Fly Fusion Forums

Skagit Compact Kit

toolman

Picked up the new Airflo Skagit Compact Kit from Fish Tales today. Pretty sweet...Bombs away!

Complete set of 10 Heads, 2 Ridge running lines (20lb. & 30lb.), Line/reel case with two reel compartments.

StoneflysandHopper005-1.jpg

Lots of storage room in the top lid for sink tips, polyleaders, Spey lines, running/holding lines, cheaters, tippet spools etc.

StoneflysandHopper003-1.jpg

StoneflysandHopper020-1.jpg

StoneflysandHopper016-1.jpg

StoneflysandHopper019-1.jpg

Picked up the new Airflo Skagit Compact Kit from Fish Tales today. Pretty sweet...Bombs away!

Complete set of 10 Heads, 2 Ridge running lines (20lb. & 30lb.), Line/reel case with two reel compartments.

Very cool, must have an arsenal of rods to use this kit!

Dean

Toolman,

You must be single or a really brave man...my girlfriend gives me crap over new waders. "What...new waders...(insert sigh)...keep it up and we won't be able to afford food next month". What I would give to have your collection of gear. Good on ya. You could make a decent living writing reviews and promoting for fishing companies!

• 2 weeks later...

I was casting a couple of these heads on my Loop Goran 9126 and a Beulah 11'6 6/7 yesterday. On the Goran I was able to cast the 510 grain head as easily as my 600 grain Rio Skagit only with slightly more finesse. I had been considering selling my Beulah 6/7, but instead I'm going to replace the Elixir line with one of these and keep it.

Toolman, how are you finding the Ridge running lines? I got to play with the new SA monocore shooting lines and was really impressed by them.

The Ridge running lines have been working fine and I have used them for the past couple of years.

Lately, I have been experimenting with a rod length of 30lb. Ridge running line as a holding line, followed by 30lb Stren Stamina High Vis. Gold, which is a saltwater mono, for my shooting line. The Stren Stamina is quite stiff, lays out nicely on the water and shoots very well.

You might also consider these lines for your Beulah 7116 Spey, an Airflo 7/8 Scandi Head cut to 32' @ 385 grains or a Vision Ace 6/7, 354 grains @ 10m for a lighter feel or a 7/8 cut back too 385 grains.

Picked up my skagit compact today. Tried to get some of the SA shooting line but nobody in the city seems to carry it, though I could special order it or order online. Being the patient sort I picked up the Airflo Ridge shooting line instead :D

For the Beulah I think I'm going to play around with a 7/8/9 Windcutter Versitip on it. If I use just the belly with a tip it might work. The Airflo Compact Skagit I was casting on it before was 420 grains, so it should be ok.