Fly Fusion Forums

Do I Need A 3 Wt?

reevesr1

I have started to fish some of the smaller rivers/creeks. To date the Crowsnest and Livingstone and I have my eye on some of the smaller tribs for the summer. So far, the smallest rod I have is a 5 wt TFO. If I am getting in to the smaller streams, how important is a 3 wt? I do have some other purchases to make this summer, including a new camera, and quite frankly the wife is getting a bit fed up with the fly fishing endless spending binge. Calls me a crack addict. Not far from the truth I guess. I have at least 6 trips planned into SW Alberta this summer. Can I get by with the 5, or am I really missing something?

Anyone got a cheap 3 wt to sell??

Guest bigbadbrent

you'll be fine with a 5, and you'll regret having it on the crow (or anywhere in southern alberta) if the wind picks up...I fish my 5 more just cause i like the way it casts, but the 3 and 4 does make appearances at times

If you love a hobby so much (like I do) you tend to buy the best stuff. So thats why u need more than 10 rods n reels.

SJW,

Didn't you just get into dirt bikes? I used to ride back in my late teens and early twenties when I had no money. You my friend are in deep, deep trouble! You think fishing is expensive? I shudder to think how much dirt bikes would cost me today. My son brings up the topic now and then and I say no VERY fast!

Hey, I just hijacked my own post! Is that a first?

So to tie it all together:Dave, you need funds for the dirt bike habit and have lots of fishing gear. I have some money and am in need of a 3 wt. when the wind doesn't blow (BBB, I have experienced the wind in the Crowsnest Pass. Unreal). Seems like a perfect match!

IMO, don't bother with the 3 wt unless you reeeaally want it and have money to burn.

I had to have one years ago and rarely used it, so I actually gave it to a buddy as a B-Day gift.

Your 5 wt is fine I'd say, but that's just me.

Then again, I like the big fish. I don't get much anymore out of catching little fish, so I have no use for a little rod like that.

In the end, it's up to you, but I figured I'd share my opinion.

Actually, I'm just bored and stuck in a hotel room in Fort Mac and I'm tired of tying flies for the night.

Do you NEED a 3wt? No.

Do you really, really, really want a 3wt?

Oh, yeah...you know you want it!

I dig my TFO 3wt a bunch- love my 2wt as well.

Of course, I love small creeks.

You gotta find what works for you.

Hope you enjoy that new 3wt!

Rickr feel free to take mine out for a spin before you buy one, I have 7 1/2' T&T 3wt and it's a blast so drop me a line.

I'd sure love to take her out for a spin.............you know what im talkin about. Oh oh oh oh ..yahh

Guest rusty

Honestly - all you need is a #5 for fishing almost anything around here.

However, it is really enjoyable fishing a #2 or #3 for smaller fish.

Best bet is to try a buddy's rig and see what you think.

I personally happen to believe that a man can NEVER own too many flyrods - but I'll bet that the wife does not share the same opinion.

I have a 4 wt, 4 piece TFO which I use a lot. It came with a nice case and packs up really well, so it's great if you're going to hike up a creek a ways before fishing, or for hike-in lakes. For big rivers like the Bow, or for chucking streamers, I go with my 6 wt. I would suggest you tell your wife that you simply can't do without a smaller rod. I'm sure she'll understand :-)

well I guess I go against the grain here. My 3WT is by FAR my favorite rod to fish. I have 8wt's 6wt, one 4wt, and my 3. The one that sees the MOST use is my 3. I fish crowsnest, small tribs, oldman, and even dry fly bow river with her. It's really not the size of rod vs the fish (well to a degree) but rather the size of tippet vs the fish. I can protect my 5x tippet on large fish much better with a 3wt than with a 5wt. Ask toolman how long it takes for me to scrap a 20+ rainbow to it's knees on the Bow in fast high water on my 3wt.... :lol::lol: not long...... if you know how to fight 'em...

My setup is a StCroix Legend Ultra 3WT coupled with an Islander reel... (gold) *bling* :blink::lol:

I have a 1wt for the dinks and love it, when I get to use it (not for the Bow, but holds its own on the Liv).

A 3wt for any river/lake as long as its not too windy. Like HS, my favorite. Its light and when I pick it up after casting the 6wt, it feels like a feather. Worth it if you're old, fish alot and the tendons aren't as springy as they used to be.

A 6wt for windy days and/or when I need to cast farther.

Each rod was at least $200 (I built all 3), so thats over $600 for rods alone. Add reels and lines and you're getting up there.

Hawgstoppah,

What do you mean by protect the tippet?

what I mean is.... you will break a light tippet on a 5WT much more often than you will on a 3WT. The reason being the flexibility of the rod when the fish makes sudden movements. I've watched so many guys, even skilled guys, lose big bow river fish hooked on caddis and 5x tippet, and using their 5WT's that they won't put down ;)

what I mean is.... you will break a light tippet on a 5WT much more often than you will on a 3WT. The reason being the flexibility of the rod when the fish makes sudden movements. I've watched so many guys, even skilled guys, lose big bow river fish hooked on caddis and 5x tippet, and using their 5WT's that they won't put down ;)

That makes perfect sense, thanks.

I broke off a really nice brown in a creek the other day. 5X and 5wt. Didn't even realize I had broke him off until later, thought I had just lost him. Broke the tippet, not the knot, and with very little pressure. I am going with a guide this week with some clients. Maybe I'll get the guide to bring me a 3 wt!!