a couple of days fishing on the way back.. will be in touch so you can teach me to catch fish on the Bow.

Gordon.

Hey Toolman,

Not one chuckle :cheers: , it takes a few casts to get used to a guys fishing rod :D , was a great couple of days and when you and all the guys got going there was no stopping the big casts flying out past the drift boats, when you cast and transfer that much line.... the rest is easy.

Will need to bring back a longer line next time.

Hope to get a couple of days fishing on the way back.. will be in touch so you can teach me to catch fish on the Bow.

Gordon.

Gordon,

No problem dude let me know when you back and I will show how I rape the bow river, note: I need no ropes, lol.

And bring a bigger and meaner rod next time, I wanna hit the other side of the river.

Hey Bhurt,

No Problem, need some tips on fishin the Bow, just at my buddies house and forgot i had a 13ft Norway speycaster here, a little mean machine it is too, hope to do a clinic in the Spring so will bring the 18ft rod for a bit of fun, THEN YOU WILL HIT THE OTHER SIDE,

Its not that you have to, just nice when you can , and now and again its good to just let them fly, nothing better than blasting the line out after a crap day at work, its the flycasting fishing feel good factor. :cheers:

Will be in touch to learn from you and toolman how to fish the Bow.

Gordo

WEATHER WARNING , it will be snowing in Calgary the first weekend in May, April will be nice, sunny and warm, with a big freeze coming in on the first weekend in May. :crybaby:

Gordo.

Gordy,

One thing you have to remeber about fishin the bow is that the weather can turn on you really quick.

About a month ago I floated the lower section with a buddy of mine, and for the last half it looked like we were going to get *hit on. We heard the occasional boomer, then it started to drizzle, *hit I just had my shorts and a thin t-*hit on and knew it was going to get wet. Anyways for the last 10mins of the trip it jst poured like a tropical storm. Fast, hard, and wet (kind of like then vermon girls, eh gordy.)

Point of the story, prepare for anything when fishing the bow.

My buddy Hawgstoppa put it the best way to me: *Either you kick the *hit out of the Bow River or the Bow River will kick the *hit out of you.