Fly Fusion Forums

How Early Is To Early?

I like to get out early, just after sun rise. But not necessarily for the fishing but for the peace and quiet. Although most fish I catch out on a full day from sunrise to sunset are in the first 3 hours after sun rise and the last 3 hours before sunset.

They sure are tight to the banks, everything i caught was within 1-2 feet of the bank except one little guy 10' out. I usually go around 4:30 to 5 am for peace and quite. Finish my coffee and watch the sun rise then try slaying some of those fishes.

Come on, you guys are just putting poor Drew on. Everybody knows that there is no good fishing before 10 am, or after 8 PM. Nor is the fishing good when the water is cloudy, or high, or if it's raining. Clouds aren't very good either. Wind sucks. Cold sucks. Weekdays really suck because fish get confused when no people are around. Fishing less than 30 ft of the bank is an utter waste of time. Take a few months to practice casting really, really far. The best time to practice is anytime between Jun-October.

Really, the only time to fish is on the weekends on warm, cloud free days between 10 AM and 8 PM. Fish only mid river runs. Really. I promise.

I'm an early on the water guy. Some people say you when the water is very cold you need to wait until it warms up before the fish are active. In my experience that is BS. If the water's cold you just need to adjust where and how you fish. I fish through the winter and do just fine at first light....