Fly Fusion Forums

Accomodations In Maui For Christmas

My family and I are going to Hawii for Christmas and wanted to head out to Maui

Looking into hotels or rental property that will leave enough money left over so we can actually do something.

Hotels i checked out look really good but airfare and accomodations are really expensive.

Last time i was there 2 years ago we staying in great hotels - had nearly daily excursions (you know touristy stuff to get to know the place bit better).

when i look into airfare and hotel (and for nearly 5 days shorter) it was the same cost as our entire holiday last time.

So i was wondering if anyoneknew of any deals or had apartments to rent

4 people (parents and teenage daughters)

Appreciate and ideas

thanks

Last time we were in Hawaii, we rented a house from a site www.vrbo.com (Vacation rentals by Owner) and found lots of space at a reasonable price. We just used the same service again in Orlando and also rented a house - it is the way to go.

Last time we were in Hawaii, we rented a house from a site www.vrbo.com (Vacation rentals by Owner) and found lots of space at a reasonable price. We just used the same service again in Orlando and also rented a house - it is the way to go.

thanks we will take a look

Hey Bernie

We're heading out there next week.We rented a condo for a week for about 1200.00. Not sure what exactly your budget is, but I'll let you know how it is once we get back.

great thank you appreciate the advice and info

Hey Bernie. I was in maui in may for a wedding and we used that vrbo and it was way cheaper. We stayed at the eldarado outrigger in kaanapali. It is an awesome place Situated in the middle of 2 of the nicest golf courses i ever played besides the ones in the rockies.

Cal

We were there in February and rented a condo in Kihei, we had originally rented a house but found out that the local Gov't was clamping down on private rental properties as of Jan 1 2008. To rent a house was quite a bit cheaper than renting a condo but we did'nt want to take the risk of not having a place to stay when we got there.

We payed around $1200 per week as well for a fairly average condo.

Guest Sundancefisher
My family and I are going to Hawii for Christmas and wanted to head out to Maui

Looking into hotels or rental property that will leave enough money left over so we can actually do something.

Hotels i checked out look really good but airfare and accomodations are really expensive.

Last time i was there 2 years ago we staying in great hotels - had nearly daily excursions (you know touristy stuff to get to know the place bit better).

when i look into airfare and hotel (and for nearly 5 days shorter) it was the same cost as our entire holiday last time.

So i was wondering if anyoneknew of any deals or had apartments to rent

4 people (parents and teenage daughters)

Appreciate and ideas

thanks

I am going soon with two adults and three kids. I will give you feedback in about 3 weeks if you remind me.

Cheers

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher

Anyone notice all the warnings about not leaving valuables in the car as well as leaving the car windows down to prevent thieves from smashing them out?

Seems a real problem there.

We are fortunate to spend a couple of months a year in Maui.....usually 2-3 trips. We stayed at a number of different places before settling down at the Maui Banyan on South Kihei Road. We try to get a vrbo.com unit as they are always cheaper than going though the Banyan directly plus the units are generally better maintained and better equipped than the hotel units.

The units have full kitchens.....there are a number of BBQs, a couple of pools.....etc. Right across the street from Kamaole Beach.

You may have trouble getting a Christmas reservation.......it is a popular spot.

Open all your car windows and leave the doors unlocked......we have never had a break-in and no one steals a rental.....where are they going to go with it?

Doug

I just returned last Wednesday and we stayed in a condo at Maui Kamolli very nice, across the road from the marina and beaches in all directions.

While you are there, I would suggest booking a deep sea fishing trip with Strikezone, the crew is great!

I just returned last Wednesday and we stayed in a condo at Maui Kamolli very nice, across the road from the marina and beaches in all directions.

While you are there, I would suggest booking a deep sea fishing trip with Strikezone, the crew is great!

Seriously? We stayed at the Maui Kamole as well. The condos were great there BTW, located in Kiehi in the south west. Did you guys drive out to Hana?

thanks all of you for the info it is great

i dropped a line to the fishing guide adn will book as day trip!

Guest Sundancefisher

Just got back from Maui on Sunday.

We stayed at the Maui Kamaole resort. There are both private rentals and two agencies renting units out for tenants.

