Fly Fusion Forums

Best Way To Learn

Hey guys and gals, just a quick question.

Which style, dry, nymph or streamer is typically the best way to learn how to fly fish? I went down to the Bow below Cranston the other morning, and tried out the nymphs that I have, but I found that due to my rookieness (if that's a word) in casting, I was spending more time untying knots in my line caused by my strike indicator and my heavier fly weaving about each other. I found it quite difficult to cast as a rookie, should I be trying the dry fly until I get better at casting, or am I just casting challenged?

Thanks for the input.

Well here is my 2 cents, and I'm no expert. I found learning dries was easiest and nymphing very close behind. However I found the Bow the hardest river to learn on. I did most of my learning on smaller streams. The Bow is more difficult to read when you are just starting, it's inconsistent, and it's intimidating. All still apply and I've been fishing it now for 10 years. Also I found I was really focused on casting far instead of focusing on proper technique. I would recommend you frequent some smaller streams to get the feel for reading the river and how to present the different methods you mentioned. The smaller streams allows for better control and feel for what your fly is doing. As for casting, practice this in any park and you'll become much more confident very quickly. Just keep at it and soon you'll be bringing in a 20+ inch brownie.

Well here is my 2 cents, and I'm no expert. I found learning dries was easiest and nymphing very close behind. However I found the Bow the hardest river to learn on. I did most of my learning on smaller streams. The Bow is more difficult to read when you are just starting, it's inconsistent, and it's intimidating. All still apply and I've been fishing it now for 10 years. Also I found I was really focused on casting far instead of focusing on proper technique. I would recommend you frequent some smaller streams to get the feel for reading the river and how to present the different methods you mentioned. The smaller streams allows for better control and feel for what your fly is doing. As for casting, practice this in any park and you'll become much more confident very quickly. Just keep at it and soon you'll be bringing in a 20+ inch brownie.

When I am practising, should I be using a hook or a weight (split shot) on the end to simulate a hook? Or should I just use the line?

My vote be for dry fly. Also practice casting while not fishing ie at a local park allows you to focus on casting. I am really bad for not doing this but it really helps.

The number of knots you get casting nymphs goes down with time at least it did for me. Don't false cast your nymph rigs. 2 nymphs way easier to cast than 3. Change your strike indicator possibly.

Guest RedWiggler

I would say that learning how to cast a dry and a nymph set up is crucial to your fishing success. Casting dries and nymphs are a tad bit differant from each other. If it is production you are looking for then nymphing is the way to go, I dont know about the rest of you but when I learned it was a 2 nymph set up with a strike indicator then as a time went on I started fishing streamers and dries. In my opinion fishing streamers or dries is alot more exciting than nymphing but its all good either way, I like to mix it up a bit regardless of how good one technique is working.

I would say that learning how to cast a dry and a nymph set up is crucial to your fishing success. Casting dries and nymphs are a tad bit differant from each other. If it is production you are looking for then nymphing is the way to go, I dont know about the rest of you but when I learned it was a 2 nymph set up with a strike indicator then as a time went on I started fishing streamers and dries. In my opinion fishing streamers or dries is alot more exciting than nymphing but its all good either way, I like to mix it up a bit regardless of how good one technique is working.

Yeah I learned nymphing with a double set up as well before dries now that I think about it. But I did find tossing a dry much easier than the heavy nymph. Helped me learn to control my line and "place" my flies. I'm always switching what I'm doing on any given day given the conditions. It's important to learn all of them in order to fish all situations and times but nymphing in my opinion produces the most just as RedWiggler said but dries are so much more exciting.

Do what I did 17 years ago and pony up for some lessons at one of the local fly shops. It will cost you but is well worth the money.

Hanson's has a boot camp $200.00 and you get to keep the rod, reel and line.

Troutfitters $125.00

Fishtails $95.00

Countrypleasures $125.00

the things that make casting difficult for a beginner are 3 things (not that i'm a pro-star or anything):

1) weight on the fly

2) wind resistance of the fly

3) having multiple hinge points (multiple flies, indicators, swivels, split shots, split rings etc).

1) the weight of the fly will have an impact on how you cast. for a single fly, a dry should be the lightest and nymph the next lightest and a streamer the heaviest. there are exceptions but this is the general rule. the easiest to cast should be the lightest fly. a small dry (like a size #14-#20 parachute adams or elk hair caddis) you should be able to false-cast no problemo. if you're having problems with this step, then feel free to re-post or pm if you'd like more advice.

2) the wind resistance of the fly will impact how easy it is to throw out there and turn over. the bushier the fly, the harder it is to zing out there and turn over (which is a fancy way of saying that your leader straightens out). this is also impacted by the stiffness of your leader and tippet material. if you are chucking small dries and you find that your leader/tippet is not extending past the end of the fly line, then it is probable that you need to change the stiffness of you leader and tippet.

3) having multiple 'things' on your line will make things difficult. these can include any of the above things i mentioned before. stick with 1 fly for now until the casting is down. once it is down, you can add extras to your rig. once you add extras, i'd also suggest opening your loop up (cross that bridge when you get there).

to summarize, if you want to improve casting, then i suggest casting small dries (#12-20) on a 9' tapered leader. get that down and then move to casting a single nymph and then move to multiple jazz on your rig.

if you want to start nymphing with an indicator and 2 flies right off the bat, then learn how to roll-cast or cast with a larger loop.

my 2 cents.

hope this helps.

I would suggest going to your local park and learn to cast there without any flies. Just tie on some yarn on the end of an old leader and practice away.

Taking the fish out of the picture really allows you to focus on the mechanics of the cast. I still try to get out to practice every couple of weeks. :D

Do what I did 17 years ago and pony up for some lessons at one of the local fly shops. It will cost you but is well worth the money.