Just to give you an idea of value ...to purchase in here would cost you about $600,000 plus for a one bedroom floor level unit or $900,000 for a two bedroom ocean view unit. The properties seem to range in age from 10 years old to ~ 20 years old. Many units show their age but are no worse than any non upgraded home in Calgary of the same vintage.

While our carpet was crappy in the main floor the upper floor was fine. Some mold and discoloration in the grouting in the bathrooms. Water pressure was fine and air conditioners worked. Appliances were new and worked fine. Ice maker is a great money saver for using with a cooler. There units all have kitchens.

Recommend if you have the spare luggage capacity to check and take a nice cooler with you. Something portable with wheels would be best. Take duct tape with you for taping the lid shut. Great for taking macadamian chocolates home with you afterwards also :-)

One thing you must remember through out the island is tropical ants are a big problem. So are roaches. Keep all food off counters and tables. vacuum crumbs. We had no problems and there was a can of raid under the sink and I treated outside sliding doors on the deck just to keep them away from the inside. Keep doors shut to keep out ants, roaches and lizards.

The grounds at Maui Kamoele were super...great for families. There are two pools each different enough to make it worth while to visit. The grounds are also well maintained and there is great security and the place is quiet. The Kamaole beaches 2 and 3 are an easy walk to the bottom of the hill through the pathway. The beaches are great for body boarding after 10 am to dark. The island is very windy due to trade winds during the day.

I just heard the rates dropped 25%. We paid $224/d through fun sun I believe. Therefore for the kitchen condo 2 bedroom with great ocean view should be available for about $1200/week. Private rentals are usually cheaper but you may not have the same protection. We had problems with stuff breaking and the service group were out in less then an hour.

Hope this helps... PM me if you want any trip suggestions on what to do. We did most everything!

Cheers

Sun

Just got back from Maui on Sunday.

We stayed at the Maui Kamaole resort. There are both private rentals and two agencies renting units out for tenants.

Just to give you an idea of value ...to purchase in here would cost you about $600,000 plus for a one bedroom floor level unit or $900,000 for a two bedroom ocean view unit. The properties seem to range in age from 10 years old to ~ 20 years old. Many units show their age but are no worse than any non upgraded home in Calgary of the same vintage.

While our carpet was crappy in the main floor the upper floor was fine. Some mold and discoloration in the grouting in the bathrooms. Water pressure was fine and air conditioners worked. Appliances were new and worked fine. Ice maker is a great money saver for using with a cooler. There units all have kitchens.

Recommend if you have the spare luggage capacity to check and take a nice cooler with you. Something portable with wheels would be best. Take duct tape with you for taping the lid shut. Great for taking macadamian chocolates home with you afterwards also :-)

One thing you must remember through out the island is tropical ants are a big problem. So are roaches. Keep all food off counters and tables. vacuum crumbs. We had no problems and there was a can of raid under the sink and I treated outside sliding doors on the deck just to keep them away from the inside. Keep doors shut to keep out ants, roaches and lizards.

The grounds at Maui Kamoele were super...great for families. There are two pools each different enough to make it worth while to visit. The grounds are also well maintained and there is great security and the place is quiet. The Kamaole beaches 2 and 3 are an easy walk to the bottom of the hill through the pathway. The beaches are great for body boarding after 10 am to dark. The island is very windy due to trade winds during the day.

I just heard the rates dropped 25%. We paid $224/d through fun sun I believe. Therefore for the kitchen condo 2 bedroom with great ocean view should be available for about $1200/week. Private rentals are usually cheaper but you may not have the same protection. We had problems with stuff breaking and the service group were out in less then an hour.

Hope this helps... PM me if you want any trip suggestions on what to do. We did most everything!

Cheers

Sun

Wow!! We stayed there too last November. My report would pretty much echo yours.

The only thing that I would add is that if you are going to Maui...do the Blue Water Rafting Compnay trip. It was unbelievably cool...a little extreme, and snorkelling the BACK side of Molikini was worth the price of admission alone. The guides were great and they take you into the Lava caves down and past Big Beach.

Here is the link ... http://bluewaterrafting.com/

Enjoy Maui...it is a pretty incredible place.