Hanson's has a boot camp $200.00 and you get to keep the rod, reel and line.

Troutfitters $125.00

Fishtails $95.00

Countrypleasures $125.00

Been there, done that. Took the Country Pleasures one back on July 6th. It appears that I still suck even though I ruled during the course. Mind you I didn't have a heavy hook and a strike indicator on it.

Been there, done that. Took the Country Pleasures one back on July 6th. It appears that I still suck even though I ruled during the course. Mind you I didn't have a heavy hook and a strike indicator on it.

Watch your back cast - I mean actually look back at your line during your back cast. You're possibly starting your forward cast too soon resulting in tailing loops, which often cause tangles. You can try nymphing without an indicator as well. Swinging nymphs can be pretty effective and some people don't use indicators at all. You might miss some fish while you learn to feel the hits, but once you get the hang of it you'll just know when to set the hook.

There's also nothing wrong with casting a single nymph until your cast gets better. Get the hang of casting the one nymph, then add an indicator, then add a second and third fly or something like that. Every thing you have on your leader - flies, shot, indicator - adds complexity to the equation, so start simple and work your way up.

Knots in your leader come from tailing loops (that is - you're line is getting tangled in mid air because the loop is collapsing). There are many causes of this (too much rod arc, not enough power, power at the wrong time, wind,...) and many ways of correcting it. Practicing enough that you learn to control the line path (back and forward cast), and get the feel of how the rod loads is important to aid success and enjoyment. On the water can be a frustrating place to learn.

If you're a visual learner look up some of the many videos on YouTube on casting instruction or rent some from a fly shop. Lefty Kreh's book on Presenting The Fly has some excellent descriptions of many different types of casts. All of them are useful in different situations.

The knots in your leader are caused by a tailing loop. The loop is caused because you are starting the forward part of your cast too early...before the loads...and the result is that the top of your loop passes underneath the bottom of your loop. The solution is to slow your cast down when you are casting heavy, wind-resistant flies or split shot. Using two nymps makes this even harder because of the multiple hinge points. An indicator will do the same thing. There are five essentials of your cast that should be taught by any compotent instructor.

1. You must eliminate any slack in your line before you start your cast.

2. There must be a steady acceleration through your cast. Starting from when you pick your rod tip up and increasing until the pause in your back cast and once again after the pause until the end of your forward cast.

3. You will only get an efficient loop if your rod tip travels in a straight line. In other words, your rod must always be on the same plane. Changing the path of your rod tip will cause an open and inefficient loop.

4. The overall length of the casting stroke will be determined by the amount of line beyone your rod tip. In other words, the longer the cast, the longer the casting stroke will last and the longer your pause will be.

5. Most important to avoid the tailing loop...there must be a pause at the end of your back cast and also at the end of the forward cast. The pause allows your line to straighten out behind you...when the line is straight, your rod is loaded and ready to start the forward cast. If you pause too long, your line will collapse and you will lose all of the stored energy in the line and the rod and you will end up working twice as hard on your forward cast and will throw a sloppy loop.

As was suggested, go and cast in a park for and hour or two each day until you are getting loops that are approximately 20" wide. Then take the lessons the river. Also, learn how to roll cast. It will make your nymphing much easier.

Awesome summary!

I'm no expert but may I add that it might also help to mark your line where the taper ends, i.e. where the head meets the shooting line. Myself, for any kind of traditional style of casting, I've found that I get optimal loading when I begin a cast with just the head off the rod and like J said, have no slack in the line that is on the water.

Hey guys and gals, just a quick question.

Which style, dry, nymph or streamer is typically the best way to learn how to fly fish? I went down to the Bow below Cranston the other morning, and tried out the nymphs that I have, but I found that due to my rookieness (if that's a word) in casting, I was spending more time untying knots in my line caused by my strike indicator and my heavier fly weaving about each other. I found it quite difficult to cast as a rookie, should I be trying the dry fly until I get better at casting, or am I just casting challenged?

Thanks for the input.

I think most of us have had the same experience, Just think that you are going to the river to "flycast" and perhaps catch a fish. You learn more about this game every time out ...Enjoy

To me the three basic things a new fly fisher MUST do in order to get better is three basic simple things.

1) PRACTICE

Alot of people think there is soemthing magical you need to know or do to become a great fly fisher. Well they are ALL wrong. Just like everything else we doo in life the more we practice the better we get. This means the more time you spend on the river actually fly fishing, the better you will become.

2) COFIDENCE

This is more mental then anything practical. You gotta believe in what you are doing and work towards mastering it. It also helps catching fishing when you go out with the cofidence that you are going to successed.

3) INSECTS

Knowing what the fish eat in the area that you fish is also a huge thing. The fish will more likely eat your fly if it is what they are feeding on. You do not nessassary (even though it will help you huge) all the insects out there but if you can match it up as close as possible to what they are feeding on then you should start catching some trout.

Sure you can break down what type of cast you should be doing weather you should be dry fly or nymphs or streams but I would suggest taking one thing, learning it and then going out with the right fly, with cofidence and practice it till you master it.

When I started out I did a three year program (in year three now)

YEAR ONE: Basics

Started out nymphing and just learning in general how to fish

YEAR TWO:

Streamers and some dry flies was my main focus even though I did do alot of nymphing everything new I was learning and practicing revolved around Streamers and Dry Fly

Year THREE

Insects, Insects, Insects and perfecting everything else.

Another thing that might help out is by keeping a journal of every outting. Don't try to but in a ton of info just the basics, ie: weather conditions, hatches, water conditions, what flies used, where the fish were caught in the run (head, mid, tailout), etc.......

Hopefully this will help you out some.